Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is a good pistol safe?

robot

I'm looking for a medium sized safe to store my pistols (2-3) and other accessories (magazines, sights, lights) safely and one that's not too small that it can be carried away. What do you recommend? I don't have long guns and don't plan to for a while.

thanks in advance!

What are you looking for, exactly? Are you looking for something just for pistols, or something you can use for other valuables, too? What kind of budget are you working with?

The advice to go bigger than you need at this moment is spot on. You'll be surprised how quickly you can fill it. 250 Glock pistols, for instance, takes up a LOT of space in a safe, even a six and a half foot tall, four foot wide monster. :D *

To get the most utility out of it, whatever you choose should be fire resistant, and placement of that safe should be somewhere that it won't be in the middle of the house if there's a fire. If you have a safe in the middle of the second level of the house, it's gonna end up on the ground in the middle of the house with the burning material piled on top of it. Fire resistance isn't going to save it when that happens.

A friend of mine put his in the garage, bolted to the concrete, with a concrete...curb, I guess...around the base so that getting at the bolts from the outside would require a jackhammer. If they have a jackhammer, having the hinges on the inside will take them longer to get past.

If you're looking for something simply to secure a few pistols from unwanted handling, take a look at the Gun Vault line. There are several mounting options which make hiding it easier, too.

*my employer's parent company supplies security contractors, and owns a pile of Glocks for those operations. The safe they're in is a beast.

There's a video on You Tube that shows two guys prying open a 500-600 dollar safe in under 2 minutes! To open a safe that have just a 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch front door plate you simply through it over on it's back and use a crowbar and pry bar to open it up, so simple. The best safe will have a one inch or more front door plate so that a crowbar can't pry it open far enough to get a prybar in behind it. Another thing that's important is bolting it down to the floor. If it's bolted securly to the floor it makes it much harder to get into even if the door plate is 1/4 or 3/8 inch. You're not bolting it down to keep it from being taken, you're bolting it down to keep it from being knocked over. One more thing, it's also best to mount the safe in a small room where there is less room for a thief to work on it.

Go bigger then you need. Trust me. I have a Cannon, which I like.

Excellent advice, I have a 23 gun Liberty and should have bought a larger one!!

Bigger is definitely better when it come to safes. I like mine alot.........

SafeDoor.jpg

Pay no attention to the reflection of the fat man on the door!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by latewatch

Bigger is definitely better when it come to safes. I like mine alot.........

SafeDoor.jpg

Pay no attention to the reflection of the fat man on the door!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps the door is slightly convexed. ;)

thanks for the suggestion guys. I don't intend to purchase many pistols in the next few years. i'll budget to purchase a bigger safe 2-3 years from now when I increase my collection of guns.

Edited by robot

Buy the best safe you can afford right now. The heavier, the more locking bolts on the door, the better. The electronic locks are not necessary for most people & just add $$$ to the cost. Bolt it down if you can. Weigh it down with lots of ammo or lead if you can't bolt it down to add to the weight so they can't grab it & run.

BUT get a safe, any kind, something to slow down some punk kid from stealing your guns easily. The last thing you want is a gun that you filled out papers for getting used in a robbery or murder. You can never completely stop the possibility of someone stealing your guns but slowing them down will often be enough deterrance. Better to have a so-so safe than try to hide your guns somewhere in your house. Crooks all know the best hiding places.

I commend you for wanting to buy a safe. That is a very responsible move. I wish every gun owner would have to buy some type of deterrent(safe) before they were allowed to buy a gun.

MLM

Buy the best safe you can afford right now. The heavier, the more locking bolts on the door, the better. The electronic locks are not necessary for most people & just add $$$ to the cost. Bolt it down if you can. Weigh it down with lots of ammo or lead if you can't bolt it down to add to the weight so they can't grab it & run.

BUT get a safe, any kind, something to slow down some punk kid from stealing your guns easily. The last thing you want is a gun that you filled out papers for getting used in a robbery or murder. You can never completely stop the possibility of someone stealing your guns but slowing them down will often be enough deterrance. Better to have a so-so safe than try to hide your guns somewhere in your house. Crooks all know the best hiding places.

I commend you for wanting to buy a safe. That is a very responsible move. I wish every gun owner would have to buy some type of deterrent(safe) before they were allowed to buy a gun.

MLM

I couldn't afford a mondo safe, nor could I have put it in my apartment.

I currently have a cheap firesafe made by Sentry. I bought the heaviest one they had. I know sentry is a lower end safe, but after hauling that thing up all those flights of stairs to my 5th floor apartment (there's no elevator) If they have the desire to take my stuff THAT bad, there was nothing I could do to stop them.

