Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Green Egg - BBQ grills

Just got mine and I LOVE it! Any other Enos people have one? Sure would like your secret recipes!

First meal, last night, was a beer can chicken and it was simply awesome. I am looking for some good ribs, brisket, and steak ideas. :cheers:

Do a turkey for Thanksgiving! You'll get a moist and tasty bird that you will not soon forget. Something about that ceramic construction and how it holds the heat...

Edited by kamikaze1a

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may try a BGE if my CookShack smoker ever dies. I was down to these two and went with Cookshack since they are made in Oklahoma. Did a lot of research and have never talked to anyone that had either one that didn't love it. I already had a nice Charbroil gas grill and was only looking for a smoker, but the BGE has the advantage of doing both, and grilling steaks over wood is sooooo much better than gas, so if you want just one, give the BGE a hard look.

Edited by Shadowrider

the BGE has the advantage of doing both, and grilling steaks over wood is sooooo much better than gas, so if you want just one, give the BGE a hard look.

Thanks, I was leaning that way already :)

Edited by jayd

I bought my BGE-last week--cooked ribs,and boston butt,love it, not much charcoal to run 10 hours,,I built my own table,with help of a friends wood working shop,this thing is sweet..

I bought my BGE-last week--cooked ribs,and boston butt,love it, not much charcoal to run 10 hours,,I built my own table,with help of a friends wood working shop,this thing is sweet..

"Most Awesomest Grill Ever!"

Wouldn't trade mine for the world :wub: , maybe for a few guns but not the world! :goof:

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The guy who owns the

House of Tricks (amazing food!) restaurant in Tempe recently bought a

, and loves it.

I might be in the market for a new grill...

I saw SV-COP's post on not using the Traegar after getting the BGE.

Anyone else have experience with both grills?

I've had a Traeger for a number of years, along with Weber charcoal and gas grills. The Traeger is best thought of as a wood fired convection oven. It's great for doing roasts, ribs, pork shoulders, wings, without a lot of attention. I've done the Thanksgiving turkey on mine a couple times. If you want to throw some meat on, and do other things, it's great. It is not something I'd do steaks or burgers on, well kind of. I do get steaks and put them on to smoke for an hour, then grill them on one of the Weber grills. It gives them an awesome flavor, and you can still have it medium rare.

The Traeger is another means of cooking, much like different pots and pans in the kitchen.

The guy who owns the

House of Tricks (amazing food!) restaurant in Tempe recently bought a

, and loves it.

I might be in the market for a new grill...

I saw SV-COP's post on not using the Traegar after getting the BGE.

Anyone else have experience with both grills?

Traegers are fine, I never had one, but cooked on my friends Traeger pellet pooper a few times. Not a big fan of plugging things in cause I cook year round, even in the rain.

I am a huge fan of Weber charcoal grills. Have 4 at the moment. Different sizes for different cooks. I grill, sear, smoke, roast, use my dutch ovens and cast iron skillets, it can pretty much do anything cookingwise. I highly recommend one.

I also have a Weber gas grill. So my wife can cook outside. It is handy when you are in a hurry. Just kidding, it's not only for the wife, I have cooked on it once.

I have an offset smoker and a UDS too. But I seem to use the Weber charcoal most.

I am in the process of upgrading to a big green egg XL. If you cook on charcoal and like to smoke also, it really is the pinnacle for cooking in your yard. The egg really outshines other grills becasue the heavy ceramc insulation maintains the heat and it really offers excellent temperature control with low charcoal use. So you can do really long cooks without having to babysit your smoker.

With all that being said, you can get good results from almost anything. I know a guy that cut up a metal garbage can (new one, not used) and he puts out some pretty fine food. Someones opinion will always be different, whatever you get, just use it and get good with it.

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM), for smoking. It is the bomb for smoking awesome food. It maintains temp. I've never had anything come out of there that wasn't just flat fantastic.

If I want to do burgers, dogs and steaks...those go on the gas grill.

The treager sounds neat. The BGE sounds great too. But, I usually want to grill (to eat NOW) or smoke. So it is a good gas grill and a WSM for me.

Up to this point, all my grilling is just cooking a couple pieces of meat for me and Candis for dinner. Steaks, burgers, fish, chops, bison steaks and burgers... 2 at a time.

I'm not a fan of the needing a plug for the Traeger, but if I really liked the thing - for my current cooking style - which I'm starting to doubt, it would be real easy to put a 110 box behind where it would be. (The wall panel is 15 feet to the right of the grill's spot.)

My drawback with the BGE - I don't think I want to dealing with lighting charcoal every night just to cook 2 pieces of meat.

That's the beauty of the gas grill - fire it up when Candis starts making the salads, and slap the meat on when the salads are done.

Maybe I should just stick with a gas grill. (I'll never have more than one grill).

Thanks for all the feedback.

My drawback with the BGE - I don't think I want to dealing with lighting charcoal every night just to cook 2 pieces of meat.

Lighting charcoal is a process. That's why I light up a cigar and relax while the charcoal comes up to temp.

You on the other might not be able to do that. I have watched many videos of your shooting, you are all about speed. Yeah, charcoal might not be for you. ;)

Brian,

I to sometime just cook for two.Just throw one of these in charcoal its like a big match open damper and in about 10-20 min.its ready to cook.and the thing about the BGE is it doesn't use up all the charcoal ,when you are done cooking just close it up and the fire goes out saving a lot of the fuel for next time

post-14820-0-68216400-1377800106_thumb.j

If you want to go low and slow but don't want to have two different Q's, all you need is;

1. cast iron frying pan.

2. some wood chips

3. some charcoal

4. a couple of wood dowels from the hardware store or whittle them from a tree branch (to impress the ladies further).

5. a cardboard box

A medium sized cardboard box will do, maybe the size of a microwave or something like that. Push the dowels through the box, parallel to each other and that becomes your “meat rack”. Soak the wood chips of choice in some water for a few hours. Fire up your coal, it doesn’t take much and then place it in the cast iron frying pan. Put your wet chips on top of the coal. You can punch a meat thermometer through the cardboard if you want to know what the inside temp is but you don't have to do this. Then, don’t monkey with it for a few hours. You may want/need to replace the coal after awhile (where the thermometer comes in handy) but you can just put your hand on the box too. You can pre cut a “door” slot out to remove the frying pan so that you can easily add more and not lose your heat.

It takes a little time to figure out cooking times but you really can’t screw it up. Small pork picnic’s are good, chicken breasts are good too.

You can also use a hot plate instead of the charcoal, but that’s kind of the wussy way of doing it.

I get my Charbroil Infrared grill up to 700 degrees in about 10 minutes or less. Best grill there is for a seared Steak.

I have another grill for burgers and chicken, but the Charbroil infrared is for steaks only.

Oh...also have a Masterbuilt smoker or low-n-slow BBQ.