Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

White Box 9mm

Suches

At a recent match, several people mentioned that "white box" 9mm rounds from my G34 sounded very different. Apparently, some were blasts, and some were pings. I'm sure that's the reason for my match results. But how consistent or inconsistent is the stuff? Would it be worth a little more $ for something else? And if so, what?

Let others shoot the Win white box ammo and you pick up the brass!!!!! :D

It has always been a source of amusement to me to see how many folks (at the local IDPA matches I attend) who don't reload. But, I guess when you can get Blazer ammo for 5.99 abox and only shoot 100 rounds or less it may not make sense to them to reload.

FWIW

Dennis

It is no great feat to make 9mm reloads that are accurate and consistent for less than $60/1000. Why spend $110/1000 on White Box? Yes I found it to be inconsistent based on felt recoil and report. 25yd accuracy was hideous. I saw somebody shooting a G19 and they were making 138Pf so it's a little hot too. When I was using factory I found Magtech and Dynamit-Nobel(Geco) to be two much better alternatives.

I recently chronographed Blazer CCI and Winchester white box (9mm) to see what the differences were. Here's the results:

Blazer Winchester

1187 1143

1195 1171

1197 1211

I was shocked to see that the Blazer rounds were more consistent. As you can see, both rounds make PF easily.

FYI, you can purchase Blazer 9mm in the Dallas area for $3.99/box.

Rob

Every now and then I'm out of ammo and run to wallyworld and buy a couple hundred of them, though lately I've shot a boatload of them out of sheer laziness in the reloading dept. I've been pleased with them for the most part.

It seems to group okay at 25 yds in my G17. Works very well in my Springfield 1911. Never went to the range and compared them with my reloads or other ammo. Might be worth doing.

One thing I learned this weekend is how smokey the stuff is. Did a low light (non idpa) match that had you engage 12 poppers from around this barrel and by the fifth shot the smoke was really messing with me. The flashlight turned it into a dense screen.

Nah, I'll take the 50 bucks. I got lots of time, limited money due to gov't pay and corresponding unpredictable schedule that precludes a second job. Besides, I like the reloads better and I learn something other than how much I hate Wal-Mart.

Speaking of the saved time arguement, by the time I go to Wally land, wait for someone to find the keys, waste time telling them what their ammo sales policy really is, stand in line to check out and then drive home I could have loaded 400 rounds.

About 2 years ago i thought "factory ammo is better than reloads" especially since all i had was a single stage press, i ended up with a bunch of white box that would NOT go off. some of it took 3 strikes to go off in a beretta (i first thought it was my Elite 2's trigger job but after shooting in a stock glock i deterimined it was the ammo) i had a few rounds that never would go off, and they had craters in the primer from so many strikes.

Blazer is better ammo, but i don't like the flip of the 115 grain bullets. 135-147 shoots a lot flatter for me ( loaded to a 130 PF of course)

I was talking to Bruce Gray recently and he commented, "Have you noticed that Winchester primers don't work anymore? I mean that literally. Recently I've seen so many people have misfires, and it's always with Winchester primers."

Several years ago I knew a lady firearms instructor who told me that, when teaching a basic handgun class, everyone on the line who was firing a 9mm was having their gun choke. And she couldn't understand that, surely EVERYONE couldn't have bought a lemon. Then she realized what it was. The newbies had shown up for the class and bought the cheapest factory ammo the range was selling, for the class. That was, you guessed it, Winchester white box. We were discussing this because I'd had several malfs in otherwide 100 percent reliable guns, myself, with this ammo.

Also years ago, a friend and fellow gunwriter went to the SHOT Show. I wasn't there, but he tells me the Winchester rep just flat-out told him their white box ammo was made from factory second bullets and cases. This means, for every round of Winchester white box ammo you fire, there's something in the case, and something in the bullet, that Winchester considers a gross flaw, so much so they won't use those components in their "real" ammo. Admittedly, this is hearsay. And it was years ago.

Any time I need a refresher on why it is better to reload 9mm, I buy a box of the cheap 115, and then just look at the price of the "cheapest" 147 (usually about $4-5 dollars more than the 115's per 100). Then I go shoot the factory 115's, then shoot my 147 reload. My next thought is "Wow, I can reload these for less than this cheap crap, and in comparison my 147 feels like a .22."

I'll keep reloading 9, better quality ammo cheaper, and on a 1050 it really doesn't take all that long.

To each their own.

Reloading 9mm makes sense for those who can't find a consistent supply of affordable factory ammo. When I lived in Berkeley North (aka Portland) it was virtually impossible to get anything in a decent quantity unless you went to the gun show and bought North Southerian Slobovian surplus ammo in the handy, shrinkwrapped 1 Ton pack (METRIC tons, mind you). Then you had to give up your credit card and/or driver's license to borrow a hand truck to cart an ammo box the size of the Queen Mary 3/4 of a mile to your car. You had to take the cart through the *side* door - no going through the front, heavens no.... Of course, the side door was one way entry, so you had to prop it open and hope nobody took the chock out in the time it took to walk a mile and half, otherwise you had to wait fifteen minutes for some other sorry schmuck to go out the side door with *his* ammo cart, while in frigging downpour.....OK...I'll just stop now.

Do that a couple of times and reloading 9mm seems like a goddamn vacation.

And I don't have to wonder about the quality or consistency of my ammo. It's all the same.

Since there isn't a source of major 9, I load mine, but probably would just the same if I was shooting minor. I like saving 50 bucks, and if I do it 2x a month, I have saved 1200 for the year, an important consideration for me. I also mow my lawn, wash my truck, and help with the housework, even though a maid wouldn't cost 50 bucks. About the only thing that I miss, is some crappy show on tv. I wouldn't necessarily work more hours to make an extra 50 bucks, but can give up some of the mind numbing things to spend a few hours at the reloader.

Mike

I get Blazer 115 gr for $3.99 a box, and just saw today the Yellow Box Remington 115 FMJ for $49.95 per 500 (or less than $100 per 1000).

Between the time it takes me to tear apart my 550 from .40 to 9mm and back, and loading, it just doesn't make sense to laod 9mm for me. But I shoot mostly .40, and have 9mm stuff around to play with when I'm to lazy to load I guess.

I'd rather shoot than load..... B)

Gosh, I haven't had any trouble with White Box 9s in my Glock 34, Kimber or my one flawless H-P. The stuff soots up like crazy, but I bought 10,000 rounds for $87 a thousand at a Big Box Store sale and it's perking right along.

We ran through 8,000 rounds of the stuff in Glock 17s and MP-5s at last weekend's Media Seminar (top Hollywood stuntwomen...I considered inviting you, Duane T., but then I though, "Naw, Duane wouldn't want to be around all those beautiful mega-muscled women with machine guns. I know he'd rather stay home and test a new 1911!") and I can't think of a single malfunction (at least on the part of the ammo...a couple of the instructors got the vapors...).

Reloading to me is punishment, right up there with hanging drywall as a fun rainy day Saturday activity.

Michael B