Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Primer Shortage of 2009

ap3

I was curious as to how long this panic buying was going to last and I found this on another forum from a fellow that had ask the manufacturing companies what was going on. It was interesting so I thought I would post it here

As I'm sure you're all aware primers are impossible to find. Anyway, I figured I'd ask the "horse's mouth" and see what the manufactures have to say about the shortage. I e-mailed Wolf, CCI, Federal, and Winchester and asked what's up with the shortage of primers. I tried to e-mail Remington too but they have taken their e-mail contact page down, (maybe getting too many questions?) Anyway, I got three quick responses from the four:

Wolf:

Quote:

All of our distributors are out of stock right now on our primers and probably will be for a while; we have been and will continue to send out shipments to them. The next primer shipment will be going out to our distributors in June. The demand is so great that they are trying to fulfill all their back orders. If you can find one, we recommend placing yourself on a back order list in order to try and receive some.

Below is a list of all the distributors who carry our primers. Please contact them directly to find out pricing and availability:

Widener's Reloading

Johnson City, TN 37601

423-282-6786

Midway USA

Columbia, MO 65203

800-243-3220

MidwayUSA — Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes

Graf & Sons

Mexico, MO 65265

800-531-2666

Powder Valley, Inc.

Winfield, KS 67156

620-229-8685

Sincerely,

WOLF Ammunition

Winchester:

Quote:

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us here at Winchester Ammunition. We are always glad to hear from our many friends and customers who share in the shooting sport.

Since last November we have been working 7 days a week, 24 hours a day making and shipping ammunition and components. However, in spite of our best efforts we can' make enough to fill what seems like an insatiable demand for ammunition and primers. As long as the extraordinary demand continues we will continue to have shortages. When this might end is impossible to guess.

Thank you again for contacting us here at Winchester Ammunition. If you should require additional information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Winchester Technical Department

Federal:

Quote:

We've seen unprecedented demand for certain calibers of ammunition and the primers that charge them over the past several years. We've added capacity to meet the increasing demand and are fulfilling backorders.

Brian, after this year you could probably sell T-Shirts for IPSC shooter that said "I survived the primer shortage of 2009" :roflol::o

Edited by ap3

There is no primer shortage........just a bad case of select, grossly over-stocked, household basement inventories. :roflol:

Actual primers consumed (fired) yr-over-yr comparison, is only slightly increased - I am guessing.

Some of you guys out there have the mother-of-all primer stash's - as in 5 to 10 years worth of personal use levels. Soon you will only be competing amoung yourselves at matches.

If primer demand anticipation were an IPSC stage, I guess I really blew it.

BB

Hello: I think all of the small pistol primers are being used to make 380 ammo. The stores around here have been out of 380 ammo since January. It seems alot of people are getting there CHL's and buying 380's to do that along with the ammo. I can also understand the manufacturers are not making new tooling or buying more machines to supply the current demand or even hiring more people to run them. They know in 6 months they will get caught up. I have seen people here in Texas just buying stuff just to have it even if they don't need it. I hope those people get stuck with there supplies and will sell it at a loss. Why do people buy ammo that they don't even own a gun for? My rant is over. Thanks, Eric

Why do people buy ammo that they don't even own a gun for? My rant is over. Thanks, Eric

I just got a crapload of 5.45x39 delivered today, I don't have a gun for it yet but have an upper backordered. I bought it because the ammo was $149 for 1080rds. I doubt I'll see it much cheaper than that. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Maybe I'm living in the wrong place, but I'm not seeing the primer shortage others are. Taking a little different approach searching them out, forget the online method....found all mine at local big box stores, Cabela's, Scheels, Gander Mountain, and Mom & Pop shops. I could post a pic of them but it would probably get people all worked up.

I can get primers for $33 per thousand.

Way too high, but I can get them.

I am glad I had been replacing what I used out of my inventory, but at the same time I haven't shot very much since the 2008 Area 3 because of my own income has dropped.

Should have been "buying cheap and storing deep" after the 1994 primer shortage!

FM

Not much of a shortage in my area as people seem to be buying in line with their actual shooting level plus primers keep coming in. The local store just got in a large shipment of both large and small pistol primers along with a pallet of 223 ammo. I don't know where they got them but they dropped the primer price from $35/1000 to $30/1000 and raised the limit to five per customer.

