Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quietest - Effective Muzzle Brake?

5Shot

I figured this was the place to ask - I need a muzzle brake for my AR, but it does double duty as a hunting gun (Mostly Predator).

When hunting, ear protection isn't always practical, so I want one that isn't going to blow out my ear drums (of course there won't be any long strings of fire).

Any help would be appreciated.

5Shot

Edited by 5Shot

I switched from a Miculek to a Nordic just because the Miculek was far too loud. The Nordic isn't bad at all. Unfortunately, the way comps work makes them inherently louder. I don't see how one can get much quieter than the Nordic, and for $40, it's not going to break the bank to see for yourself.

I'll follow this thread with interest. I have the Benny Cooley JP Comp an it works great and is loud as hell. I now have custom ear plugs and wear electronic muffs over those. I should have invested in custom fit plugs a long time ago. This was the best money I've spent on accessories this year. Sorry for the drift.

I figured this was the place to ask - I need a muzzle brake for my AR, but it does double duty as a hunting gun (Mostly Predator).

When hunting, ear protection isn't always practical, so I want one that isn't going to blow out my ear drums (of course there won't be any long strings of fire).

Any help would be appreciated.

5Shot

None of them are going to be quiet enough to save your hearing. You could wear an ear plug in the ear that is closest to the chamber and muzzle. That way you don't blow out both ears.

I'll follow this thread with interest. I have the Benny Cooley JP Comp an it works great and is loud as hell. I now have custom ear plugs and wear electronic muffs over those. I should have invested in custom fit plugs a long time ago. This was the best money I've spent on accessories this year. Sorry for the drift.

You're forgiven. :cheers:

I don't think that's too much of a drift, though. If a person can use more effective hearing protection instead of using a less effective comp, that's an option. I only use plugs when shooting long guns because the way I mount the gun interfers with muffs, or rather the muffs interfer with my gun mount. Anyway, I may need to investigate custom plugs. Lately I've been trying these: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=453211

They are ok in noise reduction, and allow hearing range commands. But, I may have to opt for more noise reduction to keep my tinitus from getting worse.

Brownells is selling a comp that directs all the gas forward. I don't know how effective it is but it should push the noise away. You might do a search for compensators at brownells. I don't know the brand.

MLM

Slight thread drift: Try some Surefire Sonic Defender ear plugs, I have been using them for a couple of years now. They allow normal conversation and block most of the loud stuff. Most of the time I leave the range with them still in because they are not that noticeable and realise it going down the road. I don't hunt anymore, but they probaly would let you hear animals walking. They are great for long guns and pistols outside, I often double up with muffs for inside shooting.

If you are going to shoot a comped rifle out the window of a shooting house, only the first shot is going to be loud, the ringing will drown out the followup shots :wacko:

Hurley

Noveske's Pig Brake seems to accomplish what you're looking for, reduced noise and some compensation. I have SureFire, Cooley and and SJC Titan. If you get time to make it out to the range for one of our matches, I'll bring them and you can try for yourself.

And for the guys suggesting suppressors, that's just mean. 5Shot is silly enough to live in Washington where he can own a can, he just can't shoot it.

+1 for taking the comp off for coyotes.

Did that for years with my CTR-02 and the cooley brake. But finally, after making the Nordic Comp I put it on my CTR-02 and red loctite'd it on. It's there to stay......for now.

• 10 months later...

Assume that noise reduction is the main goal, and leave suppressors and all the paperwork that goes with them off the table. One place where I (can) shoot has issues with noise and rifle compensators are discouraged. I have no problem taking mine off and putting on a thread protector, but I have to think that there must be a better solution.

I've looked at the DPMS Levang comp which, in theory, should direct more of the noise forwards (which is OK). But reviews as to effectiveness seem to be mixed.

Then there is the Noveske KX3 which looks huge and mainly intended for short carbines and are probably as close to being a suppressor as you can get without being one. And the price is pretty steep.

Some companies have long (5") flash hiders which would seem to also be intended to be some kind of legal suppressor.

So, any suggestions as to what might work best without breaking into the piggy bank?