Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI aluminum grip

bulm540

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe the cost of this part would deter some from buying this. Most shooters will spend hundreds of dollars chasing after tuned mags that will hold one more round. Metal grips on the modular frame guns will make it a better shooting and handling gun. As a side note I'd buy the SV grip before the STI grip, the SV is engineered better.

Rich

I can't believe the cost of this part would deter some from buying this. Most shooters will spend hundreds of dollars chasing after tuned mags that will hold one more round.

Well, I sure don't - I tune my own tubes because I'm to cheap. I'd change your wording to say SOME shooters..... I'd guess if you took a survey of all the S_I shooters (all of them, not just top competitors), I'd wager MOST do not used tuned tubes that costs hundreds of dollars.

And $400 for a grip - vs. $100 for a plastic one, well thats up each to decide on. I'm convinced that the plastic frame softens and absorbs some of the recoil impulse of an STI. A metal one will be just like shooting a Para or Caspian (well, balanced different, but similar). Fine, if you like that sort of thing. Of course, these are just my opinions, I could be wrong ;)

One aspect of SV's aluminum grip line that I really like is that there are options for size, shape, etc. I was hoping that STI would do something similar...

Still not so sure about the increased weight though - anyone know how much heavier they are than the polymer equivalent?

I have the small size aluminium grip on my S.V. and love it. When I had the alloy grip fitted I weighed both the grips and the aluminium was only 9 grams heavier. Sorry but I dont know what that is in ounces.

9 grams heavier isn't bad... that's less than 1/3 of an ounce. Personally, I'd be interested in the version with the "enhanced" shape (the one that's sort of like a CZ grip) if that's about the same weight too.

I would think and hope that they would be less prone to cracking. I don't mind the price if I could be assured it won't crack when I go the 30 + 1 route at a major match.

Mine haven't been cracking with 30 or 31 in the mag in Open or 20 or 21 in the mag in Limited. Granted, I only got max capacity when I need/want it, but still it hasn't been a problem. Eventually they may crack, but it seems like it's going to be a while and a $100 grip every couple of years isn't a big deal to me when I can get them to feel exactly the way I like rather than have to spend $400 and then put the belt sander/Dremel to it (which may make them more prone to cracking as well. R,

I really don't see either company bringing these out to compete with their plastic grips. They are giving folks an option for an alloy grip to get a feel they are after. They are just giving us more options, not trying to force anyones hand (pun intended) to one grip or the other. If you don't like the price then it isn't for you and I am sure SV or STI would be happy to keep selling you 4 plastic grips for every 1 alloy grip that goes out. Good to see innovation is all. :D

Isaac

I really don't see either company bringing these out to compete with their plastic grips. They are giving folks an option for an alloy grip to get a feel they are after. They are just giving us more options, not trying to force anyones hand (pun intended) to one grip or the other. If you don't like the price then it isn't for you and I am sure SV or STI would be happy to keep selling you 4 plastic grips for every 1 alloy grip that goes out. Good to see innovation is all. :D

Isaac

+1 - options are good, and I appreciate the continuing development of new products.

I guess my concern is along XRe's lines. Is it an "improvement"? I honestly have no idea. If the weight is within a 1/2 oz, it feels pretty much the same in the hand, if my dot tracks the same, if recoil feels the same, if my mags drop clean in plastic, then it would come down to aesthetics or simply the fact that I think real guns are made of metal. I will spend quite a bit of money on something I think will improve my game (Don't ask how many different types of red dots I have in my closet) but I guess I will need to wait a bit to get some more hands on reviews of how this grip works for folks before I will consider putting this on the must try list.

Define "better" in a way that is not subjective.

SVI is available in carbon steel; stainless or aluminum; STI appear to be available in aluminum only. I'll leave it to others to argue the finer design details.

I was not questioning "better" in terms of STI vs SV. I was questioning "better" in terms of metal vs. plastic.

Define "better" in a way that is not subjective.

SVI is available in carbon steel; stainless or aluminum; STI appear to be available in aluminum only. I'll leave it to others to argue the finer design details.

The STI seems to be shaped to use existing magwells, that's not so clear from the pictures of the SV grips. Anyone know conclusively?

