Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Rock Chucker

Am I the only dinosaur who's using an RCBS Rock Chucker? I've had mine since 1972 and have produced tens upon tens of thousands of rounds with it. My shooting buddies think I'm insane. They tell me I'd love life with a Dillon. I've often thought about it, but I think it would be like cheating. We've been together so long and all.. Am I beyond help? :(

Depends on how much time you like to spend loading. I do not have enough time to load pistol rounds or high use rifle on a single stage. I do use a single stage for my precision rifle and 50bmg. If you want to load all your practice ammo for a week in 30-60 minutes, get the dillon. You do not have to get rid of the RCBS. Everybody should have multiple presses.

Randy

Am I the only dinosaur who's using an RCBS Rock Chucker? I've had mine since 1972 and have produced tens upon tens of thousands of rounds with it. My shooting buddies think I'm insane. They tell me I'd love life with a Dillon. I've often thought about it, but I think it would be like cheating. We've been together so long and all.. Am I beyond help? :(

Nope your not the only one, I reload all of my rifle ammo on a Rock Chucker. It was handed down to me by my father. It isn't going anywhere. I load all of my pistol ammo on a dillion, but just cant bring myself to try rifle rounds on a progressive. Thought about it..........thats about as far as I got. Wouldn't do my pistol ammo on the chucker. Wouldn't have time to surf Brian Enos.

Free Plug included!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I have loaded many thousands of rounds on my Rock Chucker. I purchased a Square Deal B (set up in 9mm) a couple years ago and I just can't warm up to progressive reloading. It is obviously faster, but I like reloading and I don't really get in a hurry when I'm doing it.

I'll probably sell my SDB and just go back to single stage loading everything.

You're not alone! I still load all of the ammo used in my bolt guns on the old Rock Chucker. I bought it in 1976 and it's still going strong. If s person shoots very much, you'll always have some uses for a good single station press.

I've had my Rock Ckucker since '66 and loaded 1000's of 357's before I started shooting 1911's. Now I deprime all my 9 and 45 and 223 cases with the Rock Chucker and then hand prime before sticking them in a 550. I hate changing the primer feed and I know they are flush or lower my way. If you are shooting more than 100 rounds a week the 550 is the way to go. If you are shooting 750-1000 a week then the 650 is the ticket.

Your not alone, i started on a rock chucker in the early 70's, then got a lyman orange crusher in 1980, and have loaded thousands of rifle and pistol on it, although i still use it for rifle and some pistol, my main loader is my Dillon 650, ive got about 5000 rds through it, and love it, it's a awsome machine.

I have a Rock Chucker fitted with the Hornady LNLoad system of bushings. It makes changing dies much faster and breathes new life into an old press. I can swap dies faster and I don't have to worry about adjusting them once I put them in. The darned system just works!!

• 1 month later...

I use the Rock to resize-deprime. This keeps primer dirt and corncob grit out the big machine(1050).It also reduces cranking effort which my tendonitis appreciates. Regards, Kirby

• 4 weeks later...

Bought my Rock Chucker in '73 and it's served me faithfully since then. A few years ago, I started casting bullets and started spending a few nights a month casting and lubing which cut into my reloading time. I needed a faster method for reloading, got a progressive and never looked back... I still have that Rock Chucker and use it for rifle loads but I sure wished I got a progressive press sooner.

I've often thought about it, but I think it would be like cheating.

"It's not cheating if you're in a different time zone" ... wait wrong quote ... "it's not cheating if she knows about it and wants to participate then it's called manage a fun!"

Seriously, if it's working for you why change? If you need to save some time then go with the Dillion (minimum 650). Whatever you do ... NEVER get rid of the Rock Chucker. I did ... still regret it.

Edited by short_round

I still use my Rock Chucker for small batch reloading or when I break a part on the 650 that I don't have a spare for at the time. It's good to have even if it is slow but then just having a press is better than having a broken press and no way to make ammo till the part comes in.

Still using my Rock Chucker. Mainly rifle loads in small volume. Resize .223 in volume then send through the Pro 2000. When I first got into shooting pistol, I loaded 1200 rounds of 9mm on the RC. That's all it took to go progressive.

Just got the 650 mounted on the bench. Just waiting on dies for 9 and 40 for the Dillon and I'll be off and running. :cheers:

post-5109-1249965014_thumb.jpg

I started loading around 1964 with the Lyman 310 tool and did so until about 1967 when I bought a Rock Chucker. Have had the press with me all these years and still use it a lot. Currently shoot 200 -300 9mm every Sat morning when possible. Yes, a lot of work with the rock Chucker. Work on shells in bit and pieces. Getting dressed in morning might deprime 50. Getting home from work might flare 50 while changing cloths, etc.

Just loaded a batch of 375 H&H with different bullets, powder, etc., in preperation for moose season. Will always have use for Rock Chucker. However, would buy a Dillon 650 in a heartbeat if I had the money to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Then I'm a dinosaur too. :cheers:

I load all of my pistol/revolver on a 1050 but all of my rifle (.308, .223, .338LM, 22-250, 30/30, 300Savage, 303Brit) on a RockChucker that I bought used in 1978.

I'm thinking that I may change to the 1050 for the .223 for my AR. :surprise: