Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Research Adjustable Rear Sight...

Seth

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just called and ordered one, the nice lady on the phone (Shari Tripp, maybe?) said they had been waiting on a part for a long time but that they were catching up and my order ought to ship in about 10 days. I don't exactly need it soon, but since other people had mentioned waiting I thought I'd throw that out there.

Arrived today. A bit more than 10 days but still fine by me, I'm patient. Had it cut to .140", FWIW.

Edit: Welp, didn't even have it in my hands for 5 minutes before I broke it. Here's a tip: don't try to remove the sight blade by moving it all the way to the left. It will just pop off the screw and you will be hosed. (In fact it looks like the sight in general cannot be disassembled at all with hand tools...)

Edited by MoNsTeR

I've had mine for about 5 months now. I really love it. The only issue I had with it was on install, as you can see in the first pic, I nicked my slide. My own fault. I followed the "bigger hammer" thought process and shouldn't have.

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

bigbear,

I was hoping someone would post a sight picture. What widths are the notch and the post pictured?

Just called and ordered one, the nice lady on the phone (Shari Tripp, maybe?) said they had been waiting on a part for a long time but that they were catching up and my order ought to ship in about 10 days. I don't exactly need it soon, but since other people had mentioned waiting I thought I'd throw that out there.

Arrived today. A bit more than 10 days but still fine by me, I'm patient. Had it cut to .140", FWIW.

Edit: Welp, didn't even have it in my hands for 5 minutes before I broke it. Here's a tip: don't try to remove the sight blade by moving it all the way to the left. It will just pop off the screw and you will be hosed. (In fact it looks like the sight in general cannot be disassembled at all with hand tools...)

I called Virgil and he set me straight. The sight blade will come out after being moved all the way left, but it's under quite a bit of friction and has to be tapped out. Conversely to get it back on the screw you have to (gently!) tap it the other way while turning the screw.

• 1 month later...

K-1 started to swing back and forth on my 6" Limited today :( About 3000 rounds shot and POI is changing about 1.5-2" @25.

I need to contact Tripp asap what they say.

Hello: Is the blade moving back and forth or the whole sight? If it is the whole sight then the mounting screws have come lose as stated above. If it is just the blade give a call to Virgil and he will make it right :cheers: I need to order a couple more myself. Thanks, Eric

Blade is moving in sight frame, both up-down and lef-right. I can be stupid sometimes, but not that much I would blame the sight because screws got loose :)

As new it was rock solid, absolutely no play at all. There are not very many adjustable sights I could say the same.

Because of that + light weight + perfect notch cut dimensions I just love the Tripp sight. Hopefully they will replace it fast or I have to use my spare Dawson rear sight...

I called Virgil Tripp today, need to say he has some attitude I love :)

I told him what is happening and he then told me to send old sight in and he would send me replacement. Because I am shooting matches all the time (next on saturday, state match in 3 weeks) I asked if he could send me a new one and I would then send the old one back to him. I was giving my CC details to make him feel comfortable when he said: "This is no money thing. We will send you another one today." :surprise::bow:

I called Virgil Tripp today, need to say he has some attitude I love :)

I told him what is happening and he then told me to send old sight in and he would send me replacement. Because I am shooting matches all the time (next on saturday, state match in 3 weeks) I asked if he could send me a new one and I would then send the old one back to him. I was giving my CC details to make him feel comfortable when he said: "This is no money thing. We will send you another one today." :surprise::bow:

Awesome to hear.... I've got one of the sights in my parts box and another on the way with a Limited gun attached to it, can't wait to try it out.

Edited by CDPMatt

I've had a couple of minor issues with my Tripp sights. One of them was my fault, the other was similar to what was listed above. In both cases Virgil fixed the sights with no questions asked. That's why there are 5 of them mounted to guns in my safe.

:cheers:

Well, my K-1 sight died tonight at the range. About 1K rounds on it through my LB PMII.

Elevation screw broke. Looks like the entire top of the screw went missing. Gun suddenly

started shooting six inches high is what got me to look at the sight.

Removed the sight, put the BoMar back on and will call Tripp in the a.m.

Does anyone know if the K-1 will fit my SA Loaded Stainless Target .45 without any additional machining?

[/quot

Call Aaron at Tripp he will be able to answer that question. I would think it would be no problem but I'm not an expert. There great people with great customer service.

• 5 weeks later...

K-1 started to swing back and forth on my 6" Limited today :( About 3000 rounds shot and POI is changing about 1.5-2" @25.

Looks like im going to have to call virgil, my rear blade started moving all over the place at just under 1000rds

Looks like im going to have to call virgil, my rear blade started moving all over the place at just under 1000rds

how many shooters are having this issue?

Got my K-1 back some weeks ago. I have shot three matches with the repairs sight without any issues. Hopefully the redesign of the elevation screw has cured the problem permanently. Love the sight and Tripp was extremely good to me in getting it repaired and opening up the notch. I will buy another!