Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What was your first car?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First car was shiny new 1979 Nissan 200 SX with genuine quadraphonic sound system and new-fangled cassette player! Bad choice for a 16 year old who'd previously only driven tractors and farm trucks. Loved the car and parked it in a ditch within a month.

My parents rectified the speeding situation by giving me a diesel Oldsmobile Cutlass. Unlke modern turbo diesels, the Cutlass had a converted gas engine and accelleration was so slow that it was physically impossible to get a speeding ticket unless you had a long, steeo hill with a school zone at the bottom.

Didn't run that one in a ditch!

It started to have problems within a year or so, though, and my father gave me his El Camino - combined all the worst features of a car and a truck. Couldn't carry passengers or heavy loads, had no ground clearance or 4WD, and was butt ugly. Had a good stereo and plenty of room for beer in the back, so I made do for a while.

Edited by bbbean

I'm glad I wasn't the only one saddled with the family's left over Horizon. Of course... I put two 12'' subwoofers in the back of mine and blasted Snoop Dogg as loud as possible. How stupid does that seem now!

1975 Toyota Corolla that was handed down to me from my sister in 1990. I covered the holes in the floor with brown indoor/outdoor carpet and was good to go. What a pile! I used to strap my 17' canoe to the roof and go duck hunting and drift fishing. Thinking back, I can't believe some of the places I took that car. :surprise:

Dude, Did you remove the front seats and sit in the back? ;)

1977 Jeep Wagoneer dark green. Knew nothing about cars, the first time I went to buy oil for it the guy asked if I needed a filter since I was changing the oil. Opps I'm just adding, it must be really low.............. It didn't last much longer after that and for some reason I got enrolled into auto shop that year too.

:cheers:

1966 Datsun Pickup with 1300cc's of squirrel power under the hood. Had to cut the seat springs so I could actualy sit in it. Custom welded on golf putter for a shift knob. Blew out 2 engines, smashed in every fender, found a wrecked one and put it in the back yard for spare parts. It only weighed 2200 pounds so when I got it stuck you could get a log and pry it out or if there were 3 of us we could pick the back end up.

I believe my dad bought for me so I would not kill myself.

1968 AMC Javelin, 290V8, Auto (All you Chevy and Ford guys can stop snickering).

It was not the fastest at school but it was nice and it Never, ever broke. In fact I had friends with mustangs, Firebirds, Camaro's, and even a Dodge super Bee and guess who they called when they needed a ride? (read:broke down)

I Just bought another, scince I let that one go when I joined the military, I always hoped I would get another. The new one is everything i had wished my first car was.

This one is a 1968 Javelin SST w/"Go-Pack" 343V8 4bbl, 4spd w/Hurst shifter, and a few Group19 High performance parts from the dealer catalog. The "Go-Pack" includes a 3.54 posi rear end and a host of other engine and suspension upgrades. Its a real gem with no-rust and only needs a few cosmetic fixes (mostly emblems)

post-6767-1255630478_thumb.jpgpost-6767-1255630491_thumb.jpg

1972 Pinto station wagon.

It was a trashcan on wheels.

The driver seat didn't lock so it would go all the way back when you hit the gas and all the way forward when you hit the brakes.

The hatch would never stay closed. The 6x9 speakers that I had in boxes would fall out if I took off too fast.

Reverse worked when it wanted to.

Most of the lower body was gone including both rear wheel wells.

......But boy did it run.

Traded it in on a 1976 Trans Am 455

Wish I still had that car!!

1968 AMC Javelin, 290V8, Auto (All you Chevy and Ford guys can stop snickering).

It was not the fastest at school but it was nice and it Never, ever broke. In fact I had friends with mustangs, Firebirds, Camaro's, and even a Dodge super Bee and guess who they called when they needed a ride? (read:broke down)

I Just bought another, scince I let that one go when I joined the military, I always hoped I would get another. The new one is everything i had wished my first car was.

This one is a 1968 Javelin SST w/"Go-Pack" 343V8 4bbl, 4spd w/Hurst shifter, and a few Group19 High performance parts from the dealer catalog. The "Go-Pack" includes a 3.54 posi rear end and a host of other engine and suspension upgrades. Its a real gem with no-rust and only needs a few cosmetic fixes (mostly emblems)

Very nice Mark...ultra cult!

• 2 weeks later...

1971 Mercedes 280 SE

As a high school kid it cost a fortune to fix anything on that car. (it's older than me) The instrument panel was still in German. So guy flagged me down once and asked me a few questions about the car. Turns out he was the guy who bought it new and imported it. Man the car was a blast.