Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much would you pay to NOT have to reset targets at a 3 gun

Nothing is for sure yet, but Bob N. and I are working on a plan to make it so no one has to set steel or tape targets at the Ironman in 2010. How much extra of a match fee would you pay for this little luxury? We are going to have to hire help so I'm just trying to get a feel for how much we could pay them.

As near as I could tell, we would have just about everything taken care of so all you would have to do is....well....shoot!! Let me know what you think.

Adios,

TG

ETA: I'm not smart enough to get the poll to work, but here are the choices I was going to give:

Less than $5

Between $5 and $10

Between $10 and $20

More than $20

Edited by tgibson

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not shot your match so it might be hard to tell how much work it is to re-set.

But let’s say it was the local Boy Scout council that got a donation? 5 to 10 Scouts per stage.

That might help people want to pay more for shooting the match.

I know I usually work the local matches that I shoot, so going to a match, as I did the RM3G a few weeks ago, was great. To just paste and set steel.

But to just shoot and hang out, that is worth some amount of money.

Squads 10 to 12 shooters say$2-$5 per shooter per stage? Just putting a $$$ out there.

Jim M ammo

Thats a cool idea but like every other hand out, we want the service but dont dare increase our taxes !! :roflol:

Seriously, the match fees are all so high already but I guess $40-50 more ??

$40 or $50 would be great, but I was thinking more along the lines of $10 or $15. We are also doing some things next year to cut down on our costs, and we hope to actully reduce the cost of the match for 2010. We'll see what happens with this, but we are going to try and drop the match fee by $25...again...we'll see.

Adios,

TG

Merlin.. for a normal 3 Gun match.. I'd agree, it's no big deal.. for Ironman. when you're on the stage for 3-4+ minutes, and each stage is all 3 guns (minimum) + almost always shot and slugs and maybe buckshot, etc.. it takes a long time to get ready, and there's a lot of targets to reset. You're pretty tired form just the rest by the end of the day..

Merlin.. for a normal 3 Gun match.. I'd agree, it's no big deal.. for Ironman. when you're on the stage for 3-4+ minutes, and each stage is all 3 guns (minimum) + almost always shot and slugs and maybe buckshot, etc.. it takes a long time to get ready, and there's a lot of targets to reset. You're pretty tired form just the rest by the end of the day..

IRON MAN.

but I do see your point... ;)

travis-yer talkin' me into coming next year. so, how much more if the hired help loads mags?

This is a per stage price and is directly proportionate to how many rifle, and pistol rounds are required on each stage.

Shotgun magazines are slightly less than rifle and pistol mags, but not nearly as cheap as shotgun speed tubes.

We will have LULA loaders for rent at registration for $2/day with a $30 deposit which will be refunded after the last stage

Sound like a lawyer don't I? :roflol:

I'd be willing to bet you could pay one of the resetters a modest fee to do it on each stage though....heck...maybe I'll follow you around!!

Adios,

TG

I shot my first Ironman this year, and to tell the truth I thought setting steel and pasting targets helped understand the stage when it was my time to shoot. Now that I have done the match once and have a better feel for it I would pay $20 to not have to set steel, paste targets. 2010 will be a lot of fun and I'm planning on being there..... When can I send in my registration and match fee??? :D :D :D

I shot my first Ironman this year, and to tell the truth I thought setting steel and pasting targets helped understand the stage when it was my time to shoot. Now that I have done the match once and have a better feel for it I would pay $20 to not have to set steel, paste targets. 2010 will be a lot of fun and I'm planning on being there..... When can I send in my registration and match fee??? :D:D:D

Not only am I NOT thinking about 2010, I'm still trying to FORGET 2009!!! :wacko:

Adios,

TG

Thats a cool idea but like every other hand out, we want the service but dont dare increase our taxes !! :roflol:

Seriously, the match fees are all so high already but I guess $40-50 more ??

$40 or $50 would be great, but I was thinking more along the lines of $10 or $15. We are also doing some things next year to cut down on our costs, and we hope to actully reduce the cost of the match for 2010. We'll see what happens with this, but we are going to try and drop the match fee by $25...again...we'll see.

Adios,

TG

$10-20 more per match fee ?? Whats there to ask ?? :unsure: I mean with what we spend on a match anyway, what

a bargain !!

I wonder how offended people would be if I brought someone with me to do all of the above. I could just sit there or walk around the stage a couple times while the resets were going on. I wouldn't have to worry about loading mags or preloading my shotgun. I could bring a big beach umbrella and a lounger. Tiger Woods can bring a caddy to golf tournements so why shouldn't we?

I wonder how offended people would be if I brought someone with me to do all of the above. I could just sit there or walk around the stage a couple times while the resets were going on. I wouldn't have to worry about loading mags or preloading my shotgun. I could bring a big beach umbrella and a lounger. Tiger Woods can bring a caddy to golf tournements so why shouldn't we?

In the Philippines you can get a "caddy" and they reset, load your mags and even pick up your brass.

Edited by Aristotle

As long as your fair share of the work is getting done, I don't care if you do it with mind telepathy!! :surprise:

Adios,

TG

travis-yer talkin' me into coming next year. so, how much more if the hired help loads mags?

I am sure there are plenty of competitors who would be happy to load your mags for you. :devil: Its not their fault if one or two get in the mags backwards! :ph34r:

$10-20 for the match seems pretty cheap in the overall scheme of things.

Randy

In the past the San Angelo club ran a benifit match for the Boys Ranch. The kids from the ranch worked the match, taped, reset and picked up brass. I dont know how the money was split between the club and the ranch but it was a fun deal. Just sit and watch til you shot, then sit again. We always tipped the kids a few bucks per stage. Money for the club, money for the ranch and some pocket money for the kids. Winners all round. Big match, road trip, got to be worth another 20 bucks or so, maybe more.---------------Larry

I like the angle L.W. and others are taking to benefit locals; Blue Ridge 4 H youths had tip jars...I didn't hear how they fared. I gladly left sixty and couple of mags. Only basis points of total outlay- travel, practice, missed work, etc. Moyock N.C. brass hounding alone nets the Boy Scouts many thousands annually. While I'm burning bandwidth, I'll mention how hard fellow shooters laughed when I asked if anyone ever "employed" a 2nd to load, tote, inspire. Fencers had seconds hand them foils. I was finishing up twenty years of polo where we all marveled that someone would hot-walk (cool down), wash, and change headstalls-bridle-chestplates-martingales and saddles on six horses---including four (24) sweaty, muddy leg wraps and 6 braided tails (muddier still) SIX times during a 4-6 hour match, three times a week in all weather conditions from time change to time change (April to November) waitforit...for ten bucks. Of course they usually got to ride on off days...and Full Moon nights-in different countries. Beer and Maté flowed as needed. Oh, a couple of yearly kick *ss black tie and blue jeans parties helped too. Shooting events simply need long cookouts attended by dedicated designated drivers. Never mind, I'll switch to Limited and hump my own targets. A single dose of Trooper goes a long way to get one up and pasting...along with a greater appreciation for LEO/veterans.

$20 seems reasonable. It could allow for more 'blind' stages which are always fun :)

What type of speed bump to the positive or negative would we be looking at?

If the folks who will be doing this will be slower than the shooters... that isn't going to help any. :P

Using the BRM3G as an example, some stages were great with help. (the teenager at the tunnel stage with the shotgun deserves mega props..)

While other stages (with the 50 cal) "left yesterday and we haven't seen 'em since.."

* Note.. not a complaint.. just an observation *

As a shooter I don't want to pay the $20 and then have to end up taping / setting up steel because the help left.

And, if help is going to leave, they are going to leave on the longer, more complicated, more demanding stages. Which means that the shooters would have to do it.

I think it sets an unfair expectation.

As an RO, I don't want to have to tell 12 bone weary, drag-ass tired, shooters (on the last stage of the day..) that they now have to do A-Z to finish the stage.. and oh yeah, you have to tape as well.

I guess I am saying it has to be all or nothing for that stage. Either there is help or there isn't.

Having that option for more of the blind stages.. that would be cool, and fair to the other shooters / RO staff.

I would throw an extra $10.. or pay with ammo donations.. as long as it wasn't buckshot.. I can't seem to keep enough of that on hand for that match. :roflol:

Edited by maineshootah

$20 seems reasonable. It could allow for more 'blind' stages which are always fun :)

What type of speed bump to the positive or negative would we be looking at?

If the folks who will be doing this will be slower than the shooters... that isn't going to help any. :P

Using the BRM3G as an example, some stages were great with help. (the teenager at the tunnel stage with the shotgun deserves mega props..)

While other stages (with the 50 cal) "left yesterday and we haven't seen 'em since.."

* Note.. not a complaint.. just an observation *

As a shooter I don't want to pay the $20 and then have to end up taping / setting up steel because the help left.

And, if help is going to leave, they are going to leave on the longer, more complicated, more demanding stages. Which means that the shooters would have to do it.

I think it sets an unfair expectation.

As an RO, I don't want to have to tell 12 bone weary, drag-ass tired, shooters (on the last stage of the day..) that they now have to do A-Z to finish the stage.. and oh yeah, you have to tape as well.

I guess I am saying it has to be all or nothing for that stage. Either there is help or there isn't.

Having that option for more of the blind stages.. that would be cool, and fair to the other shooters / RO staff.

I would throw an extra $10.. or pay with ammo donations.. as long as it wasn't buckshot.. I can't seem to keep enough of that on hand for that match. :roflol:

Excellent observatios!! :cheers: Thanks for the insight J!!!

These were the same exact thoughts running through my mind when we first started thinking about this. My dad had a saying when I was growing up. "One boy can usually do a mans job. Two boys can't even do half a boys job." What I got out of this is when one kid is working by himself he'll do a great job. When there are more than one, they get to goofing off and not only do things not get done, they get worse.

I think if they had a good understanding of what needed to be done, the right group of kids (both age and maturity level) would do just fine with three or four kids per stage. I have some irons in the fire right now working towards this end. I'll let you know how things progress.

Adios,

TG