Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropped Gun

Sarge

Let me try this again since the power just went out for a second and rebooted everything. :angry2:

A shooter dropped a loaded gun. The muzzle was pointing up range at his feet. The RO made everbody move out of the bay area before he would touch it. I know some will think it was the right thing to do but was it necessary? Had I been RO'ing I personally would have just been as safe as possible and picked it up and got it pointing downrange in one smooth/swift movement.

Thoughts?

Just in case anyone is curious. Yes the RO did pick it up and clear it(eventually). And yes the shooter was DQ'd.

I'm with Bobby and the RO. If the gun goes off the bullet will likely strike the gravel covered gound at a shallow angle. From there it could ricochet anywhere. Even if the Peanut Gallery is moved to the sides someone could potentially have been struck. How much time was lost by moving everyone out of the bay? It couldn't have been very much.

Edited by XD Niner

I agree with "clear 'em all out". That's what I learned in RO school. I don't think you can take too many precautions in this situation.

I don't want any chance of an AD when I'm handling that gun but if there were, I want all out of the way.

It makes no sense not to. There is no rush to pick up a loaded gun, if it didn't go off from impact, it will likely not go off with it laying untouched. Clear people 180 from the muzzle. Thumb on the hammer if there is an external hammer is an excellent idea.

Yep!!, I saw it too. I will always lean toward the side of safe and secure. Rule #1 Nobody leaves bleeding.

Open blasters have a tendence to have sears that you could cut yourself on. It is very possible that, after the bounce, the only thing that was holding that hammer back was the safety.

If the muzzle's pointing at a berm -- clear everyone from in front of the gun, then carefully pick it up, paying attention to muzzle direction....

If the muzzle's not pointing at a berm, clear the pit, and post people to keep other match participants/visitors from waking through the cleared area.....

You said it was pointing up range but not whether the safety was visiable or not, clearing the bay is a good idea but what about what was behind the bay. There are so many conditions involved that blanket statements just don't work. The thumb or a finger between the hammer & slide is the safest method to use rotating the gun down range before trying to pick it up. Once the gun is pointing down range then actions can be taken to clear it, again conditions prohibit blanket statements.

If you put a the thumb or a finger between the hammer & slide then a rock in the trigger guard still won't do anything. I've been teaching people how to decock a single action gun fror a few years and none of my students have screwed up YET.

It makes no sense not to. There is no rush to pick up a loaded gun, if it didn't go off from impact, it will likely not go off with it laying untouched. Clear people 180 from the muzzle. Thumb on the hammer if there is an external hammer is an excellent idea.

I agree,.... One of the things I have noticed around here (Minnesota) is sort of a more relaxed version of shooting. We say safety is our primary attribute however, it seems that "we" Minnesotans have lost a bit of that.

I just want to remind people that we are playing with guns, you know those things that fill up city hospitals on the weekend and make personal injury attorneys drool...............

ANY opportunity to be extra safe should always be taken.

If the muzzle's pointing at a berm -- clear everyone from in front of the gun, then carefully pick it up, paying attention to muzzle direction....

If the muzzle's not pointing at a berm, clear the pit, and post people to keep other match participants/visitors from waking through the cleared area.....

Saved me typing.... :cheers:

How about this senario; Shooter drops gun, RO retrieves gun and procedes to drop it again. Double DQ?

You would think so huh? Good question.

No I don't think so.

"a competitor" . If RO is shooting he is not a competitor at that time of ROing.

PS always clear people downrange of a loaded gun.

Its safe and I have a personal credo. You point a loaded gun at me, I get to do the same to you. :surprise:

How about this senario; Shooter drops gun, RO retrieves gun and procedes to drop it again. Double DQ?

No I don't think so.

"a competitor" . If RO is shooting he is not a competitor at that time of ROing.

Its safe and I have a personal credo. You point a loaded gun at me, I get to do the same to you. :surprise:

So, Is that to say the RO gets a free pass on gun handling?

No I don't think so.

So, Is that to say the RO gets a free pass on gun handling?

As an aside, any speculation as to what drove the idea that once a firearm is dropped, a second individual must become the responsible party in the retrieval process?