Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much would you pay to NOT have to reset targets at a 3 gun

I don't know, taping and resetting is part of the whole thing. It's part of the culture of shooting. IF someone was to do it for me I would still want to walk the field so to speak to see where I have to go and what I have to do. Taping isn't just about resetting the stage, it's also to understand it and solidify your plan. It would be an interesting expriement to see how one would do and feel about it if someone else did all the work. Out of fairness to that person, they would need to be compensated well.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the years (No all) that I go to the Ironman I come home BEAT!!! If someone taped and set the steel on the targets it would be a WAY easier match. You would have to rename the match. "1/2 Ironman", "Easy Ironman" or the "Shoot n' Sleep Ironman" :)

Really, what is $30 bucks in a match like the Ironman. I shoot more than that in ammo on one stage. 30 buck is like 3% of the overall cost of going to the match and yes, it would be great to not have to tape and set. For every shooter that shoots in front of you you could just follow the people/kids who set the stage and work a shooting plan in you head.

I'm in.

Scott

Trav, I didn't see an option for $0, so I didn't vote!

Helping out is part of just paying my dues. I'm against becoming a pampered shooter and having hired "boys" to do my work for me. Sure, having some help is fine, and I certainly don't want to do all the work myself (I just turned 60!), but helping tape and reset is just part of the deal. It helps the sqaud to work together and rely on each other (squad bonding?). It also helps you figure out who you can count on, and who you can't.

Just my $0.02!

Trav, I didn't see an option for $0, so I didn't vote!

Helping out is part of just paying my dues. I'm against becoming a pampered shooter and having hired "boys" to do my work for me. Sure, having some help is fine, and I certainly don't want to do all the work myself (I just turned 60!), but helping tape and reset is just part of the deal. It helps the sqaud to work together and rely on each other (squad bonding?). It also helps you figure out who you can count on, and who you can't.

Just my $0.02!

Thanks for the feedback. These are great thoughts. Getting the squad working together is a good thing, but I don't think I want to know who I CAN'T count on. <_< Sort of like hiring your friends..I'd rather stay friends with them than have to fire them because he was a slug. In this situation, if I had a chance to just hang out with someone instead of finding out they didn't help much, I'd much rather do that. ;)

Adios,

TG

Easily more than $30.

If you put it in perspective, here's the rundown.

Match Fees $150-250

Gas/Travel $100-200 (if you have travel companions)

Hotel $150-250

Food $150-200

Ammo $100-150

add in time off work etc and $30-$40 gets pretty attractive to make a day of shooting more like a round of golf......Ahhh a gentlemans match :D

Edited by smokshwn

I like the idea. (but, I think you can have some fun teasing about the Name...) :D :D :D

GeritolMan

RustyMan

ScrapIronMan

GrayBeardShooter'sWalk

SuperSizeIt

ExtraMayoMatch

Shoot...Nap...Shoot...Nap...Shoot...Nap...

SundayStroll

WUSSMAN! :roflol:

Nothing is for sure yet, but Bob N. and I are working on a plan to make it so no one has to set steel or tape targets at the Ironman in 2010. How much extra of a match fee would you pay for this little luxury? We are going to have to hire help so I'm just trying to get a feel for how much we could pay them.

As near as I could tell, we would have just about everything taken care of so all you would have to do is....well....shoot!! Let me know what you think.

Adios,

TG

ETA: I'm not smart enough to get the poll to work, but here are the choices I was going to give:

Less than $5

Between $5 and $10

Between $10 and $20

More than $20

Travis: I don't think this is a good idea. First, it is "Ironman" ....as a super senior I have absolutely no sympathy for "III'mm tooo tiiired". (shouldn't we serve some cheese with that whine?). Resetting the stage is part of the sport. Secondly, my experiences in the few matches I've attended with "help" from local youth groups tells me that they also get tired. Worse , they get bored, don't do all of what's required, and sometimes get close to safety violations.

Lookin' forward to 2010, regardless of how this vote goes.

Regards, Rod M.

Nothing is for sure yet, but Bob N. and I are working on a plan to make it so no one has to set steel or tape targets at the Ironman in 2010. How much extra of a match fee would you pay for this little luxury? We are going to have to hire help so I'm just trying to get a feel for how much we could pay them.

As near as I could tell, we would have just about everything taken care of so all you would have to do is....well....shoot!! Let me know what you think.

Adios,

TG

ETA: I'm not smart enough to get the poll to work, but here are the choices I was going to give:

Less than $5

Between $5 and $10

Between $10 and $20

More than $20

Travis: I don't think this is a good idea. First, it is "Ironman" ....as a super senior I have absolutely no sympathy for "III'mm tooo tiiired". (shouldn't we serve some cheese with that whine?). Resetting the stage is part of the sport. Secondly, my experiences in the few matches I've attended with "help" from local youth groups tells me that they also get tired. Worse , they get bored, don't do all of what's required, and sometimes get close to safety violations.

Regards, Rod M.

What is it with all you tough old birds that won't let us kids just sit on our a$$'s and enjoy a little shooting?!?! You and Jobob are killin' me!! :goof: All kidding aside, thanks for your thoughts. We'll see what happens.

