Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is still use 6" Limited Gun?

mjbine

I just wondering how many are still using the 6" Limited Gun? Do you still love it or did you go back to the 5"? I thought about trying it but just did have the cash at the time. Now I am wondering if people are still using them and see any benefit for its use. All comments welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by mjbine

I still use it, and have no intention of going back to a 5" gun, other than as a backup. Single Stack and Production guns will be 5" as that's all that's legal.

My distance vision is still good, but, the front sight is too blurry. A special prescription helps greatly with the front sight. The drawback on the glasses is that the targets are kind of blurry. The longer sight radius keeps the front sight sharper, so the glasses don't have to be stronger.

I have been running a 6" limited for the last three years. I will never go back. I currently have two and I am thinking about getting a third. The sight radius is indispensable.

Been shooting my 6" Limcat Sabercat for almost five months now. I don't see myself going back to my 5" full dust cover Limited or my standard 5" for awhile since my 6" has made Limited shooting fun again.

Hard to believe anyone would rather have a 5" than 6". Having a longer one just does the job better. :)

What you do with it and how fast (or slow) is still more important than the size though...:P

Edited by gose

Hard to believe anyone would rather have a 5" than 6". Having a longer one just does the job better. :)

What you do with it and how fast (or slow) is still more important than the size though...:P

I have heard a lot of people say that............ Of course they are the ones who HAVE to say that.... :devil:

This makes me curious. (This is from someone who is having a 6" built, so this is not a mean post) I started a thread in the Nationals section mentioning an observation I made at the Nationals. All but one person on the Limited SS who was shooting a 2011 was shooting a 5"--and very plain, basic 5" guns at that. Voight shot a 6". Even TJ, who shot a 6" last year, was shooting a 5" this year. If it is so obviously better, why are the best shooters in the world not using them? It could be something as simple as their 6" was in the shop or something, but it could be something else as well. Oh well--I'll let you all know what I think after I get my 6" :)

If it is so obviously better, why are the best shooters in the world not using them? It could be something as simple as their 6" was in the shop or something, but it could be something else as well. Oh well--I'll let you all know what I think after I get my 6" :)

The better the shooter, the less the equipment is going to matter, IMHO.

I have heard a lot of people say that............ Of course they are the ones who HAVE to say that.... :devil:

So which is better, short and slow or long and fast? :)

If it is so obviously better, why are the best shooters in the world not using them? It could be something as simple as their 6" was in the shop or something, but it could be something else as well. Oh well--I'll let you all know what I think after I get my 6" :)

The better the shooter, the less the equipment is going to matter, IMHO.

Ya, ya. Its the Indian, not the arrow. Blah blah blah.

Only a foolish Indian would purposely use an inferior arrow (with the exception, of couse, of guys who are sponsored etc. who need to use a specific arrow). Guys at the top of the game use every advantage they can to win. A 6" may not be the huge advantage to them as it is to us lesser shooters, but I don't belive they would choose to NOT use it if it was good for even just a percent or two.

Not to hurt anyone's feeling but the best female shooter now shoots a plastic gun AND she can probably do better than many guys here with 1 extra “ gun.

I think the argument is more involved as to what works best for you.

Bob Lodrigan has a very interesting article light vs heavy, Bob knows how to build guns and he understand that a good shooter would prefer light, having said that TGO shoots a heavy gun and heavy bullets because he believes it helps reduce recoil and because he probably shoots a lot thus reducing any potential injury.

I shot a 6” and I think I prefer the 5”, it responds quicker to transition for me and it is easier to get the gun ready to shoot during presentation. I couldn’t distinguish the perceived recoil reduction from a longer gun, but it felt slower.

I hope this helps.

DVC,

Sandro

Ya, ya. Its the Indian, not the arrow. Blah blah blah.

Only a foolish Indian would purposely use an inferior arrow (with the exception, of couse, of guys who are sponsored etc. who need to use a specific arrow). Guys at the top of the game use every advantage they can to win. A 6" may not be the huge advantage to them as it is to us lesser shooters, but I don't belive they would choose to NOT use it if it was good for even just a percent or two.

You're assuming that a 6" gun is a superior platform for everyone, which is patently incorrect. There's a lot more to it besides the site radius.

Its the same reason many pro golfers use muscle back blades instead of cavity back, perimeter weighted irons. There are obviously other considerations that makes the stroke and distance penalty for an OB acceptable when a more forgiving club would have kept them in play.