Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being Checked At The Door As If I Was A Thief

Nik Habicht

Lately it seems like more and more stores are employing the membership warehouse receipt inspection as you try to leave the store. I may put up with that at Sam's or B.J.'s as it's a condition of membership, but 'm not willing to put up with it at Best Buy or Comp USA. Enough is enough! It doesn't take a brain surgeon to watch the checkout lines and exit, and for that person to watch me pay and put my wallet away and fold up my receipt as I'm pushing the cart to the exit. They should be able to figure out that I just paid for my purchase! Then you want to detain me further? I get that shrink (read retail theft) is a serious issue for retailers --- but I'd expect them to take some effective measures to combat theft that don't involve inconveniencing the 95% of the people in the store who have no intention of stealing anything! I've gotten to the point now where I just say "No, Thanks" and keep right on walking.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a contract as you would have with Sam's or Costco, what authority does a store even have to detain you that way?

I like your "No, Thanks" and walking deal. I'm going to do that myself. It's polite, yet assertive.

I have employed the "just say no" strategy for years now. Not once has anyone challenged my denial. It is really cool to do this when you are with some of your more timid friends. You know the ones who would NEVER challenge any sort of authority? ;)

-ld

jhgtyre

You don't have to wait till you are in a situation where they ask for your receipt. Anytime they ask for your phone # or your email address, or your SS, just say no. It is not required, and is an invasion of your privacy.

Getting a refund at Office Max, wanted phone and email and address. Not only NO, Hell No. Refund processed, no further questions.

Sunday at the local Walmart the person ahead of me set off the electronic inventory protection device. Employees came out of the woodwork to stop everyone near the door and detain us while we had to show our receipts and empty our pockets. They never did find out what made the alarm go off because when we all went back through one at a time it didn't go off again. No apologies were offered.

I was just waiting for someone to pat me down. I am sure their reaction when their hand met the Kimber on my hip would have been "interesting".

I have even noticed that Best Buy is stopping people at the door without any purchases and asking them if they bought anything. It isn't unusual for me to go into one of those stores and buy nothing and I very much resent being challenged at the door because my hands are empty.

I understand that these stores have a big problem but I am not so sure that this is the way to solve it.

Meanwhile these stores are losing customers like myself.

The other places are mostly trying to stop the ol' run-around fraud what with marking the reciepts and all.. how it works is when the store is busy and the registers are far away from the exit.. you buy something expensive and walk out, depositing it in the car, then come back in with the reciept in your pocket, grab another one off the shelf and walk out again.. if anybody asks, you show 'em the reciept.

Later you return one and sell the other for crack.

Don't try this at home. Cameras are cheap and everywhere.

My only problem with Costco is that they often have one person at the door marking receipts and a line clear back to the registers. At least this is what happens at my "local" Costco.

Home Depot is another one I dislike for their stupid security devices. More often than not when I buy something that is tagged I am setting off the door gizmo on my way out because they didn't adequately demagnetize the strip or whatever it is they do.

Last time I bought a power tool I found the strip on the outside of the box, tore it off and handed it to the cashier to throw away because I didn't want to get nailed at the door. Her remark was "a lot of people are doing this lately". What does THAT tell you? ;)

I hate the noisemakers too --- but keep right on walking. It's gonna take more than a request to get me to cooperate with some kid who has no concept of what loss prevention should be about. I agree --- it just aggravates me and sends me to e-tailers ---- possibly the best and most convenient (hey, the stuff shows up on my doorstep, folks) way for an introvert like me to shop.

• 2 weeks later...

I have GOT to get Rob Boudrie's response to this nonsense. It goes something along the lines of; "I refuse to remain here of my own free will. Are you placing me under arrest? If not, I am leaving. If so, you had best consult your attorney." :wacko:

I HATE going to BJ's Wholesale for this reason. I do however love the fact that they have self-checkout, so I don't have to deal with the idiot slackers that take twice as long to process me as I do myself. :angry:

If I don't need the receipt, I just hand it to them as I walk by and keep on going.... :D

• 3 weeks later...