PS. I plan on lag-bolting it to the floor soon.

I have not looked at safes in a while but I am partial to Liberty Safes. Eleven years ago, I had a home that was broken into...they beat the crap out of the safe...think it had a 3/8 steel door. Anyway they did not get in (locksmith had to open it)...and Liberty Really Treated Me Right for a new top of the line safe....my insurance was great too...USAA. I would look at their current line and pick the one that would fit your needs. Oh, and make sure you have a monitored alarm for your house.

+1 to everyone that said go bigger! I am on my second one and am in need of even a bigger one!

So think of it like this. Get the best one you can afford. Depending on the types of pistols you have would you feel better leaving the house with a $500.00 safe or a $1500.00 one. But money is not everything when it comes to safe but in general as with most things you get what you pay for. For me I just want to delay them long enough for the alarm system to dispatch the police. To me one of the most important things is fire rating.

Hey Robot,

In your price range, and for your needs, I would suggest taking a look at the AmSec CSC series would fit your needs and budget perfectly. I have multiple safes, one for my long guns and short guns. The key to a secure safe is location, bolting it down to concrete and being very private about your safe and it's location. I don't show anyone my safe, and noone but my wife knows where it is in the house. And yes, get it bolted down.

Mine are not easy to get to, but they are very secure. I have no need to get "quick access" to my safe, unless I am sleeping or showering I have a gun on me at all times.

Here's the amsec...

http://citywidesecurity.stores.yahoo.net/amcsccomsecs.html

• 2 weeks later...

Robot,

I actually have 2 safes-1 bed side safe for my defense pistol and a full size Fort Knox. I bought the Fort Knox because my brother's house in San Antonio burnt down just prior to purchasing a safe. They had the highest fire rating at the time (1998). I have a bed side safe that is disguised as an alarm clock. It works too. Keeps the kids away from it. I figure that I have time to get it once because by the time any intruder got by our German Shepard or Pointer, and then got upstairs... they won't be happy with me :-).

Jason

• 1 month later...

One other option for anyone looking for a safe is to find a used commercial safe and make your own interior. Look for something TL15 or TL30 rated. "Gun" safes, even something like the Ft. Knox, can't even come close to the protection the commercial safes offer. And typically, the commercial safes are a fraction of the price of a "gun" safe. Craigslist and ebag are good places to watch for the commercial safes.

• 1 year later...

Ofcoarse owning a large gun safe is a nessesity if your going to take full advantage of your 2nd Ammendment rights! But also you should consider quick accessability to your weapons when considering home defense. And protecting your weapons from theft. I work in the home security field- 22 years now, and have seen 1st hand accounts of home attacks, (burglaries), and home invasions. I've seen very large gun safes ripped out of closets and rolled out of the houses. (It's amazing how many people don't bolt down their safes!) I've seen safes placed right out in the open for all to see. It's like they are asking to be robbed. If your home will allow for it-I highly recommend not placing your somewhere completely hidden- not just in a closet in the spare bedroom. If you have a nice expensive collection especially. Go the extra mile to create a hidden space that can be secure and camoflauged. Also consider a screaming alarm system! Not giving the thieves the time they need to force entry into your safe (or completely remove it) is critical. A low end alarm can cost s low as $400-500 installed. (a very cheap insurance policy to protect thousands and thousands of dollars in weapons!)

I framed out 3 feet my closet to create a hidden space. Installed a full length framed dressing mirror that is actually a locked hidden doors that opens up to my gun safe. The door is keep tightly locked by a 2400 lb. electro magnetic lock released by a hidden button. Ofcoarse the house is protected with a very effective security alarm system. This safe closet wasn't that difficult to build myself, probably cost $2-250 in material plus all my labor.

I also have an electronic handgun safe by my nightstand. The kind with a recessed hand print on top and code keys on the finger tips. This provides quick access to my 45 if something goes bump-in-the-night, but keeps the kiddies safe from their curiosity (very important!). I can imagine trying to work my safe dial quickly, in the middle of the night, trying to access my home defense gun! I've been very happy with this extra effort in gun storage.

I also have ordered the ShotLock Shotgun Vault. This allows you to mount your shotgun securely locked on a wall, holding it vertically. It has a quick press button code system that releases the "vault door" to allow access to the gun. I've heard horifying stories of home invasions, and how little time one has to react. I will have it soon and will report back to let you know how it has worked out! Be safe!