Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Enterprises Rifle for 3 Gun

I am going to be diving into the 3 gun world this summer and I want to start out with the right equipement the first time around. I have been looking at a lot of guns and the JP Enterprises equipement look really nice. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the JP gear first hand. I have had several people tell me that their triggers and compensators are second to none. What do you think about the complete JP-15 or CTR-02 rifles? Should I buy their entire gun or match their some of their components with someone elses. What other alternatives should I be looking at. I like the LarRue Tactical stuff as well. Any LaRue info would be welcome as well. Thanks.

JP's aren't bad. They're used as well as their parts are used by a "couple" of the top shooters. ;)

Seriously though...you'll be hard pressed to find better and JP is a hard core supporter of the sport.

Rich

As a complete package any JP gun is second to none period.....at any level.

You can definitely put together a very high performance gun if you watch the classifieds judiciously and make good purchases. Assemble it yourself and you can be ahead of the game with respect to cost.

Some will ask why a JP if you can put together a gun that performs as well at a lower price point. The answer is simply customer service. JP's Customer Service that is unreal. I sent an email at 8 this morning, got an email back at around 1pm answering all my questions and solving the problem. Sadly not very common these days. This has been the case every time I have dealt with JP.

Second to that JP supports this sport with generous donations to prize tables all year long. I try to give whatever business I can to those who support us.

Good luck, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

You can't go wrong with anything from JP or LaRue. If you have the money for a JP15 or CTR02 go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Which JP setup is best? As well as being new to the 3 Gun Competitions I am fairly new to the AR market. What accessories are must have and what are good "options" to add right away?

Hi Slammer,

I've been a big fan of JP Rifles for a long time. Have tried different configurations and liked them all. The specs on the upper I'm using now are:

JP-15 UPPER ASSEMBLY

.223 WYLDE, 18" MEDIUM CONTOUR, 1:8 TWIST

COMPENSATOR, JP TACTICAL, 1/2-28TPI, .875 OD, .281 EXIT, STAINLESS. SOF/TACTICAL/USPSA LIMITED LEGAL.

GAS BLOCK, JP ADJUSTABLE, .936 BORE, ALUMINUM FULL RIFLE LENGTH HAND GUARD

BOLT CARRIER, JP LOW MASS, 416 STAINLESS WITH QPQ. FEATURES DUST COVER NOTCH, BUT NO FORWARD ASSIST SERRATION.

MIL SPEC .223/.204 BOLT ASSEMBLY

Primary ammo has been the Fed. M193. The rifle likes Black Hills 69gn ammo too but the pocket book does not.

It's good that you ask questions before jumping into a purchase. There are a lot of available options however your decision to go with JP is not a bad one.

You can't go wrong with anything from JP or LaRue. If you have the money for a JP15 or CTR02 go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Which JP setup is best? As well as being new to the 3 Gun Competitions I am fairly new to the AR market. What accessories are must have and what are good "options" to add right away?

Honestly --- call JP. They'll be happy to talk to you, and they'll know what questions to ask. It will help if you have an idea of what's most important to you. They'll take that information and make a recommendation --- in my case it was to have an upper receiver built and to put their trigger in my existing lower, which saved me some money.....

That upper was built was built with a normal weight bolt carrier for instance, following our converaation --- because I stressed that I wasn't willing to forego even an ounce of reliability in the pursuit of performance. The rifle hasn't let me down yet, it's accurate and reliable.....

having a JP is like having a ferrari-it is a special piece of work (no disrespect for any other company). once you get a load it likes (and some are different), it is an unreal beast. first time i shot mine i was smiling for a couple of days.

Edited by outerlimits

You can't go wrong with JP stuff. I put a 20" JP-15 upper on my Rock River lower (it had a JP trigger put in earlier) and was punching groups around 1 inch at 200 yards using Black Hills 68gr. If I was to buy another I probably would go with the complete JP-15 rifle, 18" medium barrel and ACE stock. My advise is to order ASAP because there will be a wait.