OK Michael, here it is...

The incident Michael refers to was at a Home Depot when my wife, kid and myself were stopped when the beeper when off when we had one trowel and two tubs of driveway sealer in a shopping cart. Usually, I'd let things slide, but the clerk was a bit rude and started going through my property (the store did not own it any more since I had already paid for it) without asking, and was visibly offensive to my family.

Using my best RO bearing, I politely but firmly stated "I do not consent to remain here on a voluntary basis, but I will not resist if you are placing me in involuntary custody. Am I being detained?" She told me to wait while she called someone, to which I responded "Perhaps you did not understand - I am not consenting to remain voluntarily and will leave right now unless you inform me that I am in custody. Am I your prisoner or am I free to leave?" The entertainment ended when the beeper stopped and she decided to leave. Let's just say the clerk would have been a bit surprised by the initial safety formalities if the local authorities were summoned to the scene :).

And if WalMart or any other store ever demands I empty my pockets, I'll offer to remain by the entrance peacefully while the real police are summoned. I'll leave being a sheep to the Democrats and liberals.

I HATE going to BJ's Wholesale for this reason. I do however love the fact that they have self-checkout, so I don't have to deal with the idiot slackers that take twice as long to process me as I do myself. :angry:

I have to disagree with you on the automatic checkouts.

By using an auto checkout you are taking a job away from a human worker and giving that profit to an oversees corporation. That person at the grocery store or home depot checkout is not making alot but they are working to earn a wage and pay taxes, this is a big step up from welfare.

I rather deal with those "idiot slackers" working in the store than the unemployed beggars in the parking lot.

We are loosing blue and white collar jobs at a horrendous rate, by keeping people gainfully employed we are helping keep crime down which in turn will help us keep our guns. Feel free to use LA, Detroit and NewYork as examples. :angry:

Using my best RO bearing, I politely but firmly stated "I do not consent to remain here on a voluntary basis, but I will not resist if you are placing me in involuntary custody. Am I being detained?" She told me to wait while she called someone, to which I responded "Perhaps you did not understand - I am not consenting to remain voluntarily and will leave right now unless you inform me that I am in custody. Am I your prisoner or am I free to leave?"

Speaking of detention . . . what right would they have to detain you, anyway? And to what lengths would they be allowed to go to keep you there? I'm sure it varies somewhat by state, but there have to be some general guidelines.

Would they have to make a citizen's arrest and jump through all the subsequent hoops?

And if WalMart or any other store ever demands I empty my pockets, I'll offer to remain by the entrance peacefully while the real police are summoned.

That's been my plan for a while too.

Guest Larry Cazes

Frankly, I'm shocked to have to be the discenting voice on this one! Retail stores are in business to make a profit. I worked in retail for many years during high school and college and the amount of lost profit due to theft for most retail stores without this policy is huge. You may also be surprised to know that theft is generally spread across all demographic groups. Since I'm out of work, I have opened a membership at our local Costco and save a pile of money buying food there in bulk. It may be a little less convenient then most food stores but the savings are worth it. Oh and by the way, if that local Costco of yours did not have this policy, the loss due to theft would just be passed on to the consumer in higher prices! Be thankful for this diligence, it keeps costs lower for everyone.

Larry

Rhino, Rob's strategy is basically to call their bluff on the detention thing. AFAIK, if they don't make a citizen's arrest, holding you would be "false arrest," a lower form of kidnapping. And grabbing your arm would be assault. In CA, you've got to witness a felony committed in your presence to make a citizen's arrest. So if they grab you and hold you just because you will not show your goods or receipt, they are in deep doo-doo... if you can find someone who gives a hoot.

If the security beeper is going off, they may be in better legal shape to go chasing after you. I dunno the specifics on that and they probably vary by state..

anyway.. if you're just refusing to have your reciept striped by the guy with the pink pen at the exit, as soon as you make a fuss, their job is done.. You can't come right back around with the same stuff and pretend you just bought it.. Of course you may have trouble returning stuff with an unstriped reciept, but that's a whole different rant.

[mouthy redhead rant mode on] The only time I really have a gripe with this stuff is when the security guy watches me go through the line while standing at the foot of the register and then demands to see the receipt he watched the cashier hand to me. Arrrrgggghhhh!!! :angry:

In a word, "NO!" You just WATCHED me pay for that and WATCHED the cashier give me a receipt. What more do you want??? BTW, he didn't have the magic highlighter, either. He appeared to be just acting ignorant. [/mouthy redhead rant mode off]

I was ready for that treatment in Wal-Mart today. I had the exact information that was on the receipt memorized. No chance of that. They only want to see it when the packages weigh a lot, you know, when we go there for cheap shotgun ammo by the case. :rolleyes: Luckily, I am usually not carrying the boxes. Husbands and friends are good for something. B):lol:

L

I guess I have a hard time getting too worked up over this. I mean, you know the deal going in, and no one is forcing you to shop there. Just the fact that there is someone at the exit giving all the customers the skunk-eye probably reduces a lot of theft. Similar to an empty police cruiser parked on the side of the road slows down drivers. I don't know if the membership agreement at Sam's contains some consent language for having your bags rummaged through.

I think I'd draw the line at them searching my person, and take Rob's stance.

And if WalMart or any other store ever demands I empty my pockets, I'll offer to remain by the entrance peacefully while the real police are summoned. I'll leave being a sheep to the Democrats and liberals.

Very thought prvoking hate rant, thanks.

I had a video tape of a guy in one of our record stores trying to stab me with a K-bar after I asked him why he was setting off our alarm system.

The cops charged him aggravated menacing, no armed robbery because I couldn't tell them exactly what he took. They told me to make something up and I refused.

In the video, you can see the lights flashing on the gate as he goes thru.

At the trial, the judge refused to look at the video, and refused to tell me why he wouldn't. He just didn't.

Peter M. green was sentenced to six months, suspended for "time served" after he spent the weekend in jail. 5 years probation.

After the trial, I asked the prosecutor how I was supposed to protect myself from a guy who knows where I work and can easily follow me home.

"Get a gun"

In retrospect, I am thankful for this event, as it introduced me to shooting...and showed me how the world really works:

Bad guys with weapons take what they want from the defenseless.

I used to dream, in vivid detail about him coming around for revenge at my house. There was a time when I wished he would...I'm older now.

BTW, most new release CDs, DVDs and games have an imbedded security tag that the cashier will likely forget about. If the alarm goes off, do anything but whip out a K-Bar.

I heard a district manager for musicland tell me once that if he could stop employee theft, he'd let the shoplifters take whatever they wanted...employee theft is three times greater than shoplifting.

My advice: Leave yer reciept out,let the oldtimer have a look, and wish him a Merry Christmas. Be a hardass some other day.

If you are really offended, explain it to the store manager in front of as many customers as possible. No chain store will hassle you much.

Don't leave home without your CCW. And don't move to Ohio.

SA

I've noticed that people lose their sense of humor really quickly when you pull your K-Bar on them. :D

Steve . . . do you think the incident you related contributed significantly to your obvious desire to operate your firearm very quickly and accurately? Seems like an excellent motivator to me.

Just curious... any of y'all that are upset by this tried the "no thanks" approach as you walk out? It sounds courteous, but you're telling 'em to blow it out their arses... plus, most of the time they think that you think that they're doing some sort of promotional thing with other people that you're not interested in doing... the doubletake that follows when the goonies at the door think that is priceless. :D

I've done that several times at Best Buy when I'm walking out with CDs and they've got a half dozen people backed up at the door with TVs, etc. Works like a charm.

I hate getting electronically "frisked" on my way out the door. I also hate shoplifting as well. My mom used to manage a retail fabric store and the amount of theft was just stunning. The local gypsy crime syndicate would send thier kids in to steal the most expensive merchandise in the store. The losses were hideous and there was nothing they could do to stop it since the kids were unprosecutable.

It's easy to get offended, but keep in mind that people are really stealing from you, since it's the consumer who pays for it in the end.