Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The best AR .223 barrel

Nedragon

Many companies use Wilson Arms blanks. Their match grade blanks are good. Firebird Precision uses Lothar-Walther barrels. White Oak Armament barrels are on Wilson Arms blanks, word is that JP uses them also. That I can't confirm. Krieger and Shilen are both producing barrels for AR's, although, they tend to cater to the Highpower shooters. Compass Lake, also caters more to the Highpower crowd, and they machine for multiple companies (CNC equipment that sits still makes no money).

I'm no top shooter, but, the barrels on the AR's in my safe are a Lothar-Walther (Firebird) and several Wilson Arms, 2 from White Oak (SPR) and one that I machined from the blank.

Since this is the 3 gun forum...my preference is the JP followed by Olympic (very good barrels but don't ask about the lowers), Sabre, DPMS and the list goes on. Remember we are talking 3 gun and not sub minute of angle like a long range (700 +). These are capable of sub minute but I am only paying for minute price:-)

My .02 cents...

RLTW,

Scott

I have used a LaRue, KAC, JP and Noveske (or currently do).

Between the aforementioned they are all great barrels and solid shooters.

I am a bit biased but I have found my Noveske barrels to continue to be tack driver accurate.

That would be my choice when it is all said and done.

I believe Taran uses a Noveske as well.

My current gammer rifles are

16" noveske mid-length gas

18" sabre mid-length gas

20" dpms turned down rifle length gas system

All shoot sub moa with the right ammo.

All the below are good. Pick one based on what you want (in terms of twist, profile, and gas system length) and can aford and shoot it till you wear it out.

In no paticular order:

Noveske

Compass lake

Lothar walther

Jp

Sabre

Olympic

Dpms

Wilson

Edited by caspian guy

I like my Noveske barrels. I have been shooting an 18" rifle gas barrel for the last two seasons. Just got my new 17" rifle gas barrel. There are alot of good barrels out there. I've used many mentioned. I've just found the Noveske to produce the best accuracy over a wider variety of loads and be the most durable in longevity. Meaning it takes a beating and does not lose its accuracy. Many of the other barrels I have used lost accuracy in half the rounds my Noveske has seen. And I have seen no degradation in its accuracy yet.

Eventhough the first two Oly barrels I had would do under 1/2", I would no longer recommend them because I recieved one that was cut with a bad broach and would barely make 2" at 100 yards. Oly admitted that they had a bad run of barrels and said they would take care of me and inspect the new barrel and test fire it for accuracy.

I sent the complete upper to them and they replaced the bad barrel with another bad barrel.

Then I sent it back and they did it AGAIN! After almost a year of frustration, and 4 different barrels, I Finally got a good one.

No more Oly for me!!

One of the reasons the Noveske's are so good, is because he starts with a Pac-Nor blank.

The Pac-Nor barreled AR's that I have built would all average in the 3's. That's an average for 5 shots at 100 yards. Many groups are in the 1's and 2's.

Tony

One of the reasons the Noveske's are so good, is because he starts with a Pac-Nor blank.

The Pac-Nor barreled AR's that I have built would all average in the 3's. That's an average for 5 shots at 100 yards. Many groups are in the 1's and 2's.

Tony

3 inches?! Or .3"? Or 3 cm?

Tony

Yeah.....what do you mean? 3's and 1's and 2's?

As for the PacNor blank......very true,but Noveske has a strict set of specs that PacNor does for his barrels and his only. It is not a standard PacNor blank.

Edited by 00bullitt

Shooting in the 3's means .300" - .399"

I guess there are not many bench rest shooters on this board.

Tony

At its the man from Tromix himself! I didnt know you were here too.

Yeah, Noveskes(pac-nor) barrels are really an ideal choice for 3 gunners IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran across this guy: Ballistic Advantage

I spoke to him on the phone and ordered an 18in Midlength in 1/8 twist with a government profile to reduce weight. He is also going to index it for a comp. He hasn't started on it yet (waiting on more blanks), but I am thinking about changing it to a Wylde chamber and chrome lined.

Edited by prreed10

You will be hard pressed to beat the performance of a single cut rifled barrel. Most manufacturers use button cut rifled barrels, which is an easier method to produce a rifled barrel but accuracy may or may not be as good as a single point cut barrel. As far as I am concerned single point cut rifling is the way to go if you want a truly accurate barrel. As for manufacturers take a look at Krieger, Rock Creek, and Satern, thoser are some of the ones that come to mind, but as long as you get an AR barrel extension competent gunsmith can make any barrel an AR barrel.