Doug

If you are going with a JP rifle call them and discuss what you will be using it for. They will be happy to take all the time necessary to answer all your questions as well as make recommendations based on intended use. They are 100% customer oriented and great people to deal with.

I have nothing against JP & have seen several of their rifles. Very nice guns but I have a Firebird precision rifle & highly recommend before you order, give Jim a call. There are several great gunsmiths building great ARs but I love my Firebird.

I suggest you give Jim a call. He is a great guy & will work with you in a timely manner.

MLM

At any one time I was asked to shoot for the A,B,C, builders of AR-15s. I have two names on my shirt. It is not because I get "stuff", it is because they are the only ones I believe in! J.P. Enterprises and Triangle Shooting Sports, NO ONE else came even close for many years....BUT now I must add one more making it a Trifecta of Three Gun, and that is FireBird, Unfortunately I won't have it on My shirt, but those are the only 3 I would even consider...J.P. Triangle...Firebird. Kind of like Ferarri, Masarati, and Lambrogini! These are the top of all builders, Don't waist your time and money elsewhere! KurtM

JP makes top notch stuff. I run a JP15 lower w/ a home built upper. Having JP install the fire controls makes a huge difference. I have a RRA lower that I did the install on and you can tell the difference.

I'd run a CTR-02 if the budget allowed so if yours does, do not hesitate. Buy one.

At any one time I was asked to shoot for the A,B,C, builders of AR-15s. I have two names on my shirt. It is not because I get "stuff", it is because they are the only ones I believe in! J.P. Enterprises and Triangle Shooting Sports, NO ONE else came even close for many years....BUT now I must add one more making it a Trifecta of Three Gun, and that is FireBird, Unfortunately I won't have it on My shirt, but those are the only 3 I would even consider...J.P. Triangle...Firebird. Kind of like Ferarri, Masarati, and Lambrogini! These are the top of all builders, Don't waist your time and money elsewhere! KurtM

Jim's got to hear this. His stuff being compared to Italian cars. I think Jim needs more spaghetti in his life. :P

Best of both worlds. Firebird with JP guts.

I am humbled by the comments here.

I did design the Firebird in the 1980s...never built it until last year.

We used JP CTR02s when we started shooting again..and they are top shelf stuff!!! but I was just driven to build my own rifles.

I think the world Of John and have great respect for Benny as well.

You can see the following they have....because they have earned it :cheers:

Jim

And so now I have a Firebird lwr and upper built at Triangle with a Rolling Thunder comp and full of JP parts. Some times stuff just comes out right. I like it.--------------Larry

Alright, this sounds like the perfect rifle .. PICS ??

And so now I have a Firebird lwr and upper built at Triangle with a Rolling Thunder comp and full of JP parts. Some times stuff just comes out right. I like it.--------------Larry

Alright, this sounds like the perfect rifle .. PICS ??

I got a rifle, no camera, if Merlin ever showes up I will see if we can get a few.-------------Larry

I love my JP barrel, 18" mid contour, JP gas block, Cooley brake. DMPS upper receiver, standard bolt.

Just put a Burris XTR 1-4 on it, went to range.

Best group at 300 yds. .770", Black Hills 77gr. Blue Box.

2 other groups were at 1.25". Needless to say, I am very, very happy.

Black Hill 68gr Blue Box were about 2-2 1/4".

Now to just work up my reloads to match.

JP upper with lightweight stainless BC, 18"-20" you choice I like midweight. The CTR02 looks nice but the mil speck upper shoots the same.

Mil speck lower with the stock of your choice. I like Magpuls, with the Magpul trigger guard.

The new AR Gold trigger is sweet. I like my new one better than all my JP's.

The nicest things I like about JP and are musts on my "competition" rifles are V-Tac float tube and lightweight Stainless steel bolt carriers. there are lots of good comps and barrels.

I even built an 18" upper using a shortened 20" M16 government profile barrel, V-Tac tube and LWSS carrier with a mckulic comp and it runs head to head with my CTR02 on fast stuff, but is only 1.5 MOA vs my JP's at 1/2 MOA.

Forgot you need an adjustable gas block, the JP is great but several others work.

Edited by blkbrd