Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fix for the snapping shellplate on a 650

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda borrowed a fix, but it appears to work just great... For those that might not know... When loading .40 or 9mm Major on a 650, the case get's kinda full. As a result, when the press indexes to the next station, there is a spring and ball detent that holds the shellplate into the next position and it seems most of the time, that ball "snaps" the plate into position enough that it causes powder to go flying. There have been various fixes - cut 1/2 - 1 turns off the spring under the ball detent, tighten or loosen the shellplate bolt, etc. None of them seem to *really* work.

What I found was a needle thrust bearing and a set of washers that are a perfect fit and appear to have solved the problem. This bearing allows you to *almost* tighten the shellplate bolt all the way and still allow the shellplate to turn freely. As a result, it takes all the play out of the shellplate and instead of the ball snapping the plate to the next index, it actually "glides" to that index.

The parts are local if in Atlanta, or if not, they are easily available via the web. If you order one day, they usually arrive the next.

So here's the fix.

Go to www.mcmaster.com (McMaster Carr - an awesome, just about has everything, parts supplier, that doesn't have a minimum order!), and get these parts.

5909K31 1 Each Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing Cage Assembly For 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 15/16" Od

5909K44 2 Each .032" Thick Washer For 1/2" Shaft Diameter Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing

That's PARTNUMBER, QTY, DESC

Mind you this is an open bearing so you'll need to make sure and keep it clean and lubed, but it should work.

Now, where did I borrow this... well Uniquetek makes a roller bearing mod for the 550 and while it requires a new "star" for it to work with this bearing, I figured, hey, there's no star used with the 650, so this should work and work it appears it does nicely.

I've made no other mods and will keep you posted as to my results... but *I'm tired of getting powder* all over occasionally.

Adjustment seems to be tighten the bolt to the stop finger tight, and then just a very small *smidge* back, then lock the allen screw.

YMMV,

Alan

IMAGES ADDED Below

DSCN0106-small.jpg

DSCN0107-small.jpg

I have been reading this post and picked up a set of bearing for my on order 650 from a local bearing store.

On Saturday I received my 650 from Brian and in no time did the update. Thanks Brian for the free shipping!!!

Anyway, after installing the Bearing I notice that the Ejector Wire will sit higher due to the bearing thickness and at ejection it will tilt and lockup the brass rather than ejecting

I was wondering if any one did a fix for this issue like reshaping the Ejector or polish the shell plate were it holds the brass etc.

I was thinking reshaping the ejector was the way to go but I wanted to ask before I did anything I will regret.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Txkid

Mine looks just like the pictures here, but I've never had a problem with the cartriges ejecting. However I only do 9mm and .40's.

Amn2_man, thank you for the reply. At this time I am only reloading 38 SC with my 650 and was thinking it might be just a 38 SC thing with this mod.

I have used the top two washers without the bottom one in the roller set to alleviate some of the vertical height which was causing ejector spring issues. Works just as smooth as with all 3 washers without the height

Bets

I have used the top two washers without the bottom one in the roller set to alleviate some of the vertical height which was causing ejector spring issues. Works just as smooth as with all 3 washers without the height

Bets

Thanks Bets i will give that a try this weekend

TXKid

I saw this mod about a year ago, and finally got around to trying it. Without having yet loaded any ammo with it, the bearing really seems to have smoothed out the shell plate action. There's also much less wobble in the plate, so I'm hoping to see a reduction in OAL variation.

I picked up the bearing and washers at a local bearing store. Timken part numbers:

bearing = NTA-815

washer = TRA-815

I also spent some time tweaking and fitting the ejector wire, working slowly so as not to snap it. Just in case, there is a spare in the Dillon 650 spare parts kit (everyone should have one of these kits on hand). Here's how it came out:

ShellPlate_BrgMod.jpg

Tested it with .40 and .223 shell plates and both seem to eject perfectly.

-Steve

I saw this mod about a year ago, and finally got around to trying it. Without having yet loaded any ammo with it, the bearing really seems to have smoothed out the shell plate action. There's also much less wobble in the plate, so I'm hoping to see a reduction in OAL variation.

I picked up the bearing and washers at a local bearing store. Timken part numbers:

bearing = NTA-815

washer = TRA-815

I also spent some time tweaking and fitting the ejector wire, working slowly so as not to snap it. Just in case, there is a spare in the Dillon 650 spare parts kit (everyone should have one of these kits on hand). Here's how it came out:

ShellPlate_BrgMod.jpg

Tested it with .40 and .223 shell plates and both seem to eject perfectly.

-Steve

Windscreen,

Today I just did the same mod to the Ejector and it fixed the lock up problem I had with 38 SC, I was thinking to add a picture to this post and saw you beat me.

Thanks for the photo.

Thomas

I tweaked the ejection wire a little differently. What I did was to increase the radius of the curved portion of the wire so that it encircles the washer-thrust washer-washer sandwich. Just had to make sure that the end of the curved portion doesn't go any higher than the top of the stack, which meant adjusting the angle that the wire takes as it starts into the curved portion.

Also, I use STP as lubricant between the shellplate and the base. You don't need a lot, but the shellplate does have to move freely/smoothly to click into place, or it'll cause problems with the primers. Before you tighten the nylon-tipped lock screw, activate the press without any components and make sure the primer piston comes up centered in the shellplate hole. There's a little play to allow adjustment in the location of the primer assembly, too. That's so the primer disc holes and shellplate holes can be aligned concentrically.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been using the 650 for about 12 years for 38 Super, 40, 9mm and 45. I added the bearing and the washers to my 650 and it really did smooth out the snapping thing.

However, I began to have problems with large primers flipping upside down and sideways before they were seated. Happened about 5-6 times per 100 rounds so not acceptable at all. I worked with Dillon over 3-4 phone calls and also got great ideas from this forum. Followed all suggestions given, even got the little primer plate alignment tool, used that, nothing solved the problem.

Out of ideas and with nothing to lose I removed the washer/bearing mod and have not had a flipped large primer since. I can't explain it, but it happened....

I have always picked up a bullet and lightly "caught" the case with my left hand as it moves into the seating station. This gets the bullet in position for seating and I can go a bit faster once I get into the groove. This also slows down the shellplate enough to prevent the snapping and powder jumping out of the cases. So back to old school style for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank a million for your fix/mod, Alan, it works like a charm !

It was very hard to find this bearing in Italy since all is in meters and millimeters here.

But I could finally find and order 3 INA bearings and 6 INA washers in Netherland.

fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=4121996&ucst=t

fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=4122012&ucst=t

Thanks again !

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

The ball bearing was installed directly when i got my 650 (the press is unusable for 9mm without it).

However another "snapping" issue has appeard instead. When the shell plate indexer resets, powder "jumps" out on station

Three. This is extremely annoying and forces me to put my finger on top of the case when raising the handle.

Down to under 300 rounds an hour because of this!

I pulled the press apart to see what could be causing it... index ring looked ok, spring ok, changed that spring loaded hammer looking indexarm. No effect.

Any ideas on hown to solve this?

Note:

Created a new thread on this instead, as i am not sure if it is related to the original content of the thread.

Could not find a delete post option on my android ?

Edited by saster

• 2 months later...

Wow, this is a great mod. I didn't have issues loading 40 and 45 on the XL650, the charge weights vs. case capacity generally keep the powder where it was supposed to be. In 9mm, there was powder all over the shellplate.

I first tried to clip 1/2 a coil off the ball bearing spring, it helped but not completely. I ordered 2 sets of bearings and washers (the second set for a backup) and did the install 3 hours ago. I just got done loading 2000 rounds of 9mm and there's 3 flakes of powder on the shellplate. That's a huge improvement.

It took longer to get a nice bend on the station 5 ejector wire than it did to setup and grease the bearing. After the 2000 round loading session I reset the shellplate tension as several people said would be necessary. Nice work to the people that discovered this and published the part numbers, Dillon should adopt this improvement for the press.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I only got my 650 a week ago, and this "Snapping" got to me immediately..! Lol..!

I ordered my washers & bearing yesterday and they were here today.

Thanks for this, I believe it should be a factory mod..! :cheers:

**Updated..**

Last night (Sat.) I did the Mod., it took 5 mins and then 15 more fiddling w/ it and she was done..

Seems so much better now, and I did not need to adjust my "Wire" in the least.. 'Loading .40sw Major..

Thanks, this is a VAST improvement indeed..!!

Edited by gunfixer