The STI seems to be shaped to use existing magwells, that's not so clear from the pictures of the SV grips. Anyone know conclusively?

The SVs cannot use existing magwells. It needs a mag well made specifically for the grip (which, right now, means you have one option).

Dave,

For one example some shooters won't have to relax their grip to let a mag fall out during a reload.

Another, a metal grip carbon/ss will put the weight where it is needed, in the hand. A weighted magwell below the hand doesn't give the needed balance of weight. Another, if a metal grip does crack it can easily be welded, a plastic one buy another grind, sand, stipple, paint, cover, or throw it against the wall to get it to feel like the old one.

As for only one magwell available for the SV grip, there will be two after I design and build one.

Rich

For one example some shooters won't have to relax their grip to let a mag fall out during a reload.

Mags dropping is the only objective benefit I've been able to arrive at.

Another, a metal grip carbon/ss will put the weight where it is needed, in the hand. A weighted magwell below the hand doesn't give the needed balance of weight.

Feel is entirely subjective. If someone wants more weight in the hand, that's great - but that doesn't make one grip intrinsically "better" than the other. You will also have commensurate differences in perceived recoil, etc. Here again, one is not better than the other - just different.

Another, if a metal grip does crack it can easily be welded,

Not that I expect the metal grips to crack - but repaired at what cost? Weld, then recontour inside and out, etc... Repair of the grip costs almost as much as a new plastic grip. I wouldn't expect this would be an issue with those grips, though (although it could... anything can break).

a plastic one buy another grind, sand, stipple, paint, cover, or throw it against the wall to get it to feel like the old one.

I prefer to run them over with a light truck, personally... :lol:

Obviously, if you prefer, say, a Shanahan grip or something like that, a cracked grip can be quite a bit more expensive than just the base grip cost. But, doing a little contouring on a grip, followed by some stippling is not that difficult, and its not like most of us are having cracked grip problems on any sort of regular basis. Yes, it can happen, but its not typical for most folks, especially if you avoid stuffing relatively "solid" mags into the gun (ie, the so-called "non-reloadable" mags....)

Should be legal in Open Division right away.

Might need to meet the numbers to be Limited legal ?

...components with a minimum production of 500 units by a factory and available to the general public.

That is a good point... Wouldn't want anyone to get caught out at a match this year.

Mags dropping is the only objective benefit I've been able to arrive at.

This is one major reason I would consider buying one. I have more than a few tuned mags that will not drop free for whatever reason and don't get used. Much more than $400 worth.

ok, I guess I gotta be the wise ass :P

but as a caspian shooter,

it humors me to read about spending 400 bucks for a grip, to make you gun balance and weight more like a caspian, when a complete caspian frame retails for 455. :ph34r:

it humors me to read about spending 400 bucks for a grip, to make you gun balance and weight more like a caspian, when a complete caspian frame retails for 455. :ph34r:

I may be wrong, but it's all about the mags...tuned mags I should say ;)

you get 22 rounds on the SVi/STI Caspian what 19-20 maybe? i like the concept, but me not paying $400 for it.

Since Caspian Mags are the same dimensions as Tanfoglio you could get 21 rather easily. Actually for less $$ then a standard S_I mag. Henning sells them for $95 each I believe and yes.. they do hold 21 reloadable. I've seen Tanfoglio mags converted for a Caspian, it's not real hard. Hell.. speaking of that you could just get a Tanfoglio which is a steel framed gun for Half the price of an S_I and get cheap 21 round mags...

There I go again... talking myself out of my STI... :o

Since Caspian Mags are the same dimensions as Tanfoglio you could get 21 rather easily. Actually for less $$ then a standard S_I mag. Henning sells them for $95 each I believe and yes.. they do hold 21 reloadable. I've seen Tanfoglio mags converted for a Caspian, it's not real hard. Hell.. speaking of that you could just get a Tanfoglio which is a steel framed gun for Half the price of an S_I and get cheap 21 round mags...

There I go again... talking myself out of my STI... :o

We talking .40 or 9/38S mags?

If you could easily get a Caspian big stick that would hold 30 and be reliable, I'd have thought long and hard about having a Caspian Open gun built.