Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot lead for matches?

hawk45

That's all I shoot, I shoot indoors once a week the rest outdoors, its the only way I can afford to shoot as much as I do.

One match every Sunday(rain permits)practice on wed.

I shoot with a couple guys who shoot lead bullets over WST. They smoke like a factory but they have enough powder and bullets to last into the next ice age and are not about to let a little smoke bother them. We do have to wait a minute or two after they shoot till we can see the targets to score them, but what the heck.

I shot a 5 stage match yesterday. For the first 4 stages, I used jhp's but on the last stage I used cast bullets. I was shocked by the amount of smoke and had to go back on two targets for a third round. I lost 1-2 seconds because I wasn't ready for the smoke. I've shot lead for years and never had any real problems with it. What got me on that last stage was not being able to see what I was expecting to see because of the smoke.

EG

Nothing but lead...I don't use black powder so I have no trouble seeing my targets through the smoke.

I shot lead, jacketed, moly, and plated over the years and have gone to lead again to save money. If I were shooting an open gun I would use jacketed, but I'm not.

The only problems seem to be shooting through barrels or in shoot houses or early in the morning when it is really humid and the smoke just hangs there in front of you. Not bad unless it is a stand and shoot stage such as a classifier where you are firing quite a few rounds from one position.

AL

As others have said, lead can be smoky, but if used with the right powder you can minimize the smoke. Lots of people have been using Solo 1000 and it works real well with lead bullets. I have used it on 9mm 147gr, and some 180gr 40SW.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was the grease ring on plain lead bullets that made smoke. I bought a bunch of those and didn't change my load in 45 (clays) and it smokes quite a bit. I used to use moly coated and I never noticed enough smoke to get in my way while blasting through a stage. Now with the grease ring lead bullets i find my sights lost in a plume of smoke all the time. Whats the deal???

I thought it was the grease ring on plain lead bullets that made smoke. I bought a bunch of those and didn't change my load in 45 (clays) and it smokes quite a bit. I used to use moly coated and I never noticed enough smoke to get in my way while blasting through a stage. Now with the grease ring lead bullets i find my sights lost in a plume of smoke all the time. Whats the deal???

I love the lead smoke so much that I sprinkle some lead dust in my cigarettes......... :roflol:

as far as losing your sights in a plume of smoke, do what I do and close your eyes and then the smoke is not a problem :ph34r: