Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

burris 1x4 xtp

benny hill

Nice improvement...

Does anyone know what the battery life of the new scope is like? Might it be even worse due to more brightness?

Googling around I found a spec stating the previous XTR had 30-100 hrs battery life which is even more pathetic than the Meopta... :(

Not sure. I never used the ill in my old one as it was too weak and just received my new one this week.

One thing that they did do is change from a CR-2025 battery to a CR-2032 which is larger so will provide more juice. But Idk if the increased ill will negate the larger batt.

I'm thinking about hanging an ATV battery on my belt and just running leads to the scope with a quick disconnect for transitions.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone hurry up and post a pic of the reticle already. I coudln't find this on the Burris website. Maybe I need to look harder.

The BDC part of the reticle is shorter and thinner and gets even thinner as it goes down. I'll try to take a pic when I get home - never tried to use a camera through a scope....

Kurt, the reticle works fine w/o batteries - it'll just show up black instead of glowing red. I've been using the (now) older model for a few months and never even turn the illumination on. So a dead battery won't strand you like an EOTech or Aimpoint. And I like the ladder style reticle as I feel that I can get more accurate holdovers. But clearly "some" people can shoot really well w/ the Meopta or Accupoint reticles. :)

Rennie, let us know if Burris will retrofit older models and for how much $$ - I would like to send my older one back to be "fixed".

Or you could just spend the $3 to replace your batteries before every major match. Considering the current price of ammo, an extra $3 wont break the bank ;)

I like the TR-21 series of scopes, just like Iron sights....N.B.N.!!! (no batteries needed) No switches no nothing, but look through them (just learned that from Kelly) and apply a good trigger press. I have found batteries will let you down eventually. KurtM

Solution change batteries on set schedule or if you have an Aimpoint every other leap year.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I like how Burris comes out with a "New and Improved" item that is nothing more then what the original should have been. Fixing a bad design should not be hailed as a great deed. Now everyone with the "old ones" will be stuck with something they can't sell and does not meet their expectations.

When Ford fixed the exploding Gas tank option on the Pinto they did not call it "New and Improved"

I like how Burris comes out with a "New and Improved" item that is nothing more then what the original should have been. Fixing a bad design should not be hailed as a great deed. Now everyone with the "old ones" will be stuck with something they can't sell and does not meet their expectations.

When Ford fixed the exploding Gas tank option on the Pinto they did not call it "New and Improved"

So companies should not improve their existing products in fear of pissing off existing owners?

Not directed at you Benny. I am not sure what Burris is calling it but they clearly made mistakes with the first run of the xtr and it looks like they are trying to fix it. I have no problem with a company improving their product as long as it is an improvement of a sound base model. The illumination is worthless on the first xtrs and this change should be looked at as fixing a defect.

Just got the new one today...Benny must have got a "Old Geezer Special" because mine isn't much better than my old one :)

Mine is marginally brighter than my old one. The illumination knob works every time without fiddling with it, and it takes 2032 batteries. The bottom stadia is a little thinner, which I like VERY much, and the zoom seems smoother. Clarity looks the same as my old one.

Of course, since I was home early and didn't feel like doing anything else, I cleaned the shop a little and ended up with a 18" light profile stainless Lothar Walther barrel, titanium carrier, 12" LaRue handguard, PRI adjustable gas block, Larue 1.5 mount on a CMMG flat top to put under that new Burris. Funny what you find in your spare parts boxes :D

Now if only I knew someone who made lowers so I could throw a ACE skeleton stock and a Gold trigger lower together...I have too many parts on hand :rolleyes:

Alex

Edited by Wakal

has anyone tested these at night in VERY low light conditions?

I suspect the reticle is overpowering for night time hog huntiing...

anyone care to take one out and report back?

where and how much are you getting the new version for?

SIDE NOTE--

I read all the posts here and was leaning towards a Burris XTR anyway so I placed an order for one through LaRue. Mine arrived within 2 days. LaRue is nothing short of amazing. Anyway, I went to the range yesterday and started to sight in that bad boy. It took 8-9 rds and I'm set. A big dust with rain came up and I left the area without replacing my turret caps. I know, DUH! Didn't realize it till I got home.

Immediatley I emailed Burris explaing my dumbass move and within 2 hours I received a message from a Customer Service guy named Josh, that 2 new replacements were in the mail and on the way. WOW!

A great product and great customer service.

PS Before I left the range, I just had to see how good the scope was. It was overcast, dust blowing, and raining. I connected with steel easily at 100m, 150m, 200m, 300m and 400m. I turned the bright dot on and it was amazing at how easy it was to identify those long shots. I like this scope a lot! My $.02. :)

The brightness works well in low light/dusk (it has an adjustable range knob, so no problem there...just not bright enough for direct Texas sun!). However, it does NOT work well with my PVS-7D, but that is a little TOO much "low light" ;)

Ah...they are about five and a half from Jerry's :ph34r:

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Now if only I knew someone who made lowers so I could throw a ACE skeleton stock and a Gold trigger lower together...I have too many parts on hand :rolleyes:

Alex

A friend of mine came up with a dreadnaught lower somewhere. Says he likes it. Don't know who he got it from. He says some open 3-gun shooter makes them. Try going to some 3-gun matches. Maybe you will run in to him. :roflol::cheers:

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Stearns

Okay, you sold me. Now, where is the best deal on the XTR 1-4X? I've called several dealers noted on the

Burris web site with no luck. I don't need the Fastfire sight. Any help?

If you need a mount as well, LaRue has an XTR and mount combo for ~$750.

I just looked at an XTR that one of my shooting buds got. He said he had gotten it about two weeks ago. I looked through it and it has the "plus" reticle (vs. the old "cross").

His scope had new batteries on it and I thought it was nowhere near the max brightness of a Meopta. With his you can just start to see the circle turning red in bright daylight. His XTR's reticle's brightness was closer to a Millet DMS than a Meopta. I would say it was comparable to a 1 setting on a Meopta.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone receive one of these direct from Burris recently?

I have been getting the runaround. First I'd have it Thanksgiving week then Christmas week now its 2010 and I still have not received my 1-4 XTR.

Their "Customer's Shoes" policy is a joke.

If they are in my shoes, then they are waiting with empty promises and no clue about what's happening because that's where I'm at.