Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Shell Headache

This should probably be in the "What I Hate" Section but here goes.

My son and I shot my AR in a 3 gun match today - long story short - on the next to last target of the very last stage the rifle failed to function. Got it home this evening and found it has a broken shell stock in the chamber.

Thought to myself "Great - now I get to use the really cool broken shell extractor I bought a few years back - YIPPEE!!" Got out the broken shell extractor, even looked on the C.J. Weapons website for instructions, and followed them to a tee.

First time it didn't work so I tried it again. . . and again. . . and again. . . and again - you get the picture. Ended up breaking my charging handle by using too much force and may have damaged my buffer tube by banging the rifle butt-first onto the carpeted floor to try to disoldge the broken shell.

As it stands now, score is broken shell - one, Fullauto_Shooter - zero. The broken shell extractor is now helplessly jammed in my chamber so tightly that the bolt "loses it's grip" on the extractor tool everytime I try to remove it. So here I stand, hat in hand, rifle in pieces, asking the mighty Benoverse for any tip or suggestion to get that damn broken shell out of my rifle.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

If the shell extractor is stuck in the shell but the extractor wont pull it out, run a rod down the bore and get out the mallet.-----------Larry

Thanks for the quick reply Larry. Since I posted, I managed to remove the broken shell extractor tool from the chamber by using the rod and mallet method. But the broken shell is still lodged firmly in the chamber - to make matter worse, it looks like only the bottleneck portion of the shell (near where the bullet is seated) is still in the chamber - so there isn't a whole lot of "broken shell" to work with.

I've also tried running a couple different cleaning brushes through from the muzzle end - hoping to get enough "bite" on the broken shell to push it out - no luck.

Any other ideas??

I have had good luck pushing a 9mm or bigger bore brush through the broken part of the case from the rear (breech) area. Once you push the bristles through the front neck area they push out and grab the case and allow you to pull it out. you might try some Kroil or oil around the case as well.

Good luck,

DougC

I have had good luck pushing a 9mm or bigger bore brush through the broken part of the case from the rear (breech) area. Once you push the bristles through the front neck area they push out and grab the case and allow you to pull it out. you might try some Kroil or oil around the case as well.

Good luck,

DougC

Doug - thanks. Tried your idea with bore brushes up to .40 and it didn't work. That sucker is in there very tight. Even tried the broken shell removal tool another dozen or so times this morning and it still isn't working either. Do gunsmiths have specific tools (over and above the standard broken shell remover - which is failing me miserably) to solve this type problem??

Saw this happen at the RM3G this weekend, it was removed by dropping another loaded round into the broken case. A couple of taps on the forward assist followed by pulling on the charging handle while slamming the butt stock on the ground and out came the loaded round wearing the broken case. Sounds like yours is in there pretty good but it might be worth a shot. A dummy round would definately be the way to go if you have one.

Saw this happen at the RM3G this weekend, it was removed by dropping another loaded round into the broken case. A couple of taps on the forward assist followed by pulling on the charging handle while slamming the butt stock on the ground and out came the loaded round wearing the broken case. Sounds like yours is in there pretty good but it might be worth a shot. A dummy round would definately be the way to go if you have one.

Good suggestion - I just tried this x 5 times. On each attempt, the dummy would fully chamber but failed to "grab" the broken case when I ejected the dummy round. The fact that the dummy round fully chambers may indicate the leading edge of the broken shell has somehow worked it's way up into the barrel?? This is a bit scary since it would be possible to chamber and fire a loaded round with the broken shell still in the barrel.

ETA - the bullet on the dummy round is a bit scarred up from where it came in contact with the broken shell.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Good suggestion - I just tried this x 5 times. On each attempt, the dummy would fully chamber but failed to "grab" the broken case when I ejected the dummy round. The fact that the dummy round fully chambers may indicate the leading edge of the broken shell has somehow worked it's way up into the barrel?? This is a bit scary since it would be possible to chamber and fire a loaded round with the broken shell still in the barrel.

ETA - the bullet on the dummy round is a bit scarred up from where it came in contact with the broken shell.

