Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended Slide release

After an extended absence from shooting 1911s I recently purchased a limited gun for USPSA. Most of the guns I see today have the stock slide release, when I began shooting 1911s in the early 70s an extended slide release seemed to help with reloads, or course at that time most guns were fired until the slide locked back and then reloaded. My question is is there an advantage or disadvantage to using an extended slide release.

Too easy to bump and prematurely lock the slide back. Unintenionally shooting to slide lock in Limited means you have already made huge mistakes that extended controls cannot salvage.

I've seen some pretty <------WIDE-------> thumb safeties on a Limited gun, that acted as a kick-stand, so I figure if they can get away with that, then an extended slide release lever that is not actively being marketed as a thumb-rest should be fine.

Bolt-on parts that are strictly marketed as "Gas Pedals" would NOT be legal in LTD or L10.

I'd like to have a little wider slide release for my single stack, but not the long slide release you see now that extends to the thumb safety. I just want one that has a little bit larger pad for my thumb to get on, but I have yet to find one commercially available.

For example, one that could easily be used while wearing gloves that your thumb wont slip off of.

Edited by kgunz11

One problem (among several) with extended slide releases is that they have a nasty tendency to pop up, while the gun is cycling, from their own greater-than-stock weight, leading to the action locking open with rounds still in the magazine. Also, a shooter's grip, if they use straight thumbs with both thumbs pointing at the target, can ride the support hand thumb on the extended portion of the slide stop, leading to the opposite problem: the gun does not lock open when empty. Also, during the one, brief, VERY brief period I carried an article sample gun with an extended slide release lever concealed as part of my evaluation, I found the "prong" of the lever, pointing backward, had a likewise nasty tendency to hook on my clothing as I was trying to draw the gun. This (1) really screwed up the draw, (2) ripped a huge hole in the sweater I was wearing at the time.

There is an old saying among 1911 fans: "An extended slide release is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911. The first most useless part you can put on a 1911 is an ambidextrous extended slide release."

Try the Nighthawk part, it's no longer (to the rear) than a standard 1911 part, put extended out to the side considerably further. It's severely scalloped or "dished" to keep weight down and help avoid the "pop up from greater-than-stock weight" effect of an extended slide release lever.

I don't like them on my guns. This is just my personal preference though. I shoot L10 and don't want to go to slide lock during a stage (try not too anyway). I don't care for ambi or even extended safties either though, I have problems engaging them after a mag change. Just my $.02.

Hurley