Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2010?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is lunch available somewhere close? or are we brown bagging it?

To the best of my memory the local 4-H/FFA club or some other youth organization has had Hamburgers, salads, and such the past several years... usually really decent food and very reasonable priced.

What's the best way to get to the range from the Orlando airport?  I'm assuming the directions on the Academy web site are right (Florida Turnpike) by Streets and Trips recommends taking Interstate 4 to Hwy 27.  It shows it to be about 20 minutes quicker.  

So, who has walked the stages today? What are they like this year? Lots of memorizing like usual? First year I haven't come down in about 6 years, I am really missing it right about now. It would be great if shooters could post some videos so we who can't be there can pretend!

I'm about to head out to drive up, about 2.5 hours, just to watch. Hoping that I don't miss everything arriving at 3. If anyone knows for sure that I'm going to waste a trip, shoot me an email at rob AT tacticalyellowvisor DOT net.

If anyone is reading this that will be there, keep an eye out for the yellow visor and say hello (or throw rocks if that's your preference).

Just wanted to say thanks to Frank Garcia, the CRO's, and to all the people who put on this great match. This was my first time there and I will definately return. The stage designs were very challenging (especially #2). I would also like to thanks to squad 8, they were a bunch of great competitors and hope to see them on the range in the future.

Edited by CPUFIXER

I shot my first Florida Open friday with the remnants of the previous days' stomach bug still making me miserable. Thinking that I could just show up and wing it was my first mistake.

The Florida Open is the most technically difficult match I've ever shot. I'd hazard that of the 10 stages/ 312 rounds, fewer than 25 targets were under 15 yards. There were a TON of shots at 30+ yards including a mini popper and plates at that distance. If that doesn't expose great big glaring holes in your game, you're a great shot.

Having had the privilege of being squadded with Shannon Smith and some of his buddies, I saw how good the stages could be run. The speed, efficiency and accuracy were astounding and I learned a lot just by osmosis. Thanks Smitty!

Meanwhile, I've shot a number of majors in the last 2 years including 2 A8s, 2 VA/MD sections, 2 NC sections, GA state to name a few. The Florida Open offered a substantially different challenge with ALMOST no reliance on gimmicks (Stage 2 was the exception to that statement). I didn't realize that they utilized the classic target only and found that to be a substantial challenge all by itself. 2 A on a classic at 25 yards is beyond my current capabilities.

I will post some videos, but I offer this... to the guys that did well at this match, you are GREAT shooters. Your technical skills are outstanding and I'm humbled by your greatness!

S.

Thanks to Frank Garcia, and all the RO's & Staff of the Florida Open. Great match. Great stages. They really put on a great show. I'll be back again. I shot here 4 or 5 years ago and had a great time then too.

Update please?

Who won? and How did that sandbagging Sam Keen do? LOL

Wadette and crew will likely be at the range late and may not get the match results out tonight. As soon as they are out they will be up on the Florida Open website.

I saw the stage results and did not see any division with a walk away winner. Every division that I saw had multiple stage winners and folks all over the sheets.

The folks that built the stages did a great job and the stages were completely different from those in previous years. The chrono was the only thing carried over.

Stage 2 was very creative ... can't wait to take a gallon of gasoline and a match to it, to make sure that it is never seen again. The question was: "So you think you can Dance & Shoot?" ... for me the answer was clearly NO!

Thanks to Frank Garcia, and all the RO's & Staff of the Florida Open. Great match. Great stages. They really put on a great show. I'll be back again. I shot here 4 or 5 years ago and had a great time then too.

Chris won Limited Master! Congrats bro!