Try your chamber brush from the breech to see if that will grab it.

Try your chamber brush from the breech to see if that will grab it.

Tried that too Mike, but it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Doug

The guns I have had to work on with a case stuck that bad ended up getting the barrel taken off of it to get the case out. If you have the wrench to remove the barrel, take it off and use an easy-out to grab the case and pull it out. This is usually a last resort though.

Dale

What type of case, brass or steel?

Try putting it in the freezer.

Case is brass. Good idea with the freezer, unfortunately, I don't have a freezer large enough to fit the barrel into.

Run down to the supermarket and buy a sack of ice. Pour the ice over the barrel and let it cool for a while before trying again.

ETA: I just had the same problem with a .22LR case head separation. I got it out, after leaving it for a few hours in the freezer, using a .22 phosphor-bronze bore brush inserted from the chamber end, then pulled back out (the bristles don't like to change direction, so they bite into the case). HTH

Edited by StealthyBlagga

There have been occasions where you use cerrosafe (or whatever the chamber cast material is called) and proceed as if you were making a chamber cast to try to have the cast material engage the broken casing and remove it along with the casting.

The casting material does shrink slightly, but if you plug the bore a half inch or so ahead of the broken shell piece it should flow into the area at the front of the casing and allow it to be removed.

Good luck.

Guy

hAD ONE LIKE THAT A WHILE BACK. tOOK THE BARREL OUT SO AS TO GET CLOSER TO THE PROBLEM. dROVE A SLIGHTLY OVER SIZE ALLEN WRENCH IN TO THE CASE & TWISTED & IT CAME LOOSE. Sorry, did'nt relalize the cap's were on.

If there is any section of a broken case in a chamber, I'm not understanding how there is enough room to chamber a round?

I'm thinking you need to "see" what the problem is. And not trying to be funny, but if a round chambers, what makes you think there is a problem?

If you can't readily get the barrel off, then lots of light, and maybe a small mirror, maybe a magnifier over the mirror.

good luck

Go to your local big box store and get a set of easy outs. Use the most appropriate one insert it into the case and twist out. the easy out will dig into the soft brass and twist it right out. Last resort is to ream the case out with a chamber reamer. I have never had a separated case that the easy out would not remove though. Good luck.

Might as well throw my .02 in , but I can relate as I have had this exact neck separation jam my self. Happened at Albmarel(sp), NC 3G.

Anyway , after all of the previous methods mentioned above (with the exception of reaming the chamber) here is what worked for me. After breaking an EZ out I finially used a tap big enough to thread the inside the broken neck , but small enough not to get into the chamber. Screwed the correct sized machine screw in it. Then with rod and mallet drove it out.

Hope I never see a case failure like this again :wacko:

BTW, mine was an R-P case. What case is in yours? Just curious.

A 1/4" drive 12pt socket and an extension on the EZ out might keep you from removing the barrel.

If it has been driven into the barrel beyond the chamber, a 3/16" brazing rod (brass),or a brass jag from the muzzle might push it out.

Hurley

There have been occasions where you use cerrosafe (or whatever the chamber cast material is called) and proceed as if you were making a chamber cast to try to have the cast material engage the broken casing and remove it along with the casting.

The casting material does shrink slightly, but if you plug the bore a half inch or so ahead of the broken shell piece it should flow into the area at the front of the casing and allow it to be removed.

Good luck.

Guy

I'll keep this idea in reserve in case all else fails and I can't find a gunsmith who can do the job in a timely manner; I don't have any of the cerrosafe stuff so I'd have to make another purchase. Thanks for the tip - I would have never thought of that course of action.

Doug

hAD ONE LIKE THAT A WHILE BACK. tOOK THE BARREL OUT SO AS TO GET CLOSER TO THE PROBLEM. dROVE A SLIGHTLY OVER SIZE ALLEN WRENCH IN TO THE CASE & TWISTED & IT CAME LOOSE. Sorry, did'nt relalize the cap's were on.

Thanks Benny - I'm going to visit a buddy who's got a few more AR tools than me - hoping we can get it out. If not, I might end up giving you a call.

Doug