Most of us in my area are shall we say "fully vested" on components. Some may call that hoarding, etc. but when we where buying components last September the vendors at local gun shows were leaving town with much of their inventory unsold. We're not contributing to the panic as we simply aren't buying anything nor do we have anything ordered.

Each time at the range I now dedicate my first magazine of the day to those without components or ammunition.

found all mine at local big box stores, Cabela's, Scheels, Gander Mountain, and Mom & Pop shops.

I guess I am not so luck down here in TX. I have been to Cabela's and Gander Mountain and neither of them have any primers. They also can not tell me when they will be getting anymore. I still have some primers, but I am sure I will need some pretty soon.

There is no primer shortage........just a bad case of select, grossly over-stocked, household basement inventories. :roflol:

Could be. Talking to a local dealer who carried components, he said his last shipment didn't even get uncrated before someone walked in and bought out the supply. :angry2:

I'm running a test to see how fast I can actually get Winchester Primers in bulk. I found a supplier who claims a 2-3 week backorder. I've ordered 10k and I'm curious to see how long it actually takes.

I'll be back in 2 - 3 weeks!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128766753

I hope no harm comes to people who sell factory ammo for $660 a 1000 and that they don't choke on it.

Over a buck a round for WWB. I do hope that none of the profiteers choke on their supper. They need to chew their food very carefully. Some dumb b@$tard will probably buy them.

We do need T shirts "I survived the great primer famine of 2009".

I'm running a test to see how fast I can actually get Winchester Primers in bulk. I found a supplier who claims a 2-3 week backorder. I've ordered 10k and I'm curious to see how long it actually takes.

And so why haven't you PM'd me this suppliers info yet??? :angry2: J/K

Angel

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128786456

I hope no harm comes to people who sell factory ammo for $660 a 1000 or 5000 primers for $739 and that they don't choke on it.

WOW, thats starting price!!!!! If some people got in a bidding war and was willing to pay it, well,,,, whatever,,,,,,,,,,,,, but to START at 699 for 5k. Words can not express all the goods things I feel for this DASSOB

Can't wait for the e-mail back from this seller, maybe a whole new thread.

Edited by WDB

Believe me.......those prices are not sustainable in the long run any more than oil at $150/barrel.

But these manias often last much longer than one would expect or hope for.........tulip bulbs, oil, Kali realestate, tech stock in late 90's, or U.S. treasuries (current mania), etc.

I am just trying to find ways to focus my practice sessions toward maximum results with minimum ammo input.......something thats is hard to do for a serial indiscriminante blaster such as myself.

Just to make a point, somebody should put up a GunBroker listing for primers at 3X the current most rediculous offering.....or would that just fan the flames further?

BB

Edited by BlackBuzzard

I've watched these threads for a while now and I thought I'd add my 3 cents worth. I made the decision several years ago to buy a LOT of primers and I mean a lot. I'll not say how many but I'm fairly well set for the future. I started doing the same with powder and bullets. I'm glad I did now. At the time it was a economic hardship but I kinda saw what was coming. It makes me sick to see what these "friends", dealers are charging for components and ammo. I could understand it if they were having to pay 100% more from a distributor but we know that's not true. I shoot a lot but I'll be candid in that I've started being more selective in the matches I shoot. I'll no longer just go shoot to have something to do. I'm not sure what will happen in the future but I hope things settle down in the next year.

I've looked on here about folks using the word hoarder as if components were some sort of right and that we all ought to share. It's not. If you only buy a few K a yr then those that are a little more serious about shooting will buy all they can, while they can. It's simple economics. Also I think that anybody that pays 500 for 5K of primers, 50 bucks a hundred for WWB 9mm is actually contributing to the problem. Yes, we all want ammo but some common sense ought to be used.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128786456

I hope no harm comes to people who sell factory ammo for $660 a 1000 or 5000 primers for $739 and that they don't choke on it.

