Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

magazine length

gunner40sw

So a SV 140mm mag with a Dawson snl would not pass probably. So if they are checked and they are to long what does that change. Are you moved to open?

Most SV 140 mags with an SNL will not fit the gauge without a little tweaking. Doesn't take much, but without a little working I have yet to see one that would fit. I wish they got checked more often, would make this EGW gauge worth the change spent on it.

Depends...I have never had mine checked anywhere. That is just me.

FWIW

Richard

PS: Been to 2 Nationals and several other bigger matches.

Is the mag measured full or empty?

Empty

The rulebook doesn't really list the condition of the mag when it is measured. Is it always measured empty?

Moved to open, if over 170 shooting for fun.

I have seen it a good bit around this area.

The rule may have changed but 170mm wasn't the max for Open before. It was 171.25 or 171.5 I believe. Has this changed?

Moved to open, if over 170 shooting for fun.

I have seen it a good bit around this area.

The rule may have changed but 170mm wasn't the max for Open before. It was 171.25 or 171.5 I believe. Has this changed?

The mag gauge made by EGW is made to 171.25 (I think) so USPSA has made that the official guage and thus the offficial length.

I have not seen a mag get shorter if it is empty rathar than loaded. The measurement is the the top of the mag not the round that is in it. That round will compress down into the mag while being checked.

I have one of the EGW gauges and use it for the Level III matches that I host. I think I am hosting The Infiinity Area 5 Championship this year? :surprise:

Carl

And I believe that a SS/Prod box will be on site.

Years ago, EGW was asked by USPSA to make an official "mag length gauge", and was told to make sure that all the combinations of tubes and base pads that were available at the time would fit this gauge. It was deemed necessary to make the gauge measure 171.25mm and 141.25mm, to allow for all the manufactures parts to be legal. As a manufacture, I received my official gauge, and because of this increase in length (1.5mm) over previous rules, I proceeded to make a longer base pad (4mm) to make it possible to fit the gauge exactly, compared to my 2.5mm pad. An exact fit to the gauge is worth some room inside the mag, but now you have to check the length with the combination of parts you choose. Once this gauge was used officially, the rule book was eventually changed to match what the gauge measured.

If you do get checked and your mag fails, ask to see how the gauge is being used. There is very little margin for most of the common setups and it is easy to mistakenly fail perfectly good mags if you dont have experience using the gauge. Ask me how I know? I once disputed a call and it was overturned later on for this very issue.

Not at all flex i am just getting new tubes and base pads and I just want to know what will work. So let me ask if I use a new SV 140 mm tube with a dawson base pad should that fit in the gauge? And what kind of spring and follower combos are people using and how many reloadable rounds can I expect.

Edited by gunner40sw

Years ago, EGW was asked by USPSA to make an official "mag length gauge", and was told to make sure that all the combinations of tubes and base pads that were available at the time would fit this gauge. It was deemed necessary to make the gauge measure 171.25mm and 141.25mm, to allow for all the manufactures parts to be legal. As a manufacture, I received my official gauge, and because of this increase in length (1.5mm) over previous rules, I proceeded to make a longer base pad (4mm) to make it possible to fit the gauge exactly, compared to my 2.5mm pad. An exact fit to the gauge is worth some room inside the mag, but now you have to check the length with the combination of parts you choose. Once this gauge was used officially, the rule book was eventually changed to match what the gauge measured.

Is EGW the only one making a "official gauge" ?

Is EGW the only one making a "official gauge" ?

yep