Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Athena Lee in Cop magazine

Sharyn

athena.jpg

I'd rather have Athena respond to my 911 call than 98% of the guys featured on bad boys, bad boys whatcha gonna do?... Cops.

:D

edited to add: although I've done some Photoshop enhancements in the past... this one is an untouched original currently published in American Cop magazine.

Edited by Sharyn

I'm not sure I want the majority of cops I know trying to pull off what Athena can do with a pistol. Hell, I'm not sure I want them trying to even run with their pistol unholstered. Not saying all cops are like that, but the percentage of cops that shoot the amounts of a USPSA shooter is pretty slim. Sad, but true.

I guess I'd like to know what parts of the techniques that she is demonstrating you would not want to duplicate in a LE environment. Hopefully it isn't the muzzle awareness, and her finger being clearly up and off the trigger...

When I am on duty and bad guys pull guns on me, I run just like that. Generally screaming like a girl also. :cheers:

On a more serious note, I love the trigger finger placement. THAT is good training. "I am the only one professional enough in this room to use a Glock 40" comes to mind. That one didn't make us look too good.

SA FRIDAY- thats because they all shoot that IDPA stuff! :unsure:

Not true. The percentage of LEOs in any of the shooting sports is closer to that of the general population. Being a COP doesn't make you a gun guy or make you prefer one of the shooting sports over the other.

OK, so let me see if I've got this right. By "your own competition" I assume they mean a life and death encounter where some one might be shooting at you. In that case, I can see why skills such as rapid movement to cover or a position where you can return fire, trigger control and accurate shot placement under duress would be of no value whatsoever <_<

When I am on duty and bad guys pull guns on me, I run just like that. Generally screaming like a girl also.

Quote - Brian Payne

Now that's funny :roflol:

SA FRIDAY- thats because they all shoot that IDPA stuff! :unsure:

Hate to say, but they bust on IDPA too. And, this isn't an 'Us vs. Them' topic... please don't get it closed with that mindset.

Perhaps the most dangerous habit you can ingrain from competitive shooting is quickly shooting at targets as you see them. Judgment and target discrimination have little place in these events. The "no-shoot" targets used in IDPA matches are too primitive to count as real judgment training, in my opinion.

~Ralph Mroz - American Cop March/April 2009 pg. 47

I should scan and post the entire article. It's actually pretty good and supportive of competitive shooting. Just that picture of Athena (with funny caption) in a Cop magazine was totally unexpected.

ok, yeah... I need to post the whole article as I see where the conversation is heading... sorry, mods!

brb with article

Here's the entire article for you to read (you should, it's pretty good!) They actually have it on their website, which is REALLY nice btw. Type in pg 46 on the bottom (article starts on pg 46) or just e-flip through the pages.

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPub...icanCop/ACMA09/

Edited by Sharyn

Looks like the author of that article missed a golden opportunity to interview Bob V(police officer if you didn't know). I am sure Bob could have elaborated on how competitive shooting/training relates to real world police work.

athena.jpg

I'd rather have Athena respond to my 911 call than 98% of the guys featured on bad boys, bad boys whatcha gonna do?... Cops.

:D

edited to add: although I've done some Photoshop enhancements in the past... this one is an untouched original currently published in American Cop magazine.

I guess it would depend on the call for service.

I am a leo trainer. I often get told to teach the real life way and not the ipsac way. I have noticed some of our techniques are making their way into the leo training but it is a slow moving trend.

Edited by AWLAZS

Essentially the article is supportive of competitive shooting. Yes, the cation taken totally out of context would lead one to think it was a bash USPSA/IPSC and IDPA article, but reading it proves the opposite.

Most Law Enforcement trainers have NO idea what competition is about...

This, thank god, has been changing over the years. I can list at least five that I know of off the top of my head; Konkapot, Redwood, the instructor for AFOSI, and the instructors (2) for Denver PD. All USPSA shooters and then some. Change can be a good thing. ;)

I'm in law enforcement and a trainer... and very often told our techniques only work for competition. Is a gunfight a competition??? Hmmm

Ya, it is. and second place really sucks. ;)

One of our locals returned from Afghanistan, and has been put in for the Purple Heart and Silver Star for his exploits.

While standing around at a recent match he told me he felt more pressure waiting to shoot a stage than in a firefight. Interesting.