Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To all our Texas shooters...a question.

Just thinkin'

If we were to move Texas and love Practical Pistol and some long range rifle, where do we plunk ourselves down?

Knowing what you know....just thinking.

Jim

Central Texas is a good start.

+1 Central Texas.. Temple/Belton or Waco or any surrounding area. It's a great place to live.

Check out this link courtesy of SteveJ :cheers:

Check out my map: Texas Ranges with Practical Pistol Matches

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp....052246&z=6

Edited by baerburtchell

Central Texas is a good start.

+1 Central Texas.. Temple/Belton or Waco or any surrounding area. It's a great place to live.

Check out this link courtesy of SteveJ

Check out my map: Texas Ranges with Practical Pistol Matches

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp....052246&z=6

What Paul said. He beat me to it. Check out my map, and plop yourself down in the middle of everything.

Coming from Arizona, you might want to try looking a little further west than Waco area. Try Austin/San Antonio. Much drier, and plenty to do.

Al.... Austin and San Antonio are west of Waco? and drier? Wait a minute while I flip my map 90 degrees. I normally drive south to Austin and San Antone.

Maybe San Angelo and Coleman. Nice folks, but not nearly as many matches out there in the drier climes.

Coming from Arizona, you might want to try looking a little further west than Waco area. Try Austin/San Antonio. Much drier, and plenty to do.

Al.... Austin and San Antonio are west of Waco? and drier? Wait a minute while I flip my map 90 degrees. I normally drive south to Austin and San Antone.

Maybe San Angelo and Coleman. Nice folks, but not nearly as many matches out there in the drier climes.

Waco's a cool town but depending on where you're moving from may not be for everyone.

Austins cool and san antonio aint bad.

In fact. Buy yourself a big place on lake travis and invite every body for weekly BBQ's and matches!

San Antonio has probably the most shooting to be had in the state. Check out the local matches:

http://www.rivercityshooters.com/index_files/p_Area.htm

Its not if every Saturday and Sunday has a match it is which one do you go to. USPSA, Steel, IDPA, Carbine or Action Shooting at http://www.americanactionshooting.com

Look up the cost of living index and you will find that housing is much cheaper in San Antonio than Austin, so is Electricity, and gas, food etc, more money for bullets. I absolutely hate the traffic in Austin and Houston, but I have to say Austin is working on better roads, just not fast enough.

Austin is short on long-range rifle locations (200+ yards), and even a little short on IPSC-approving ranges, though we're working on that. Other than that, it's a pretty good place.

Here's the type of dilemma you have in the Temple/Belton area. Tomorrow, 3rd Saturday there are two good 5-stage IDPA matches within driving distance. Both will be MD'd by two good shooting buddies. There will be lots of good shooting buddies at both matches. Plus, there's going to be a lot of good shooting buddies at a local 5-stage IPSC match. Choices and decisions every weekend. Saturday and Sunday.

In addition to Tiger Vally, Tac Pro has a 1,000yd range. Anywhere in the Temple/Belden/Waco area puts you in a great part of the world. If you like the San Antonio area, check out the Kerville/Fredricksburg area. The Texas Hill Country is hard to beat.

Let us know if you come down to look

Hello: I just moved from Corpus Christi and must say they are close to many shooting areas. It is 2 1/2 hours from San Antonio, 4 hours to Houston etc. The best part is that the real estate prices are great. You can also go fishing or to the beach. It is hot there and humid but the people are very friendly and the local club cbshooters shoot every weekend on Sundays. The winters are great with little rain and cooler weather. Saying all that I really like Albuquerque so far :cheers: Hope this helps and I would suggest you visit some of these places before you settle down. Thanks, Eric

If I were moving to Texas, Id move to either Gainesville or wichita falls.

That way, I could make all the doubletap and Dallas matches and still make it up to OKC or Tulsa; where the real shootin is in that thar neck of the woods.

