Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Mother of all Primer Shortage Thread

Checked Powder Valley's website today and found this: "We currently have over 50 million primers on backorder." I do have some small pistol primers on backorder with them but looks like I won't be seeing any from Powder Valley in a long, long, long time!!! Guess I need to start looking elsewhere. I received a notification from Midway yesterday that they got some Federal Small Pistol primers in but they were gone by the time I read the email and went to the website. It really doesn't look like this primer shortage is ever going to end.

I received a Cabella's order from mid-February today for 5k small primers. An e-mail also about lg pistol primer portion still on back order with a late June date on availability and to contact them if i still want this order.

At this time we are not taking any new backorders for primers that are not listed here. We currently have over 50 million primers on backorder. If you currently have a backorder in place your order will be processed as primers become available. Once we begin receiving more primers from the manufacturers and are able to begin filling current backorders we will update the website.

:surprise:

powder valley is not longer taking back orders on primers.

At least, they are going to fill the current back orders. :cheers: Although, that might be 6 months. :(

Stay Safe,

A.T.

Glad I got a back order in. I have enough primers to last about a year and a half at my current rate of consumption (8K rounds/year.) But I might be getting laid off in a few months, and that could get wiped out very quickly.

This has got to be affecting the hardware side too eventually......

Personally I have postponed taking my game into 9mm major and decided NO new custom open pistol.

Unless and until I see primers available again why burn the $$ on a pistol only to be severely restricted by primers?

Am I the only one thinking this way?

BB

I just laid out $3800 on an Open gun in .38SC. I can't use factory ammo, even if it was available. I have about 4000 primers right now, so I am going to be saving those for matches. I can see a lot of dry fire practice in my future for the next several months.

Maybe Armscor or Wolf will step up production....

I've been wondering about the other companies myself. To my knowledge Remington doesn't have any military contracts, Wolf primers come in on a boat and I'd guess Magtech and Fiocci do also. Where are they at? Is it just everyone sucking up anything they can gets their hands on?

I wonder how companies like Atlanta Arms, Black Hills, etc are getting by as I don't think any of them make their own primers.

I just laid out $3800 on an Open gun in .38SC. I can't use factory ammo, even if it was available.

Atlanta Arms 38SC major won't work/make PF in your gun? It was about 173PF through my Bedell shorty as I recall....super accurate sub-5 SD when I chrono'd it. R,

I just laid out $3800 on an Open gun in .38SC. I can't use factory ammo, even if it was available. I have about 4000 primers right now, so I am going to be saving those for matches. I can see a lot of dry fire practice in my future for the next several months.

Good point.I was wondering where Wolf,Armscor,and Magtech were on this deal.As far as how this all factors into my competition shooting?Well,I figure I'll just shoot until I'm out of primers,and then I'll just go fishing.I haven't noticed a shortage of 'crawlers or minnows.-Mike

Where are they at?

Quote from link: http://www.shootingwire.com/

"And we've received several inquiries from readers asking if other areas are experiencing a component shortage when it comes to ammunition reloading. We've made a few phone calls, and it seems there is a shortage of primers across the country.

Industry leaders tell us there's no conspiracy to keep primers off the market, but loaded ammunition demands are sucking up what has normally been an adequate supply. As there aren't terrific numbers of primer manufacturers domestically, efforts are being made to import primers to meet the demand. Quantities of those, we've been told, are being delayed on the docks by United States Customs.

We'll keep following the primer situation and keep you posted."

Atlanta Arms 38SC major won't work/make PF in your gun? It was about 173PF through my Bedell shorty as I recall....super accurate sub-5 SD when I chrono'd it. R

I don't know, I haven't tried it. To be honest, I didn't know about it until I saw your post. I sent an email to try and order some. Apparently you can't order online from them.

I must have missed them... I see Out of Stock on everything. Not that I have any money to buy them anyway. :unsure:

No, they are stil available. Fed Small Pistol Pimers, the only item with a quantity selector on the right side.

Thanks Vegas!

Ordered 2,000 too, I am down to my last 2,000 small. Guess I have been asleep & didnt notice the extra sleeve of primers I had remaining were large pistol. Last month I bought the last 4,000 small rifle remaining at my local shop. Who is going to start the rubber band gun matches?

Edited by Tony