Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is a sleeve of primers worth to you?

I bought a bunch of primers over the past few years and then have had to cut down my shooting a bunch do to illness.

A few guys asked if I'd sell them a sleave or two today and what I'd charge so I calculated what they originally cost me including shipping and hasmat fee. I feel bad doing that but I had to pay those fees to get the primers in the first place.

Other that that I'm not adding anything to make a profit. Would you consder it bad karmaor proper ethics.

I wish I would have bought more than 5000 at a time I could have saved a lot on those fees.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can't ship primers unless you have the proper certification/paperwork, etc.

Having said that, I just paid 35/K and consider myself lucky.

I can't say it is bad form to get what you paid. Matter of fact if it is less than going rate, I'd say that would be great. If it is the same I would say that is good form too as they aren't waiting now are they.

My .02

I bought a bunch of primers over the past few years and then have had to cut down my shooting a bunch do to illness.

A few guys asked if I'd sell them a sleave or two today and what I'd charge so I calculated what they originally cost me including shipping and hasmat fee. I feel bad doing that but I had to pay those fees to get the primers in the first place.

Other that that I'm not adding anything to make a profit. Would you consder it bad karmaor proper ethics.

I wish I would have bought more than 5000 at a time I could have saved a lot on those fees.

Personally I don't see it as bad form. You paid it and you are only getting your money out of it. You're not profiting off of your friends.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can't ship primers unless you have the proper certification/paperwork, etc.

Having said that, I just paid 35/K and consider myself lucky.

Just ship it ORM-D. You can ship ammo and it has primers in it.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

I was being serious but now I'm 2nd guessing myself. I would ASSUME that ORM-D would work since this is how you ship ammo but I am assuming. I better quit thread drifting and I'll ask someone more knowledgable than me. He isn't shipping it anyway. He is just saying he's adding the shipping that he paid.

Sorry for the thread drift Steve.

Edited by jasmap

I don't see a problem with selling them for what you have in them including any fees unless you want to make back your hazmat fees on every guy you sell too. I personally would feel comfortable selling them for what they are selling for now at reputable distributors plus a small hazmat recovery fee.

I'm thinking that if you're likely to use them in the future, it would be perfectly ethical to charge what they'd cost you to replace --- at some point in the future.....

IOW, I'd be thinking that the price would ~$40/K......

Now, if you're permanently out of shooting, and are in a good financial situation, then by all means sell them for your cost. But if you're doing it just to help friends out of a jam, and will have to replace the primers later, either get paid the going rate, or insist on getting the primers replaced at some future point....

I would recommend at least what you paid or half the distance of what you paid and the going rate would be plenty ethical. I just wish I was one of the local buddies you are referring to! :)

I have a somewhat comfortable supply of primers and a couple of my shooting buddies that are running low.

If they need primers to continue shooting, I'll loan them some and they can replace them when the supply gets better.

For me, I'd rather do it that way than sell if it's a friend.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

I was being serious but now I'm 2nd guessing myself. I would ASSUME that ORM-D would work since this is how you ship ammo but I am assuming. I better quit thread drifting and I'll ask someone more knowledgable than me. He isn't shipping it anyway. He is just saying he's adding the shipping that he paid.

Sorry for the thread drift Steve.

Ammo yes

Primers no

You must have a haz mat to ship primers

It's kind of difficult to calculate the cost because of shipping and hazmat. But the price on Midway for WinSP is $30/1000. Figure two cases would be $300 + $30 shipping and you are looking at $33/1000. I don't believe I would ask anything less than that even of a friend.

Steve, pretty simple. You are doing your friends a favor and they know it.....They also know you are not going to hose them.

Sell them for what you have in them at a MINIMUM( no problem with adding money on for storage and interest....LOL) and sleep well tonight.....

DougC

Selling them for what you have in them including shipping and hazmat is totally fine... if you want to sell them. Right now I will not sell primers but I won't see my friends go without if I can help it. What I am doing is loaning/lending. I have a couple spare cases that I've lent to friends with the understanding that they get replaced. Truth be told, how do you price them? If you will need to replace them I'm willing to bet that it will cost you more than what you paid for them. There's no reason to hurt yourself financially to help a friend and if they'd expect you to... they aren't your friends.

Please let me know what you are asking for them. I'm trying to start reloading and live in Northeastern Arizona but make it

down to the valley every now and then.

First, I'll pray for your health challenge.

Not to drift into ethical debate but since November there has been an ongoing battle over ethical sales of high demand items. I admit, at first, I flamed anyone trying to make a big profit based on the state of affairs. Then the big dealers joined in and it became the norm. $50 pmags, 1500 crappy ARs, $300 sleeves of primers, etc, etc.

I blamed the new govt, I blamed greedy individuals, I blamed the media. You know what? It is just simple economics and there is nothing anyone can do about it. What is something worth? The answer is: Whatever someone is willing to pay for it. What is the right thing to do? That is between you and that voice in your head. Karma is BS, there are plenty of scumbags doing just fine.

Sorry for the rant I just had M&Ms and Pepsi.

All of the places that were selling for less than $30/thousand are now up to $35-$40 per thousand or far more.

$35/k is certainly reasonable at the current time no matter what you paid for them in the past.

Depends on what spec and make they are.

Winchester are fetching the best price, although the other makes are not far behind.

There have been a few factory batches LP, LR & SP recently so i would say $40 to a friend or $50 open market.

If they are SR add $10 to each.

My 2c worth.

~Mike

PS - I'm paying $35.90 + tax for win primers right now off the shelf (no i'm not telling).

You generally need to have a Hazmat shipping contract with the common carrier. Unlike ORM-D, you can't just take the package to the UPS depot, declare it, and ship it. One person in the chemical business I shot with told me the UPS hazmat contract was absolutely terrible from a shipper's point of view as it obligated the shipper (not UPS) to pay all cost of any hazmat incident or cleanup regardless of fault.

It's interesting that someone selling a house for what they can get isn't doing anything wrong, but someone doing the same with primers is ripping people off :). It may be bad business to engage in opportunistic pricing if you have regular customers (the local gun ship I frequent refuses to gouge on scarce items, since the customers have a tendency to remember how they are treated), but someone who has no interest in repeat business or a reputation as a low cost supplier is accomplishing nothing other than giving money away if they sell product below market.