Personaly I don't have a problem with people trying to sell thier stock for "outlandish" prices. It is what our economy is based upon (not so good right now) "supply and demand! How come no one has a problem with investors buying stocks and bonds low and selling high??? Try to buy a Prius for close to retail!!! Every commodity is traded with the idea that it will eventually be worth more than it was when you bought it!

Also, take a look at where this gents from....I bet they have a whole new outlook on hoarding ammo and components after the Katrina disaster. What with protecting ones own from bad people.......and bad government!!!

Edited by Rockchucker

10k ? seams hardly worth the hassle, I think I have that many behind the cushions of the sofa.

Actually I'm glad I am kinda cheap, last fall I ordered 70lbs of small pistol, which was the max you can get under one hazmat fee. I think I paid about 18 per k and I am glad I did now. and nope they are not for sale.

What hassle? I ordered them and they'll show up, or they won't.

I already have more than enough (I saw the writing on the wall last year and bought enough for a good while), so this is just to satisfy my curiosity. I have already offered to sell them to friends that are short for my cost.... I just want to see how hard they are to get.

Hello: I think all of the small pistol primers are being used to make 380 ammo. The stores around here have been out of 380 ammo since January. It seems alot of people are getting there CHL's and buying 380's to do that along with the ammo. I can also understand the manufacturers are not making new tooling or buying more machines to supply the current demand or even hiring more people to run them. They know in 6 months they will get caught up. I have seen people here in Texas just buying stuff just to have it even if they don't need it. I hope those people get stuck with there supplies and will sell it at a loss. Why do people buy ammo that they don't even own a gun for? My rant is over. Thanks, Eric

+1, Well said!!!

My girlfriend who works for UPS told me that there were several hundred thousand primers on the belt yesterday in the Portland, Oregon area. One person received 40,000 SPP alone from Georgia Arms. I can only assume other hubs are starting to see the same.

My girlfriend who works for UPS told me that there were several hundred thousand primers on the belt yesterday in the Portland, Oregon area. One person received 40,000 SPP alone from Georgia Arms. I can only assume other hubs are starting to see the same.

Thanks for the update. We may hve to change this thread to "Primer Watch"

• 2 weeks later...
I was curious as to how long this panic buying was going to last and I found this on another forum from a fellow that had ask the manufacturing companies what was going on. It was interesting so I thought I would post it here

As I'm sure you're all aware primers are impossible to find. Anyway, I figured I'd ask the "horse's mouth" and see what the manufactures have to say about the shortage. I e-mailed Wolf, CCI, Federal, and Winchester and asked what's up with the shortage of primers. I tried to e-mail Remington too but they have taken their e-mail contact page down, (maybe getting too many questions?) Anyway, I got three quick responses from the four:

Wolf:

Quote:

All of our distributors are out of stock right now on our primers and probably will be for a while; we have been and will continue to send out shipments to them. The next primer shipment will be going out to our distributors in June. The demand is so great that they are trying to fulfill all their back orders. If you can find one, we recommend placing yourself on a back order list in order to try and receive some.

Below is a list of all the distributors who carry our primers. Please contact them directly to find out pricing and availability:

Widener's Reloading

Johnson City, TN 37601

423-282-6786

Midway USA

Columbia, MO 65203

800-243-3220

MidwayUSA — Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes

Graf & Sons

Mexico, MO 65265

800-531-2666

Powder Valley, Inc.

Winfield, KS 67156

620-229-8685

Sincerely,

WOLF Ammunition

Winchester:

Quote:

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us here at Winchester Ammunition. We are always glad to hear from our many friends and customers who share in the shooting sport.

Since last November we have been working 7 days a week, 24 hours a day making and shipping ammunition and components. However, in spite of our best efforts we can' make enough to fill what seems like an insatiable demand for ammunition and primers. As long as the extraordinary demand continues we will continue to have shortages. When this might end is impossible to guess.

Thank you again for contacting us here at Winchester Ammunition. If you should require additional information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Winchester Technical Department

Federal:

Quote:

We've seen unprecedented demand for certain calibers of ammunition and the primers that charge them over the past several years. We've added capacity to meet the increasing demand and are fulfilling backorders.

Brian, after this year you could probably sell T-Shirts for IPSC shooter that said "I survived the primer shortage of 2009" :roflol::o

sure hope they show up soon :unsure: