Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What pistol are you recommending for Production Class

I am getting back into shooting IPSC/USPSA and am looking for a recommendation for a pistol and rig that would qualify for Production Class. What are you shooting and why? Anyone shooting 10mm? I load for 10m/45/44 Magnum. I can always add a new caliber though.

Thanks,

Jason Carroll

Aurora, CO

Welcome, i shot a 10mm, S&W 1006 last year, it worked and it got me addicted, to the sport, although brass can be expensive and sometimes hard to find, my wife & I bought S&W M&P 40's, shooting limited and production, & our scores just about doubled, you already have 10mm dies, so loading 40 is not a problem, with the 40 you can shoot Production & also try limited, with the same gun, i not really a glock fan, but ive also shot XD's, and they are really nice, i would try a few different guns, and see what feels/works best for you.

I carry a 40 for duty, so it is a caliber that I am considering. I have an HK USPc and Walther P99 in 40. The only 9mm I have is an IMI 941 Jerico. It could be a possiblity. I have an EAA Witness Stock in 10mm, but it doesn't sing for me. I have it up for trade on a few other boards as I am new here. Looking for a Glock or HK USP, but the xD would be a possiblity. Any other recommendations would be great.

Jason

I've seen a regular shooter here in CO take a HK USPc to B class, and then he stagnated. He changed guns.

There's a match in Boulder on Sunday, starts at 0900. Come out and see what you can see. There will be lots of shooters as the match is one of the qualifiers for next years nationals slots for the area. Multiple guns to check out and probably get to shoot and then you can figure out which way to go.

Hello Jason,

I am a fairly new USPSA participant who has only shot Production. I have tried a WHOLE BUNCH of different guns is search of the perfect blaster for this game: in 9mm I have played around with a Glock 17, G34 and CZ SP-01; and in .40S&W an M&P 40, a Glock 35 and a Sig P229. One thing I have discovered in my silly quest is that there is no such thing as the "perfect gun" nor the "perfect caliber".

Although most Production shooters are currently shooting 9mm, I will venture to say that, early in the game (in your path from Unclassified to B shooter) pretty much any gun in any caliber will serve you well. I will also say that, at least in my case, the reason why I have finally leaned towards shooting 9mm is the cost of the bullets. Since I reload my own ammo, if money was no option, I would probably shoot .40S&W for two reasons: 1)bigger hole on the target and, 2)less perceived recoil at low PF.

I will give you the same advice that was given to me by the wonderful members of this forum (advice that I foolishly resisted for a long time): just pick a gun and shoot it!! Practice with it until you are bored out of your skull and your hands are sore, and then practice some more. After a while you will have a good idea of where you need to go next and you can go ahead and choose that blaster that will take you to get your GM card.

Since you already reload for 10mm (and most 10mm dies will also allow you to load .40S&W), if I were you, that is where I would start. Find a load that will make about 130 to 140PF and shoot away. Either your P99 or your H&K are more than accurate for this game (but you also have to do your part and practice; like SAFriday's signature line reads: "Embrace the Suck").

Welcome to the forum and the "addiction" that is USPSA!

Cy

If buying a new gun get a 9mm. In a pinch most all factory loaded 9mm will make minor. If your wanting to shoot .40 because of your carry gun, more than likely you'll end up downloading it to minor power factor and then be paying more for components when you could have bought a 9mm.

As for production guns, basically I would show up to a match, or post here what match your going to be at, and ask to borrow some guns to try. We like letting others play with our toys!

Most dedicated Production shooters end up with a 9mm, but other than a slight premium in ammo/reloading costs, there is really no advantage of 9mm over 40. In your case, you may want to shoot the same gun that you carry on duty... both for cross-training, and to save some money. Also, when you go with a 40, you can always shoot it in Limited 10 at Major power factor as well... :cheers:

I went with an M&P Pro, but if they made it in .40 (a 5" Pro, that is), I would have gone that route. Why? I can easily get all the once-fired .40 brass I want and 9mm is much harder to come by since we have so few 9 shooters at work now.

So, if you happen to be in the same boat where you can get free .40 brass easily it will more than offset the somewhat higher cost of .40 bullets compared with 9. It'll also save you buying another set of dies (not a big deal, but every little bit helps these days). R,

For Production division...

The Glock is like Coke...dominant.

There is no Pepsi (yet). There are a lot of Dr. Peppers.

Yup.

To the original poster, since you're reloading 10mm you can reload .40 with the same reloading dies (usually). If you're shooting .40 in Production division, find a nice 135-140 PF load for your pistol. Shooting full power 175+ PF loads (factory .40 ammo) will hurt your scores. If you're not aware of this already, everyone shooting Production division is scored 'minor', even if they're firing full power 'major' loads in their pistol.

If you're unsure of what power factor (PF) means or the idea of minor vs major, do some looking around on the forums and you'll find the information needed. For the first few matches, none of the PF or major/minor stuff really matters, but if you like the game and you're looking to start buying a dedicated rig you should dig into the research and attempt to understand the angles. In Production, 9mm is usually an easier and cheaper route. Ask all the questions you want, but definitely let us know where you are in your experience and understanding so we can tailor the advice.

I really appreciate all of your advice. I believe that I am going to start with my P99 or Jericho. I can load 40 using the same dies as I use a Dillon 650, it should be an easy change. I'll just have to see how things progress. I didn't realize that everyone is scored minor in Production, so that opens up a whole new set of options. Anything else that I should know before I start is appreciated.

Jason

The most popular choices are the Glock, SA XD and S&W M&P. Personally I use a S&W 99 in 9mm and you should consider using a 9mm. However, if you already load for 10mm you can easilly adjust the seating and crimping dies and use the same setup for loading 40 S&W. The only cost difference will be in the greater cost of 40 cal. bullets.

I really appreciate all of your advice. I believe that I am going to start with my P99 or Jericho. I can load 40 using the same dies as I use a Dillon 650, it should be an easy change. I'll just have to see how things progress. I didn't realize that everyone is scored minor in Production, so that opens up a whole new set of options. Anything else that I should know before I start is appreciated.

Jason

Just read the rules so you understand the game, no matter how many your gun holds you can only load 10 rounds in the mag, there are rules to for where your holster and mag pouched go, you will need around 5 magazines with pouches. Thats all of the big ones not already discussed on this thread. Make sure what ever gun you use is on the approved preoduction list.