Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USCBigdawg (and the Mrs.) Are Moving! (Poll Added)

So here's the deal. Y'all have heard my whining over the series of layoffs at my current employer. That instability is annoying and has grown more than old. Add to that getting married in 2 weeks (:D) and the priorities and rules are different.

The (future) Mrs. is a registered dental assistant which translates to her being able to find work ANYWHERE. I'm working 40+ hours a week still, but also going to school full time this summer, quitting my job in the fall and going to college full time for the next year to satisfy prerequisites before going in to a PA program. The lead candidates for PA school are as follows:

The Leaders:

- South University, Savannah, GA

* Great school, gorgeous city, no IPSC Shooting

* We'll be near great friends (kgunz11, OpenShooterGirl, et. al.)

- University of Florida, Gainesville, FL

* I'm sure Susan (OpenShooterGirl) is going to kill me for being a Gator, but zhunter might like me :D

* Great school, great city and I'm guessing plenty of shooting

- Army Interservice Physicians Assistant Program

* Will transfer/join the GA National Guard and let Uncle Sugar pay for PA School

* Down side (and not really one) is going back to work for Uncle Sam and not knowing where I'll do clinicals

Others being considered:

- UC Davis, Davis, CA

- Touro University, Henderson, NV

- Univ. of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM

- University of Texas, San Antonio (Health Sciences School)

- Univ. of Utah

Schools that I need to check more in to:

- Arizona School of Health Sciences

So as you can see, we're open to anything. Shooting IS a priority and there's a definite preference to move back to the south.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rich,

How about Birmingham. It looks like the University of Alabama Birmingham has PA program of some kind

http://main.uab.edu/shrp/default.aspx?pid=77392

5 USPSA matches within a 1.5hr radius (more in Atlanta if you need more). Good quarterly rifle matches (courtesy of dt1).

And a low cost of living.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Alabama Section Coordinator

Oklahoma tied for last place in the 2007 Brady Campaign State Scorecard Rankings for gun control laws.

Could there be any better endorsement for a gun-friendly place to live? :roflol:

Go to school at OSU for undergrad and OU for PA graduate (only because OSU doesn't have a PA graduate program)

And you can shoot at USSA on the weekends!

USSA

I can see why you'd want to go South.

Of all the places I've been to, those in the South I have enjoyed more because of the people. They are so nice, and "comfortable " to be around. If my wife would go for it, I'd move in a second!

Good luck wherever you go!

Being selfish to bring youto our area would vote first for UF and second for Savannah. Good luck!

B)

This thread needs a poll.

Nemo...mi amigo...Jacksonville is actually on the list. That city has a soft spot in my heart since I helped design the baseball stadium and the arena in downtown.

Rich

I agree, this thread needs a poll.

And so you know, I'm a Gator too, she doesn't hold it against me until Halloween weekend. ;)

Did you know gas can be bought for less than $2.50 a gallon around here?

I agree, this thread needs a poll.

And so you know, I'm a Gator too, she doesn't hold it against me until Halloween weekend. ;)

Did you know gas can be bought for less than $2.50 a gallon around here?

Well if there is one cool part of going the GA-ARNG route, is that I know of a house near Camilla that we have been invited to "watch" for the owner. ;)

Rich

There's always the University of Iowa if your really sadistic... Iowa City is probably one of the most "liberal" cities in state.

It's good if you like lesbians though.

UofI has a kick ass medical school.... http://paprogram.medicine.uiowa.edu/

As for shooting...

45 minutes away is the Milan Rifle Club... (usually) 4th weekend USPSA and steel challenge every other month on the 2nd weekend. Sometimes the USPSA match moves due to highpower matches...

About 1 1/2 hours away is Black Hawk Pistol Club... 2nd weekend USPSA, 4th weekend IDPA

About 20 minutes away, Cedar Rapids Area Practical Shooters... 3rd weekend USPSA

About 2 1/2 hours away, Des Moines Area Practical Shooters... usually 2nd and 4th weekends, I believe

Frank

There is a good amount of shooting in the San Antonio area. I have seen a couple threads in the last week talking about all the matches in the area.

I'd pick it by what PA program you're trying to get into first.. and stop moving around.

Have you looked at the Standford program?

I knew a couple x-medics that went there (years ago) - it was very highly regarded...

Leaving California is guideline #1. While I have 2-3 schools on the back burner in CA, I'm tired of not having the gun rights and personal freedoms that I've had in AZ, KS, MO and NC. The ONLY thing that we'll miss about CA is our family and the great friends we have here (with that latter being the hardest part).

Bobby - Good to know about you and the Gater Nation. If I end up there (which is growing on me quick) then we'll just have to bring the Shake 'n' Bake to Susan come time for the World's Largest Cocktail Party!!!

Rich

I'm a big fan of Vegas- so Touro in Henderson, NV is a good choice. Dental Assistants are in high demand out here. There are 5 matches per month at our range. 2 USPSA, 1- 3 gun, 1 IDPA and 1 Steel challenge. Housing is CHEAP right now. Lots of folks rag on living in Vegas, but after 11 years, there is no place I'd rather live.

Dave is right about Stanford, might dig deep down the pocket but highly recommended. If it was me, San Antonio would be my choice; although I heard a lot of good eats in Savannah. Good luck where ever you decide to go.

Hey Man..What about Eastern Kentucky

We got shooting 5 matches within 1.5 hours drive.

4 Really Nice Seasons- You know, Winter Spring, Summer, Fall

Great Hunting- Possum, Squirrel, Racoons, cats, hamsters, etc.

Great Fishing- Carp, frogs, turtles, cans, toilet paper, etc.

Good Schools- University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, GED Testing center, etc.

Some other benefits

You will save water because we shower every other day

You will save on toothbrushes/ toothpaste, etc.... because if you got all your teeth, your visiting

I tell you to call me but someone cut my string and my can don't get no signal

Dave is right about Stanford, might dig deep down the pocket but highly recommended.

When I was looking at it.. you enrolled through a local community college, but Standford ran the program.. the cost was no where near what Stanford would be.. less than even the CSU's back then.

Don't know anything about the school but let's see:

Arizona

Pros - world class shooting on a weekly basis with some of the biggest names in the sport

pretty great pro gun laws

awesome retail and manufacturer support

short drive to Cali, New Mexico (Raton), Colorado, Vegas baby, and not too far from Texas

Cons - have to compete with me for primers, powder, etc.

Looks like AZ is out, sorry man. lol

I love my state but it's definately a fight any more when voting time comes around so you are for sure welcome here.

Regards, Tiz

Are the states mentioned friendly towards us Californians??? One of the local FBI agents who comes from Idaho was telling me if I moved to Idaho I should change my license plates within a day or two or expect vandalism.

Maybe the Californians aren't nice to the new states that they go to?

I'm not worried about that. With as much traveling that I've done and never changing my state plates, I think we'll be just fine. Remember...attitude gives you latitude. :D

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg