Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Research Adjustable Rear Sight...

Seth

Virgil put a product out that was heavily tested. I know. I broke LOTS of them. The problems he has encountered have been issues of vendors not holding tolerance and parts not being perfect. Understand that Virgil don't tolerate that, which is why he's pulled the part and isn't selling more of them.

Blasting the man ain't right though. He's an innovator and one of the best gunsmiths on the planet. While others are fussing with tuned mags and long loads, the guns he's built for me run 100% out of ugliest mags with a shortest factory ammo money can buy. He's honest, reliable and a joy to deal with. I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars... I'm no fanboy. If the results weren't there, I'd have never gone back for another pistol.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Virgil put a product out that was heavily tested. I know. I broke LOTS of them. The problems he has encountered have been issues of vendors not holding tolerance and parts not being perfect. Understand that Virgil don't tolerate that, which is why he's pulled the part and isn't selling more of them.

Blasting the man ain't right though. He's an innovator and one of the best gunsmiths on the planet. While others are fussing with tuned mags and long loads, the guns he's built for me run 100% out of ugliest mags with a shortest factory ammo money can buy. He's honest, reliable and a joy to deal with. I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars... I'm no fanboy. If the results weren't there, I'd have never gone back for another pistol.

i hope you don't think am blasting him, my point was that no matter how much you test a product, there will always be problems that cannot be foreseen by the manufactured until they release the product to the world...

just like you said, to many factors..

we all jumped on this sight really quickly, because it has lots of promise.. am sure the product will mature just like we expect it to and become a standard in the near future..

i think the problems that we have seen with this sight a natural part of the manufacturing process of new products specially when it comes to products that are attempting to break new ground..

I am looking forward to the gen 2, and can't wait to get my hands one one..

cheers,

Los.

• 3 weeks later...

My K-1 died last year after about 1000 rounds, See my posts nos. 163 and 175 in this thread. They fixed it and I've put a few thousand more rounds downrange with the sight. Tonight cleaning the gun I noticed that it has once again died. Same problem, elevation screw head broke off. Reading this thread it seems Tripp is not currently selling them and is redesigning the unit. I will call tomorrow to see what to do. Disappointing. May have to order a new sight from Les Baer as I put the original sight on another 1911 build.

That right there is the issue. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

That right there is the issue. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

Trace,

You ain't kidding. I've had a lot of conversations with him and Aaron about it and in the end, it makes more sense for them to acquire the machnes capable of holding those micro tolerances than put up with vendors that either can't deliver or don't.

Called Virgil today. The man offered me 1. a refund, 2. a loaner King Bo-Mar style sight.

He also told me that the new sights are still months out so I could make an informed decision.

You cannot ask for better customer service.

I am taking the loaner and I will wait.

When the new ones are ready I will get one and order a SECOND one for my backup gun. Why? Because I like the man!

Yup...

I've had one on backorder for a year - I won't be cancelling mine if they release the Gen2.

I have 2. The one on my 5" hasn't been used much, but the one on the 6" gun has about 20k rounds through it since it arrived on that gun in September of 2010. I zero'd it then and haven't touched it since.

• 2 months later...

Any word about the sights?

I've heard nothing. I had mine repaired twice and am currently using it on my LB. I am hoping for the Gen. II to come out so I can put one on my Springfield/Remington backup gun.

• 1 month later...

Mine was going strong but The elevation is now real loose and the blade moves up and down and wiggles. I'll call Monday and see what's up. I bought a complete pistol with the sight installed from another gunsmith. Think that'll matter? What's the next best thing until these are resolved, SV rear?

• 2 months later...

Virgil repaired my sight at no cost to me and it's been going another 2K rounds without issues. Hopefully it'll stay that way. They asked me to send a list of the matches I was shooting (even locals) and got it back to me beofre the next one (about 5 days).

Edited by CDPMatt

• 4 months later...

I asked them about my sight since it mas been back once and broken a second time. They told me to call and speak with Virgil about getting it fixed again. I haven't called yet since I really have no confidence in the part anymore. I think it will just end up in a drawer.