Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-CTR-02 problem in 1st 3-gun match

Rowdy-Finn

I bought a JP AR about 5 yrs ago to use at Knob Creek MG Shoot "assault-rifle" competitions. Moved to Hawaii for a few yrs. and did not take it there. I came back to the mainland a couple of mos. ago and tried to use it at a local 3-gun match. Had some jambs where 2 rounds were nosed into chamber area at the same time, almost side by side. Pretty hard to clear! Needless to say the jambs blew the match for me. Any thoughts out there?

The previous posts are full of misinformation.

I really think you have a bad gun. JP Rifles are known to do this. I could probably work on it an MAYBE get it to function properly. I'll tell you what, I'll take it off your hands for $500 and you can pick up something else and relieve yourself of the headache. :D

The previous posts are full of misinformation.

I really think you have a bad gun. JP Rifles are known to do this. I could probably work on it an MAYBE get it to function properly. I'll tell you what, I'll take it off your hands for $500 and you can pick up something else and relieve yourself of the headache. :D

that is so bad!

The 2 shell thing side by side ( or on top of one another) is NOT a rifle malfunction. There is no way that with the design of the AR15 magazine and bolt face that you can pick up 2 rounds at once. :o (Ain't I right KurtM?, go ahead, tell me I'm wrong.....you'll be lying!!)

What probably happened is that you had a round fail to go into battery.....pulled back on the charge handle and fed another round....hence the dreaded 2 round pile up.

Seen this many times......and as an RO, I see the round stuck at that wierd angle "saying to myself, drop the mag, drop the mag.....no, no, no, no.....don't charge it!!.....oops too late, now we are gonna sit and wait".

So, assuming that this was a fail to send a round into battery, it could be a magazine problem (most likely) or just one of those glitches....keep track of that mag and see if it happens again. BUT, if it does happen again.....for the love of pete!!...drop the mag before you go and try to charge the weapon again!!!!!!

Something I caught ...."1st 3gun match".......rule of thumb for newbie....when rifle fails to fire, and more importantly....fails to go click (trigger)....DROP THE MAGAZINE!!!! Free training...no charge!! :)

Tim

PS....OIL???? CLEANING???? what are these terms???? Kinda sounds like PRACTICE to me.

Edited by TRUBL

I have a JP15 and I had the same exact problem at a local match last year and at the West Point match this year. After talking with Brock at JP we narrowed it down to the mags and he suggested using pmags. After switching to pmags I havent had a problem since.

Matt

Yes, you double charged the handle. two things will make this go away for good, oil the snot out of the

"inside" of the carrier, you know those gas bleed holes in the carrier, fill them with oil every 60 rounds or so,

and secondly, put some powdered graphite in your mags when loaded. Done !!

You see an AR cant extract a round, extractor actually touching the round, until the round is fully seated

in the bolt. If it jammed before it got to the bolt/chamber, ie.coming out of the mag, etc. pulling the charge

handle only puts another one next to it. The dreaded death jam. When I get a jam in an AR the first I do is tilt

the rifle to the left and look into the chamber to see if I'm going to pull the handle or drop the mag !!

The 2 shell thing side by side ( or on top of one another) is NOT a rifle malfunction. There is no way that with the design of the AR15 magazine and bolt face that you can pick up 2 rounds at once. :o (Ain't I right KurtM?, go ahead, tell me I'm wrong.....you'll be lying!!)

What probably happened is that you had a round fail to go into battery.....pulled back on the charge handle and fed another round....hence the dreaded 2 round pile up.

Seen this many times......and as an RO, I see the round stuck at that wierd angle "saying to myself, drop the mag, drop the mag.....no, no, no, no.....don't charge it!!.....oops too late, now we are gonna sit and wait".

So, assuming that this was a fail to send a round into battery, it could be a magazine problem (most likely) or just one of those glitches....keep track of that mag and see if it happens again. BUT, if it does happen again.....for the love of pete!!...drop the mag before you go and try to charge the weapon again!!!!!!

Something I caught ...."1st 3gun match".......rule of thumb for newbie....when rifle fails to fire, and more importantly....fails to go click (trigger)....DROP THE MAGAZINE!!!! Free training...no charge!! :)

Tim

PS....OIL???? CLEANING???? what are these terms???? Kinda sounds like PRACTICE to me.

Thanks for the insight! I'll take a second to look before I leap next time! Thanks again.

I have a JP15 and I had the same exact problem at a local match last year and at the West Point match this year. After talking with Brock at JP we narrowed it down to the mags and he suggested using pmags. After switching to pmags I havent had a problem since.

Matt

Excuse my ignorance but, what are pmags?

Yes, you double charged the handle. two things will make this go away for good, oil the snot out of the

"inside" of the carrier, you know those gas bleed holes in the carrier, fill them with oil every 60 rounds or so,

and secondly, put some powdered graphite in your mags when loaded. Done !!

You see an AR cant extract a round, extractor actually touching the round, until the round is fully seated

in the bolt. If it jammed before it got to the bolt/chamber, ie.coming out of the mag, etc. pulling the charge

handle only puts another one next to it. The dreaded death jam. When I get a jam in an AR the first I do is tilt

the rifle to the left and look into the chamber to see if I'm going to pull the handle or drop the mag !!

Thanks for your response. So many wanna-be comedians out there it's great when you get a helpful response! I appreciate it. Edited by Rowdy-Finn

I fail to see where good information can not be humorous at the same time, Heck even the military printed up a comic book type maintenance manual for the M-16....imagine a talking oil can. They even got the guy who did a lot of illustrating for MAD Magazine to do the art work. Now excuse me while I go chase my dog magazine down. KurtM

Can someone post a picture of where exactly to oil a carrier? I'm still new to the AR15 platform, and seeing what you mean would really help.

Chris, do you have a standard carrier? If so, lube the 4 rails that are visible near the front of the carrier. Next, shoot some lube in the vent holes on the side of the carrier, to lube the gas rings...move the bolt back and forth a few times .....shoot a bit more oil in. It may not be what some of the experts do, but, it's served me well on an AR since 1978.

Matt

I picked some pmags up yesterday. They look pretty nice! Hope they work as good as they look! Thanks again!

Every 30 round PMag I have works great.

However, I have one 20rnd PMag I bought last week that won't lock the gun open when it's run dry. Works great when you hand-cycle, and all my other mags hold the bolt back, but this one brand new mag... *grrrrr*

Put 100 rnds through any magazine before you use it in a match. Even if you own a bunch like it that are 100%

Edited by MemphisMechanic

However, I have one 20rnd PMag I bought last week that won't lock the gun open when it's run dry. Works great when you hand-cycle, and all my other mags hold the bolt back, but this one brand new mag... *grrrrr*

Put 100 rnds through any magazine before you use it in a match. Even if you own a bunch like it that are 100%

Buddy of mine had the sme problem He was running a JP-15 and the magpuls wouldn'y lock back his bolt. He went to steel HK mags though

That sounds distinctly like the problem I've been having. Anyone else had problems with 20rd PMags? If so, is there an easy fix other than the trash?