Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fix for the snapping shellplate on a 650

Anybody tried this mod with just the bearing? Not installing the thrust washers? Might help with the ejector wire set up.

I find that this mid works great but, there is a very fine line on adjusting the bolt, between to tight and just right.

You guys are *way* over engineering this... if you need more clearance from either the bolt hitting the underside of the block on top or because of the ejector wire, just leave out the lower washer, the bearing will ride on the shell plate, you need the top one or the bearing will bind.

Alan

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I wound up pulling bearing kit off and sending it to another member to try...I just didn't like it I guess. In any event, since it was time to tear down my press for its annual deep cleaning and lube - i just started clipping down the detent spring until the shellplate ran like I wanted. Runs very smooth now.

I wound up pulling bearing kit off and sending it to another member to try...I just didn't like it I guess. In any event, since it was time to tear down my press for its annual deep cleaning and lube - i just started clipping down the detent spring until the shellplate ran like I wanted. Runs very smooth now.

The problem I have with cutting the spring is that the detent may not *index* correctly. Most likely this will show itself after some use and crud getting into the spring/ball, etc.

I've not seen a 650 that didn't benefit from just the bearing upgrade... but it does take a little touch to get the bolt to the right tightness/looseness to benefit from it. All my 650's have it and I load 9Major on one and couldn't do that with the powder that I use without the mod.

Alan

The problem I have with cutting the spring is that the detent may not *index* correctly. Most likely this will show itself after some use and crud getting into the spring/ball, etc.

I've not seen a 650 that didn't benefit from just the bearing upgrade... but it does take a little touch to get the bolt to the right tightness/looseness to benefit from it. All my 650's have it and I load 9Major on one and couldn't do that with the powder that I use without the mod.

Alan

The bearing fix didn't work on my xl650, with either the 2 washers and bearing or 1 washer and bearing.

I'm thinking about clipping the spring a little bit more and stretching it a little.

Here an Italian Website that compared all the fixes and they stated the clipping of the spring at about 1 and 1/2 coils did the best.

www.sardiniashootingclub.it

http://nuke.sardiniashootingclub.it/DILLONXL650PowderSpillage/tabid/200/Default.aspx

you can translate the website using Google translate.

If you use Google Chrome, it'll ask you if you want to translate the website.

They tried oil, grease, a nylon ball, etc, But, the cutting of the spring 1 and 1/2 coils and stretching it a little worked the best.

I just recently installed a bearing with one washer. I clipped exactly one coil and it worked, but just barely. It really didn't have enough tension to positively index into place. So I ended up sticking a new spring from my spare parts kit in and it now works fantastic. Guess I should have tried it first before clipping it.

Came back to this post to get the bearing numbers for a friend who just purchased a new 650.

It was a real help to me loading 9mm minor with Solo 1000. Solo 1000 is a light flake powder that was making a mess on the shell plate in a hundred rounds or so. Still spills a little but a good simple fix that just works.

Alan, Thanks for the Post.

• 3 weeks later...

Added the bearing and both washers from McMaster/Carr and also cut 1 coil off the detent spring. The press is much smoother now although I didn't notice any spillage from .38 special. I'm glad I went ahead and did this though as I also load for .40 major/minor, 9mm and .38 Supercomp (very full case).

Thanks....

I really didn't think there was a real reason to do this. That said, I decided if there was going to possibly be an improvement with 9mm loads, considering what it cost to give it a shot, I ordered from McMaster Carr. Got the mod done Tuesday and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked.

Thanks for the awesome tip guys. I'm amazed how smooth it is now.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if this will work for the 550? Please let me know.

Aloha,

wc

It would work but in my opinion is not necessary at all on the 550. You can pretty much spin the plate fast while still easing it to a stop. The 650 stops too abruptly in stock configuration.

Aloha,

wc

It would work but in my opinion is not necessary at all on the 550. You can pretty much spin the plate fast while still easing it to a stop. The 650 stops too abruptly in stock configuration.

Mahalo Sarge for your response! So the $39.95 turbo bearing from UniqueTek is definitely not worth it.

Aloha,

wc

Aloha,

wc

Mahalo Sarge for your response! So the $39.95 turbo bearing from UniqueTek is definitely not worth it.

Aloha,

wc

In my opinion, correct. It is not worth it on a 550.

After receiving suggestions on this forum, I moved the powder station to station 3.

Then catch the case with one finger leading it into position, when moving to seating station. All this while holding the bullet with my other fingers... looking into the case to confirm powder level and place bullet on the case.

Works much better then cutting coils and using bearings... I used both, but ran into another snapping issue, that led me to test the solution above.

/S

Sent from my V9 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

After receiving suggestions on this forum, I moved the powder station to station 3.

Then catch the case with one finger leading it into position, when moving to seating station. All this while holding the bullet with my other fingers... looking into the case to confirm powder level and place bullet on the case.

Works much better then cutting coils and using bearings... I used both, but ran into another snapping issue, that led me to test the solution above.

/S

Sent from my V9 using Tapatalk

I just ordered 2 bearings and 4 washers (always get spares when possible!). I run a powder-check die on station 3, so I can't do what you're doing. I need to smooth the plate rotation out. Even with light 9mm minor (3.9gr titegroup pushing to 128-130 PF), I'm sloshing powder.

• 7 months later...

I just received the bearing and washers the other day. Installed it in a couple of minutes and WOW, what a difference. This Forum is FULL of endless pieces of information. This totally eliminated the powder popping out of the case when indexing to the next stage.

THANKS AGAIN!

May i ask where you ordered the bearing & washers ? and what mods are necessary to install them ???

I just received the bearing and washers the other day. Installed it in a couple of minutes and WOW, what a difference. This Forum is FULL of endless pieces of information. This totally eliminated the powder popping out of the case when indexing to the next stage.

THANKS AGAIN!

May i ask where you ordered the bearing & washers ? and what mods are necessary to install them ???

Did you read any of this thread at all? Post 1 lists the parts and where to get them and everything you need to know is in the thread somewhere.

I'll look in the morning, but I assume this will work with a 1050 too. I'm tired of "slow" loading my 9major match ammo.

Did anyone ever try this fix for a 1050? I have the same problem with 9mm Open. It would require a much larger needle thrust bearing, but It seems like it might work?

Yes, you need to make and modify a couple of parts.

CIMG0802.JPG

Here's a link to my photo album with descriptions.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107754379149384581743/ReloadingPresses#5551133058358573426

• 2 weeks later...

what does Dillion think about this mod ? will it affect warranty or their willingness to help when service/advise is needed ??

Hi Cecil,

The only modified part is the lock ring and machine could be returned to stock configuration with a new (spec) lock ring, however, the modified ring would work fine. I'm never going back because the thrust bearing stopped the powder spillage problem.

Wes

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Instead of the bearing/washesrs I used a single nylon washer with a bit of grease on it. I haven't done hundreds of cases but the 5 cases I did test seemed to have worked great. No snapping no powder spillage. I'll have to do a few hundred this weekend to test it.

Edited by agalindo