Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KKM Precision 9mm Barrel

noxcuse73

I just won a G17 off the prize table this weekend at the LA IDPA State match and decided to start shooting SSP for a change. I've always shot ESP and used Bar-Sto barrels in all my guns, but hey if the gun is free you tend to get inspired to shoot a different class. I've had good luck with Bar-Sto .40 barrels for years, but wanted to try something different so I ordered a drop-in KKM for it. In the past I thought I remembered hearing that they were shorter chambered with less lead, but that may have been on a .40 barrel. Anyway, I see that several folks run them and speak well of them, I just don't have any personal experience with them or the 9mm. I would like to hear from anyone with hands on experience with accuracy, reliability, tight or regular chamber, length of the lead before the rifling and so forth.

Thanks,

JV

They are good. (so is the stock barrel...but you know what you want there)

The drop in barrel ought to have the chamber finish reamed, I believe. But, there have been reports of a few that haven't over the years (probably few reports out of lots of barrels).

They also have a 9mm barrel that is on spec to the Open guns that SJC builds (kinda built around running major 9 with Zero 124g JHP's).

I do realize that the glock barrel shoots pretty good, but then why would they make larger diameter tighter lockup barrels that fit better and held to tighter dimensions? I know I know just to sell aftermarket accessories. My ESP gun is a .40 and with the way it "glocked" the brass with the factory barrel it was a no brainer to swap it out. Besides, like I said this was a FREE gun off the prize table so I have a little to spare on parts getting it set up for SSP. The measure of accuracy level may not be able to measured in a definitive way by my hands, but it makes me feel better, and for $160 I figured it couldn't hurt. Thanks for the input. Anyone else have any opinions?

JV

Lead (ie. the distance from the front of the chamber to the rifling also called "skip" "jump" etc.) NOT lead (like the type of projectiles as apposed to fmj). If the lead (pronounced leed) is too short the bullet ogive will get stuck in the rifling and either pull the bullet out of the case when unloading and showing clear leaving powder all in the inside of the gun or maybe not go into full battery when loading or shooting. I have seen a few barrels including KKM, Barsto, and Lone Wolf over the last year with the lead (leed) too short that caused malfunctions. The only way to fix it is to cut the lead (leed) longer, load your rounds shorter, or change bullet profile. After I re-read (red) it I saw how it could be confusing. Sometimes it's hard to convey the proper pronunciation when you read (reed) it. Thanks for all the feedback.

JV

Only negative I have seen comes from a fellow shooter who went through one in no short order by shooting 147 grain bullets. I have one sitting around that I may or may not use (I also use 147 grain bullets).

He indicated he was told that the wear was a direct results of running the heavier bullets.

Vince,

Was that Fred? I recall exchanging some thoughts with him on that, I believe.

I really can't see that as any kind of regular issue. I assume (?) that the 40 and the 9 barrels carry the same twist rate and have similar barrel thicknesses. I have shoot cases of 180g (Zero JHP's) out of my KKM barrel in 40...both at 135pf and 170pf.

Lead (ie. the distance from the front of the chamber to the rifling also called "skip" "jump" etc.) NOT lead (like the type of projectiles as apposed to fmj). If the lead (pronounced leed) is too short the bullet ogive will get stuck in the rifling and either pull the bullet out of the case when unloading and showing clear leaving powder all in the inside of the gun or maybe not go into full battery when loading or shooting. I have seen a few barrels including KKM, Barsto, and Lone Wolf over the last year with the lead (leed) too short that caused malfunctions. The only way to fix it is to cut the lead (leed) longer, load your rounds shorter, or change bullet profile. After I re-read (red) it I saw how it could be confusing. Sometimes it's hard to convey the proper pronunciation when you read (reed) it. Thanks for all the feedback.

JV

No I meant lead as in, heavier than steal but not as heavy as gold, lead. The aftermarket barrels are better than stock glock for shooting lead projectiles. If you are shooting jacketed bullets your aftermarket barrel might look "trick" on your gun but I don't think it's giving you any advantage, at all, as a shooter.

I am shooting lead (led) not gold or steal bullets. LOL. I'm just a working guy and after doing the number crunching if I shoot jacketed bullets I might as well shoot factory loaded ammo. I'm a dealer and get it for cost and at cost it's only a few dollars more than spending the time to reload especially with the cost of jacketed bullets these days. Besides it takes less powder to drive the lead bullets at the same velocity as the fmj's and for punching paper they work just as good. With the 9mm being lower pressure than my .40 and light loading both of them to boot, leading in the barrel shouldn't be a problem. I probably could've gotten by with the factory barrel, but like I said, with the gun starting out FREE I had a few extra bucks to splurge on do dads for it. The aftermarket barrel makes me feel a little better about shooting the lead bullets through it and besides it looks cooler. And as we all know, or at least my thought is, whether you shoot good or not you might as well look good doin it. It's all about lookin good!!!! :roflol: :roflol:

JV

I have both KKM and Lone Wolf barrels, and in my opinion the KKM is well worth the extra money. I have a compensated KKM in a G17, and a noncomp in my G35. Both are great shooters. The Lone Wolf in my G20 is so-so in the accuracy department. I used to have a Jarvis in the G34, but I found that the OEM barrel was more accurate, so that's what I use in that gun now.

The aftermarket barrel makes me feel a little better about shooting the lead bullets through it and besides it looks cooler. And as we all know, or at least my thought is, whether you shoot good or not you might as well look good doin it. It's all about lookin good!!!!

I think we need to take a good look at adding style points to a shooters score. :cheers:

Well got the trigger work finished up, sights installed, and A-grip on last night and got the barrel in today. I've seen quite a few aftermarket barrels including the Bar-sto's I have in several of my other guns, but I've never seen a bore surface finish without tool marks as smooth and concentric as the one in this KKM. It must be the button rifling process they use is all I can think. Whatever it is it shows in quality. I'll shoot it in the morning and report back, but if it shoots half as good as the machine work and fit and finish of it, then it should drive tacks. I think if shoots good tomorrow, and I ever need another barrel then it will be a KKM for sure. After working on more glocks and various other handguns and rifles than I can count, I can honestly say that the workmanship on this barrel is very impressive by comparison. It was truly a "drop-in" and the chamber looks finish honed beautifully as well. Thanks for all the feedback and input.

JV

Vince,

Was that Fred? I recall exchanging some thoughts with him on that, I believe.

I really can't see that as any kind of regular issue. I assume (?) that the 40 and the 9 barrels carry the same twist rate and have similar barrel thicknesses. I have shoot cases of 180g (Zero JHP's) out of my KKM barrel in 40...both at 135pf and 170pf.

It was. We went to shoot a match up in Erie in January and he relayed his experience regarding the barrel. Has me thinking of trading the KKM for a new 34 factory barrel!

First of all if you understand how a Glock barrel locks up you will realize there is no need for a "hard fit" match barrel. The stock Glock barrel returns to the same position every time when in battery. I am yet to see a "match" barrel that is any more accurate than my stock barrels.

You will give up some reliability with a tight chambered match barrel - duh the hole is smaller!!! :surprise:

Well Joe D I've been working on glocks for about 10 years and I am very familiar with how it locks up and every other intricacy of the gun and what effect what and has on what. I do appreciate your input though. It's funny, I've never run into a reliability issue with my aftermarket barrels with any factory or reloaded ammo. The original question was for first hand experience with this brand of barrel. Since I am running Lead bullets I use aftermarket barrels with conventional rifling for an added measure of safety. After around 100 rounds of lead reloads I start getting some lead buildup (ie sheeting) in the first inch of the rifling. This could probably be from the lube on the lead or just these lead bullets themselves, not sure. The bullets also measure .401 slightly oversized. All these things combined with the fact I don't have anything in this gun inspired me to buy one. Beings the glock barrel doesn't have grooves only lands means that it has a tighter bore diameter, thus creating a possible buildup of lead and lube causing a hi pressure situation (KABOOOOM). I do realize this is unlikely, because there is obviously many many guys doing it anyway with good luck. If you really want to get technical how bout this. Years ago when I first expanded to other guns besides my 1911s I bought a Bar-sto for my G22 and shot then put a mic on the area above the rim and found that the glock barrel yielded a 13-15 thousandths bulge at 6 o'clock and the Barsto yielded 3-5 thousand bulge. Well I think brass can only take being worked so much before it turns loose. On another note, I did shoot it yesterday and today (around 300 rounds) with zero failures of any kind. Standing and unsupported with PMC bronze 115gr. it shot about a 1.5" 17shot group at 35 yards. I think it'll be a keeper. Thanks for all the input and feedback.

JV

I just won a G17 off the prize table this weekend at the LA IDPA State match and decided to start shooting SSP for a change. I've always shot ESP and used Bar-Sto barrels in all my guns, but hey if the gun is free you tend to get inspired to shoot a different class. I've had good luck with Bar-Sto .40 barrels for years, but wanted to try something different so I ordered a drop-in KKM for it. In the past I thought I remembered hearing that they were shorter chambered with less lead, but that may have been on a .40 barrel. Anyway, I see that several folks run them and speak well of them, I just don't have any personal experience with them or the 9mm. I would like to hear from anyone with hands on experience with accuracy, reliability, tight or regular chamber, length of the lead before the rifling and so forth.

Thanks,

JV

I put one in my G34 a few months ago and love it. Have had 0 issues, shoots everything i've put through it and tightened the groups by at least half over stock barrel.