Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kaboom

I was sitting reloading 9mm on my 650 when all of a sudden as I pushed the handle forward to seat a primer...kaboom. Scared the crap out of me!! My dog was looking up at me like WTF??? Then I noticed the damage. The plastic primer following rod was stuck in the ceiling and was mangled. How the hell did that get there? As I began removing the assembly from the reloader I noticed that every single primer on the plate and all the way into the tube had detonated and welded itself to the inner sleeve. I had only loaded about 30+ out of the 100 primers.

I wasn't pressing too hard and I have heard of it happening before, but has anybody had all of the primers in the sleeve go off? I'm using Federal Small Pistol or at least I was, I'm all out now! You think Dillon will refurbish it?

Shaun

Glad you're alright, but there are several threads on the 650 kabooms already. Makes me ecen happier I bought a 1050.

It happens with the 1050 too. Ask me how I know. It can be an underwear altering experience.

It happened to me exactly like that, and there are many others. All 90+ primers in my tube went off so fast it sounded like one Kaboom.

I was standing when it happen, but I sat right down after that. :surprise:

Can someone educate me on how this happens? I have a different press and although I can see popping off a primer that is going into a case... I can't see how it would dedonate the whole tube! I am not hear to rip on any vendor. I'm using a Hornady LNL for reference. I just can't see how it could happen. Thanks.

I only have experience with the 650, however, I've heard other models can go off as well.

The reason why the whole tube goes up is because the first primer that goes off chain reacts the rest. ...this is why the primer tube has a steel shroud and why the rod is plastic.

Federals are sensitive. They will go off with the lightest of hits. Winchester's and others won't.

Mine went off the first time because I accidentally let go of the handle. The handle went past neutral, causing the primer inserter thingy to hit the primer.

The second time I detonated, the indexer spring on the primer assembly was bad, causing it to not index correctly. The result was a primer that got sheared. ...I was a dumbass by not stopping when I felt the resistance.

In my opinion, the negatives of the 650 primer assembly, is also a positive. I like being able to feel the primer being inserted and knowing if I have a loose or tight seating.

Hope this helps.

Darren

Ok- I understand why the whole tube goes off but what triggers the first primer detonation? On my press a single primer is pushed across a slide onto the plunger which pushes the primer into the case. The primer is isolated from the tube when you are inserting it into the case. The slide is spring loaded so if something gets stuck it won't be forced/crushed. I can't see what would cause the primer in the tube to ignite. I just don't want to overlook anything that could cause this.

I only have experience with the 650, however, I've heard other models can go off as well.

The reason why the whole tube goes up is because the first primer that goes off chain reacts the rest. ...this is why the primer tube has a steel shroud and why the rod is plastic.

Federals are sensitive. They will go off with the lightest of hits. Winchester's and others won't.

Mine went off the first time because I accidentally let go of the handle. The handle went past neutral, causing the primer inserter thingy to hit the primer.

The second time I detonated, the indexer spring on the primer assembly was bad, causing it to not index correctly. The result was a primer that got sheared. ...I was a dumbass by not stopping when I felt the resistance.

In my opinion, the negatives of the 650 primer assembly, is also a positive. I like being able to feel the primer being inserted and knowing if I have a loose or tight seating.

Hope this helps.

Darren

As a former Lee Press user, I must say that the first thing that came to mind when reading the first sentence was "Federal Primers and Dillon primer tubes are an accident waiting to happen". Something I heard repeatedly from Lee press users.

I must confess that of all the things I like about the Dillon press, the idea of all those primers stacked up in a tube still concerns me. And Lee always went out of their way to insist that the you not use Federal primers because it is too easy to accidentally discharge them.

Granted that this is greatly exaggerated, but even myths have some core of truth. I'm sorry that this seems to fall into that category.

I wasn't pressing too hard and I have heard of it happening before, but has anybody had all of the primers in the sleeve go off? I'm using Federal Small Pistol or at least I was, I'm all out now! You think Dillon will refurbish it?

You are now a member of the club. :cheers:

YES! Dillon will send you a complete priming feed mechanism.

This experience will jump start your heart.

As a former Lee Press user, I must say that the first thing that came to mind when reading the first sentence was "Federal Primers and Dillon primer tubes are an accident waiting to happen". Something I heard repeatedly from Lee press users.

