Titegroup load for IPSC

philproulx

4.7gr Tight Group.

Mixed brass

Fed small rifle primers

Zero 180 JHP

1.23 OAL

170PF or so

I find TG a bit dirty, so have switched to 4.3gr of Clays. Cleaner and Softer. Mark K

When you switch to 4.3 Clays did you keep the same OAL

i'm interested to try CLAYS out of my STI

but the thing is i won't be shooting a big match with a close to 170 ammo i like to go with 175pf just in case

i'm not sure i"ll be able to shoot Clays to that level...

phil

Edited by philproulx

I chrono'd my 1.185" 4.8gr TG tonite through a 5" STI with a Schumann barrel. Average FPS was 926 @ a power factor of 166.7. I'm going to bump a 1/10th of a grain and try again. I'm hoping for a whisker more margin of error.

• 3 weeks later...

IPSC Major PF is 165. I shoot for 168-172 in my guns and have never been moved to minor. Did shoot the COPS match last year at 165.3 though, lol. I shoot 180's in my STI Executve and 155's or 170's in my XDM for production. My buddy has a bullet casting business and I'm going to try his bullets this week. I went by his shop and picked up some 180's and they are HARD. 18-19 brinell hardness, so they shouldn't lead any at major speeds.

4.7gr Tight Group.

Mixed brass

Fed small rifle primers

Zero 180 JHP

1.23 OAL

170PF or so

I find TG a bit dirty, so have switched to 4.3gr of Clays. Cleaner and Softer. Mark K

When you switch to 4.3 Clays did you keep the same OAL

i'm interested to try CLAYS out of my STI

but the thing is i won't be shooting a big match with a close to 170 ammo i like to go with 175pf just in case

i'm not sure i"ll be able to shoot Clays to that level...

phil

Opinions vary on clays in 40 S&W. Some say it's just fine. Some say it's dangerous due to potential pressure spike from bullet set-back. If you are shooting jacketed bullets, there's nothing wrong with TG. With the higher pf requirements for IPSC you might want to factor in that clays has a very non-linear pressure gain. Like I said, opinions vary.