Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your favorite cut of steak?

be

I love either a Ribeye/Delmonico or Porterhouse. The marbleing of fat simply adds to the flavor!

Oh....Rare to Medium Rare.

I managed to snag a portion of leftover Delmonico from Durant's - man was it tasty.

be

be

I love either a Ribeye/Delmonico or Porterhouse. The marbleing of fat simply adds to the flavor!

I managed to snag a portion of leftover Delmonico from Durant's - man was it tasty.

be

If I'm not mistaken, a Ribeye and Delmonico are the same cut. Delmonico is kind of a regional name.

One of these days I want to try some dry aged steaks. There's a place nearby that has some dry aged steaks and roasts.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I superb butcher shop Ribeye is it for me.

Med-rare.

I vary how I cook it. Like many things, steaks can be done a hundred ways. Sometimes I'll do a light marinade of Dales. There's a canadian rub I like that I've bought at Sam's. My most normal method is a grill around 500 degrees. I mix sea salt, ground pepper, and diced garlic in extra virgin olive oil. Baste the steak, cook it up med-rare, and devour. Served best with asparagus baked on sheet lightly salted and peppered.

J

If I'm not mistaken, a Ribeye and Delmonico are the same cut. Delmonico is kind of a regional name.

One of these days I want to try some dry aged steaks. There's a place nearby that has some dry aged steaks and roasts.

My wife and I went to a place in Napa for the 4th of July dinner called Cole's Chop House. I had the best steak I have ever eaten. It was a 1lb 28 day dry aged NY Strip. If you are ever in this part of the country give it a try. You will not be disapointed.

I was lucky enough to accidentally discover a great steakhouse in Austin many years ago while traveling on business. Had a wonderful dry-aged strip. Once we all ordered, they brought a large tray with several of each cut ordered over to our table so we could select which ones we wanted.

I wish I could remember the name.

be

be

If you notice a ribeye has a center portion that is surrounded by a 1” or so strip of less dense meat which contains more fat. A Delmonico is a ribeye that has had this strip removed. Incidentally, this center, more dense portion is the same muscle (longissimus dorsi) as the NY Strip and the larger portion of a T-bone/Porterhouse. This is the loin. The tenderloin is a different muscle (I’ve forgotten the name) entirely. The tenderloin is the filet or the smaller portion of the T-bone/Porterhouse.

If you notice a ribeye has a center portion that is surrounded by a 1” or so strip of less dense meat which contains more fat. A Delmonico is a ribeye that has had this strip removed. Incidentally, this center, more dense portion is the same muscle (longissimus dorsi) as the NY Strip and the larger portion of a T-bone/Porterhouse. This is the loin. The tenderloin is a different muscle (I’ve forgotten the name) entirely. The tenderloin is the filet or the smaller portion of the T-bone/Porterhouse.

Thanks for the information.

• 2 weeks later...

I like mine Medium, not quite Medium-well. I like to cook over a Mesquite wood fire. Sometimes I will marinate with a Teriyaki marinade, most times it is just Salt and Pepper. Like others have mentioned, I never mash down on a steak, it just squeezes out the flavor. Fresh grated horseraddish on top is good too (just don't use too much). :cheers:

Hurley