Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Opinions

RangerTrace

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Ben Hoffman (BCH'N Custom, Ltd) gun, a Doug Jones (Acc-u-rail) gun and one by an unknown builder that I'm the third or fourth owner of. All are 9mm guns. The first two just flat run all the time and the third took a bit of tweaking to get it dialed in.

+1 For Jeff Abernathy. You just won't meet a nicer guy. His dad Tommy built mine ( I bought it used), and it runs pretty good. The shooters in the southeast lost a great guy when Tommy left us. Thankfully Jeff stepped in and he is filling some pretty big shoes.

My gun was originally built (reportedly) by Dawson in the mid 90s on a Para gunsmith frame. Interestingly enough, the frame was milled with an STI feedramp, rather than the cut that Para now uses on their barrel feedramps.

When the frame died, I sent it off to Virgil Tripp along with a new STI frame, and he rebuilt it using the old upper and new frame.

tripp, he aint building them no more.

I have an open glock ive been tinkering with as time allows. i need a red dot sight for it and it should be good to go.

40 cal glock 22

Lone Wolf Barrel

Lone Wolf comp and a custom 6 port job i bought off another member here.

vanek like trigger (my knock off copy breaks at 2 pounds and lights off CCI pistol primers 100%)

Brass Magwell.

gonna put a bushnell micro dot on the Siedler scope mount and give it a try.

with a cheap BSA sight on it off my 22 rifle shooting the lone wolf comp and 185 pf major loads it shoots very well. at 170 pf its even better. Recoil killed the BSA sight in 500 rounds...and i expected that. i just shot it to see how the gun tracked.

The downside is mag capacity. 25 rounds which isnt bad, its just not 29.

i would not concern myself so much with recoil reduction on an open gun...they all work pretty good... get a gun that is reliable and go shoot!

harmon

i've got an STI grandmaster and a limcat...along with a bedell shorty on order. my fav is definitely the limcat over the grandmaster by a long shot (no pun intended). i'm looking forward to the bedell.

Matt McLearn built my two 9x21 Open guns, long before M2I, before SIG, back when he was working in Claremore OK.

After a long period of no new guns, I am about to send him my Springfield EMP in .40 S&W to tune up to serve as my carry gun.

Edited by jmaass

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Fadil, a good friend, built mine. It has been extremely reliable and is much more accurate than I am.

My first Open was a used EGW Para that also always worked great.

I would gladly have any of those smiths build me a gun, but if I had to choose, it would be Gary Natale at Gans.

:cheers:

Could not have said it better..........

I used to ride my bike over from Sylvan Lake to the ice cream store at the road junction in Hopewell Junction. That was a long time ago!

Grandpoobah

My 38 super was built by Les Baer on a Para gunsmith frame, but don't think he will build them anymore on a Para frame. I had the comp start cracking on me at the first port after about 20,000+ rounds. Les put a new barrel and comp on it for me but said that he wouldn't do it again (for free anyway). While he was replacing the barrel/comp (long time) I switched to shooting limited and really never went back to open division. I want to get back to the red dot now though, my eyes don't focus too well anymore on the iron sights.

2629852700042310107S600x600Q85.jpg

Gary Natale just (Fedex delivered it today!) finished the one with the red grip (Quinn mount). He finished the blue grip (Barry mount) in March. 3500+ rounds through it without a single problem related to the gun. Fast, professional, and resonably priced.

post-12164-1246653829_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt2ace