;)

Pick someplace you like in the Austin/San Antonio or Georgetown or Waco area (Tiger Valley to 1000yds), Houston aint bad, you can get out to about 300 there. In my neck of the woods i can get out to 500 yds at my home range, 3 pistol matches a month, ect.

See www.texassouthsection.com for info..

• 1 month later...

Well, wifey and I finally did it. After several years of traveling out west (Arizona, New Mexico and Texas) for touristo vacations/real estate hunts we decided on a house on 5 acres southeast of Austin not to far from Smithville. We already closed on the house and will be making the move from Clearwater, Florida on October 1st.

I'm going to miss all my shooting buddies in Florida and all the good times we've had over the years but life moves on. I'll be looking for matches and ranges in Texas and continue shooting as much run-n-gun as I can.

The info in this thread and on this forum has been very helpful and I'm hoping and looking forward to running into fellow Texans out on the range.

agreed with above statements. its hard to find a place around houston that has 100meters and farther ranges. i live right next to a carters country, and its "interesting" to say the least sometimes when im up there.

A) bubba the 'tard who cant hold his own (insert the biggest caliber gun he could buy) and wants his 5 foot nothing wife to now shoot it without even showing her how to hold it.... better yet to hold it completely wrong..... then watching her blast it off, and never want to shoot again, because of bubba's wonderfull learnin'

B) plinking away with my 60 year old mosin nagant @ 100 yds, open sights, standing up tagging paper plate sized groups with 30 year old corrosive ammo............ and bubba the 'tard is hitting MY paper with his (insert the biggest caliber rifle he could buy) with a (insert most expensive scope he could finance when he bought the rifle)....... but refuses to let one of the guys bore sight it in for him for 35 bucks.......

C) the old men on sunday who look at me like im an alien when i go shoot skeet with my self-converted saiga 12 :roflol:

in any case, i would love to find a place that would/could allow me to shoot in peace and not worry about the public!

i do collect a handsome amount of brass though there, so thats why i justify going there :)

come on down to houston, we'll catch a beer or some greasy mexican food!

~halo

FWIW, Austin just got new IPSC bays built at the Austin Rifle Club; about 15 min east of town on 290. It's brand new and we're still sorting out the details, but it will rock. The ARC is member-only and has rifle matches out to 200 yards, classic bullseye pistol, smallbore, pistol silhouette, etc, plus the 5 new "Action" berms (IPSC & Steel now, very likely IDPA, SASS & 3-gun soon). http://www.alsppc.org and http://www.austinrifleclub.org

The Fayette County Gun Club is just outside La Grange (~20 min from Smithville), and I think has a 300+ yard rifle setup, plus trap & skeet and pistol bays. Limited public days, free access to members. http://www.fayettecountygunclub.com

• 3 weeks later...

I am running a little behind in some of my reading....

Well, wifey and I finally did it. After several years of traveling out west (Arizona, New Mexico and Texas) for touristo vacations/real estate hunts we decided on a house on 5 acres southeast of Austin not to far from Smithville. We already closed on the house and will be making the move from Clearwater, Florida on October 1st.

Smithville (the most drought-stricken town in central Texas.) is about 20 miles from me, and I am 30 miles from anywhere. :D

The Fayette County Gun Club is just outside La Grange (~20 min from Smithville), and I think has a 300+ yard rifle setup, plus trap & skeet and pistol bays.
ALSPPC used the 300 yd range at least once for a 3-gun match, so it is there.

Matches at ARC have been rained out twice, although the new bays are to be regraded and rocked as soon as they dry.

Lee

FWIW - the new bays at ARC will be superb once the footing is in place (supposed to happen very soon, now, as Lee says above). However, even for ARC members, access to them for practical pistol practice purposes sounds like its going to be very limited. I'm planning on maintaining my FCGC membership, or possibly joining CTRP in Waco for practice purposes, unless something changes at ARC. FCGC will be a little short on gear, unless you can get access to the stands and stuff they have out there - but making a few easily portable things out of PVC is do-able and workable. There might be a better option I'm unaware of, too....