I must confess that of all the things I like about the Dillon press, the idea of all those primers stacked up in a tube still concerns me. And Lee always went out of their way to insist that the you not use Federal primers because it is too easy to accidentally discharge them.

Granted that this is greatly exaggerated, but even myths have some core of truth. I'm sorry that this seems to fall into that category.

You do kinad have to chuckle at Lee's idea that having the primers all lined up with a plastic tray pointed right at your face is safer then a sheilded tube pointed at the cealing. Doesn't even requiere a blast sheild as long as you use CCI. Thats just nuts. I was a primer crushing fool with my LM and 1/2 the time you couldn't even tell.

Ok- I understand why the whole tube goes off but what triggers the first primer detonation? On my press a single primer is pushed across a slide onto the plunger which pushes the primer into the case. The primer is isolated from the tube when you are inserting it into the case. The slide is spring loaded so if something gets stuck it won't be forced/crushed. I can't see what would cause the primer in the tube to ignite. I just don't want to overlook anything that could cause this.

Which press do you have?

As I previously said, if you let go of the press handle, or shear a primer because the indexer is off, etc, etc,....these are the things that will set of the first primer. And the explosion of the first primer sets off the second, which sets off the third, etc, etc.

D

I was sitting reloading 9mm on my 650 when all of a sudden as I pushed the handle forward to seat a primer...kaboom. Scared the crap out of me!! My dog was looking up at me like WTF??? Then I noticed the damage. The plastic primer following rod was stuck in the ceiling and was mangled. How the hell did that get there? As I began removing the assembly from the reloader I noticed that every single primer on the plate and all the way into the tube had detonated and welded itself to the inner sleeve. I had only loaded about 30+ out of the 100 primers.

Shaun

Been there , done that (twice) and got the shirt.

Federals are very sensitive. Make sure that when you are loading, one does not skip and fall down under the rotary magazine. I think this is what happened to me.

Dillon will send you a new primer system when you call and tell them what happened. As they told me, just throw the old one away. They rate it to stand one blast, but not two.

Be safe.

...but has anybody had all of the primers in the sleeve go off?

Get this....my press was brand new. I just finished putting it together. I got 25 rounds made before my kaboom. 75 Federal primers went off. The ball of flame was about 4 to 5 feet in diameter. My right ear still rings 4 years later.

D

Edited by ExtremeShot

I have a Hornady LNL. I don't know if the design prevents this kind of problem or not. I don't want to get caught of guard some day but I can't see how would happen on this one. I hope something like that never happens!!

Which press do you have?

As I previously said, if you let go of the press handle, or shear a primer because the indexer is off, etc, etc,....these are the things that will set of the first primer. And the explosion of the first primer sets off the second, which sets off the third, etc, etc.

D

Pictures?

Oh yes, I have pictures I'll post. I pulled the plastic rod out of the ceiling before I took the pics. I think if there was anything funny about this situation it was looking up and seeing haze and a mangled plastic rod hanging what looked to be in mid air. Ill post pics in a bit.

Notice the primers in the second picture stacked in the opening.

post-7057-1238390256_thumb.jpg

post-7057-1238390341_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShaunH

Is the primer system different on the 650 compared to the SDB? Looking at my SDB I can't see how a detonating primer at the shell plate could transfer to the magazine.

Yes.

There is a wheel with 20ish primer-sized holes in it, that rotates them under the shellplate one by one. If the one you're pressing goes off, the next one is only 1/8" away. After about 10 cook off, you're igniting the whole stack in the feed tube.

As production rate goes up, the primers get closer & closer together in the feed mechanism, basically.

With the SDB and the 550, I haven't heard of any instances of the entire tube going up when the user forces/detonates the current primer.

Dillon has stated do not use the federals in the 650....I belive this is the common link in 650 Kabooms.....I have been loading over 3 years with Winchester SR primers and never had a problem....even "crushed" one sideways and it did not go boom....

The ball of flame was about 4 to 5 feet in diameter.

Errr.... this has me seriously doubting the layout of my loading room, which as the moment has all my powder on some shelves... about a foot and a half away from the end of my 650's primer tube. :surprise:

Swell. <_<

Edited by cas