Countdown to College Football, 2009!

Jack Suber

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised so far... :surprise:

ME TOO :surprise:

No question the Ol' Ball Coach is calling the plays today....because there is not confusion getting the plays in so far. Before today, Jr. would call the play from the press box to the QB coach, who would share with the Oline coach and then they would send in the plays. If we were lucky the players could get the play and set-up before the play clock went out and if the players weren't confused. I don't see that happening today, so I think the plays are being called on the sideline..

Well, my Gators keep winning, but it is ugly. I am now afraid that when we play a real team (read Alabama) in the SEC Championship game we are going to get owned.

Tebow as great as he is, holds the ball too long, can't seem to find open receivers downfield (if there are any), and out passing game is non-existent. A good team will stuff the run when you can't pass it.

WOW, you're, talking about Florida like everybody talks about TCU and Boise St. Surely, you're not saying that the SEC doesn't have any "real" teams. (even though only 4 out of 12 teams are above .500 in their conference). Even though the conference is 3-23 against ranked team this year (fla has one and AL has the other 2). Not that it matters because the Big ten is only 8-23 and the big 12 are only 1-11(are you kidding me, that conference has only played 11 ranked teams this year). Bottom line is there needs to be a playoff system because if you just look at the numbers, and with no playoff that’s all you can do, there is no really good conference. Remember the old saying “Numbers don’t lie but liars use numbers.” Looking at the numbers you could easily say that the winners of the Big 10 and Pac 10 had the best conference since they had the highest win% against ranked teams, therefore they had the strongest schedule and therefore they should play for the Championship. Obviously not true, but like I said you can spin the numbers however you want to make them look like you want them to look.

AP

Big 10 8-23 (.230)

Big 12 1-17 (.058)

SEC 3-23 (.130)

WAC 1-14 (.071)

Mountain West 3-18 (.167)

PAC 10 10-24 (.417)

The Gators sure produced a nail biter last night. Until that interception at the start of the fourth quarter South Carolina had all the momentum even though they trailed by 3 at the time. Too many badly missed field goals (28, 52 and 54) added greatly to my stress level. At the end of the day, however, the Old Ball Coach is exactly that and 0-4 against his former team.

The Gators sure produced a nail biter last night. Until that interception at the start of the fourth quarter South Carolina had all the momentum even though they trailed by 3 at the time. Too many badly missed field goals (28, 52 and 54) added greatly to my stress level. At the end of the day, however, the Old Ball Coach is exactly that and 0-4 against his former team.

You seem to forget the one win we had here his first year as coach....Sorry, but I have to claim that one....

WOW, you're, talking about Florida like everybody talks about TCU and Boise St. Surely, you're not saying that the SEC doesn't have any "real" teams. (even though only 4 out of 12 teams are above .500 in their conference). Even though the conference is 3-23 against ranked team this year (fla has one and AL has the other 2). Not that it matters because the Big ten is only 8-23 and the big 12 are only 1-11(are you kidding me, that conference has only played 11 ranked teams this year). Bottom line is there needs to be a playoff system because if you just look at the numbers, and with no playoff that’s all you can do, there is no really good conference. Remember the old saying “Numbers don’t lie but liars use numbers.” Looking at the numbers you could easily say that the winners of the Big 10 and Pac 10 had the best conference since they had the highest win% against ranked teams, therefore they had the strongest schedule and therefore they should play for the Championship. Obviously not true, but like I said you can spin the numbers however you want to make them look like you want them to look.

AP

Big 10 8-23 (.230)

Big 12 1-17 (.058)

SEC 3-23 (.130)

WAC 1-14 (.071)

Mountain West 3-18 (.167)

PAC 10 10-24 (.417)

Ranked teams can be #25. The SEC has the #1 and #2 or #3 depending on the week and Alabama's ranking. Sorry, those two teams are whooping up on the rest, hence a lot of loses. LOOK at your own numbers!!!

You can have a a bunch of ranked teams, mediocre ranked teams like Ohio State, Obviously now USC fits in that category, let's not forget a 2 loss Oregon. Yes, they make YOUR percentages look better, but those teams don't get into the BCS game!

I am a Gator, but I have NO illusions that they DO NOT look like the #1 team in the country. I see Texas and Alabama as the top two teams. The SEC is still great, but the Gators and Tide are just punishing the rest. As for Tenn., they are getting what they deserve for their coach, LAME Kitten.

Go Ole Miss!!!!!!

Thank you Sir.

Your Rebels really took it to my Vols this weekend. I wasn't surprised Ol Miss won but I was surprised by just how much. That was a good old fashioned butt whoopin and they made the Vols pick their own switch.

Edited by jasmap

Well, my Gators keep winning, but it is ugly. I am now afraid that when we play a real team (read Alabama) in the SEC Championship game we are going to get owned.

Tebow as great as he is, holds the ball too long, can't seem to find open receivers downfield (if there are any), and out passing game is non-existent. A good team will stuff the run when you can't pass it.

Exactly. Florida keeps winning somehow, but if they hadn't have started this year preseason #1, they would not be #1 right now. Alabama has had its ups and downs, but they seem to have more "together" this year.

everyone talks about texas and florida...well, if alabama beats the gators, texas has a tough big12 title game too...likely the huskers. could be alabama & tcu!

I'd like to see Texas in it... don't think that the huskers will really be to much trouble. If they do mess things up, I'd also be happy to see TCU go for it. I am a little bias, my cousin plays for TCU (O Line). We'll just have to wait and see....

Preston

Didn't get to see the game live, (wife taped it for me to watch tonight) but the Rebels seem to have lost a lot of scoring opportunities and still managed to pull out a win against LSU in the 2nd Annual Magnolia Bowl. They did not twist the tiger's tail, but they put a kink in it, Rebels 25-Cats 23.

Exactly. Florida keeps winning somehow, but if they hadn't have started this year preseason #1, they would not be #1 right now. Alabama has had its ups and downs, but they seem to have more "together" this year.

Didn't Florida win the National Title last year?

Didn't Florida win the National Title last year?

That they did.

Do i hear playoff system?

Its a real shame that this can't be at least done for a year or two in the near future (before 2015) to see how things would work out.

But i digress.

It has been a great football season so far and i am looking forward to seeing the Duck play in the rose bowl.

Do i hear playoff system?

Its a real shame that this can't be at least done for a year or two in the near future (before 2015) to see how things would work out.

But i digress.

It has been a great football season so far and i am looking forward to seeing the Duck play in the rose bowl.

Coolie

You have been a great sport with that avatar all year, I bet you are looking forward to the SEC Championship game too, as that will be the culmination of your 1 year bet.

:cheers: for being a great sport

Please pardon me, but a post above seems to say that the SEC is 3-23 against ranked teams this year. Unfortunately ( ;) ), we have 2 of the best 3 teams in the country (at least according to every poll in the country at the moment), so that tends to distort things a little. Our out-of-conference record is 39-6 at this point in the season (granted, many of those wins are against pansy teams). 4 of the 6 out-of-conference losses are by the 2 worst teams in our conference (my poor MSU Bulldogs & Vanderbilt), and 1 each lost by MSU & Vandy are to GA Tech, who's only lost 1 game. The SEC may not be head-and-shoulders above other conferences, but it is certainly still competetive.

Although I'm pulling for Florida, I agree that Alabama seems to be doing better and probably has the better chance at winning the SEC Championship. The interesting thing to watch will be two of the best defenses in the country play in that game. I live in 'Bama, and the Bama fans are still having to remember all the way back to '92 for now.

Edited by chemepharmd