Adios,

TG

First off, I have no experience with three gun or Iron Man, But I have shot a lot of longrange rifle.

NRA matches require you to work the pit's, That is you fire then go down and pull and score targets for the next relay.

When I shot in canada, they had a youth group pulling and scoring. Made for a very enjoyable day.

The kids were very good and were very grateful for the chance to make some cash.

The youth group recieved a set allocation for thier service.

At the end of the day all the shooters passsed the hat and the total was split up as a tip for all the kids. I think that kept them motivated and focused.

Yea , I know you call it the "Iron Man" but heres how I saw it.

After driving ten hours the night before to get there, getting to the range and being there all day for two days and facing the drive home it was well worth the money.

FWIW

Mildot

Easily more than $30.

If you put it in perspective, here's the rundown.

Match Fees $150-250

Gas/Travel $100-200 (if you have travel companions)

You must be local... for $200 in travel... it isn't quite that cheap from the East coast. :ph34r:

3 guys at $200 per gives us about 2700+ miles in gas for the Suburban :D

Edited by smokshwn

Adios,

TG

Less than $5

Between $5 and $10

Between $10 and $20

More than $20

Regards, Rod M.

What is it with all you tough old birds that won't let us kids just sit on our a$$'s and enjoy a little shooting?!?! You and Jobob are killin' me!! :goof: All kidding aside, thanks for your thoughts. We'll see what happens.

Adios,

TG

Respect your elders! :cheers:

Adios,

TG

Less than $5

Between $5 and $10

Between $10 and $20

More than $20

Regards, Rod M.

Adios,

TG

Respect your elders! :cheers:

:bow:

Adios,

TG

I don't mind the taping and setting steel its the walking down to the end of the long bays on the golf cart, carry the dummy, and sub gun stages or going up the hill on stage 11 ten times.

Now if there was a quad on each stage, like stage 1, it might actually be fun! Call me crazy but I like setting the star on stage 1, we don't have a quad at home.

While I don’t mind helping, in all honesty, I wouldn’t mind having someone doing it for me either. I just turned 40 and all those years of BMXing are catching up to my knees.

I've never shot this match but I've heard a lot about it and it sounds like there is a lot of setup and you are proposing an interesting solution. Instead of deciding how much I’d be willing to pay, I became curious and wanted to see how much it would cost.

Let's say the match is two and a half days or 22 hours of work and you'll need 2 helpers per stage and there are 11 stages (22 helpers). That is a total of 484 hours. If you pay them $8 per hour, you'll need $3,872. Their lunch should also be included so that’s another $8 per person per day for 3 days or $528. The grand total is $4,400. If you have 150 competitors, they'll need to pitch in $29.33 each. If the match fee is around $240, that is a 13% increase to be lazy or rested when you shoot - depends how you look at it. If you need 3 helpers per stage, it goes up to $44.

Only having 2 helpers per stage is asking a lot of those 2 and reset time will be slower compared to a squad doing it.

While I don’t mind helping, in all honesty, I wouldn’t mind having someone doing it for me either. I just turned 40 and all those years of BMXing are catching up to my knees.

I've never shot this match but I've heard a lot about it and it sounds like there is a lot of setup and you are proposing an interesting solution. Instead of deciding how much I’d be willing to pay, I became curious and wanted to see how much it would cost.

Let's say the match is two and a half days or 22 hours of work and you'll need 2 helpers per stage and there are 11 stages (22 helpers). That is a total of 484 hours. If you pay them $8 per hour, you'll need $3,872. Their lunch should also be included so that’s another $8 per person per day for 3 days or $528. The grand total is $4,400. If you have 150 competitors, they'll need to pitch in $29.33 each. If the match fee is around $240, that is a 13% increase to be lazy or rested when you shoot - depends how you look at it. If you need 3 helpers per stage, it goes up to $44.

Only having 2 helpers per stage is asking a lot of those 2 and reset time will be slower compared to a squad doing it.

You're right! You haven't shot Ironman. 3 - 5 helpers per stage would be more accurate. :rolleyes:

I'd kick in 30 to be lazy. I'd much rather focus on my shooting than drag ass down (and it's a big ass) to set steel and tape. The biggest benefit to me would be not getting pissed about others on the squad not helping. When you see that one guy who has been loading mags for the last three shooters, or 30 minutes in Ironman time, it just annoys me more than it really should. I've never been one to sit out on work at a match (although I probably will be at Nationals this year), but this still sounds like a good idea if you can pull it off. And for the ones who don't want to kick in for the setters, how about you don't make them pay but they have to help set on all the stages. You could even have a late fee for the folks who realize by the second day that paying would have been a good idea. Say $30.00 for the folks who kick in on Day 1 and $40 by day 2.

I'll keep the money.........It doesn't bother me to re-set. I would get bored not doing anything waiting for my turn. Plus, if your down on the list aways, there's lots of opportunity to plan your run going down range many times........................!!!!!

Besides....It'll make me more thirsty at the end of the day... :cheers::cheers::cheers: for more of these..!!!