Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2MoreChains

9.8.1 "Each competitor is responsible to maintain an accurate record of their scores to verify the lists posted by the Stats Officer."

I'm assuming nobody gets nutted-up over Level 1 Matches, but for Level II or higher, is this a common practice?

What do you do, follow the R.O. during scoring w/ your own notepad / score sheet?

Common practice at big matches. Most large matches offer the shooter a carbonless form or some other copy of their score that they can take away from the stage, making it easy to track scores. You'll find bunches of shooters at the "wailing wall" checking their scores against the posted results, to insure there were no data entry errors, etc....

Lots of the bigger matches use a carbonless copy score sheet, with the copy going to the shooter. Always check the score sheet before you sign or initial. At local matches it is a good idea to follow the RO around the COF after you shoot to verify each target.

Lots of the bigger matches use a carbonless copy score sheet, with the copy going to the shooter. Always check the score sheet before you sign or initial. At local matches it is a good idea to follow the RO around the COF after you shoot to verify each target.

also verify that those scores where wrote down right as well.

I take my 'customer copy' of the score sheet and calculate hit factors. When they post the results you only have to look at one number to see if everything is in order. There is usually no customer copy at club matches but some folks do copy their hits and time to check later.

In any of the cases you can follow the RO around but if it helps move things along on long stages, you can identify someone else to look at the hits. Most of our clubs will tape behind the shooter and scorekeeper but will leave any goofy targets alone until the shooter gets to see it.

Later,

Chuck

I will sometimes have a camera along anyway. The posercam has a still camera function too. So after we have shot all the stages but before we turn in the scoresheets I will take a picture of each stage's scoresheet. I will do this especially for matches where I know it's going to be a few days before the results are posted, or if the results get emailed out in some format that looks like jibberish and I can't make heads or tails out of it at first. I guess I am not all that computer literate.

It helps when I get back home to calculate how I did on the classifier stage and then punch that HF into the classifiercalc.com site.

For major matches I will type up a blank form that looks very similar to the performance summary you will see at the USPSA.org website.

I also bring a small stapler along or a paper clip so the "customer copies" don't blow away.

At Area and National matches I walk with the RO and scorekeeper. Check your sheet before you sign it.

Jim

+1 to Jim's statement. I always walk with them at the Nationals and Area matches. I normally do at local matches as well. No one is out to screw us but we all make mistakes so do as Jim said and check your scoresheet before signing it.

I've heard of guys getting screwed by not checking their scores before leaving the match. It's real easy for the person entering the stats to hit a type-o. For example you ran a stage in a blazing fast 10.45 seconds ..... but it got entered as 104.5 seconds. :surprise: It's an honest mistake that you would want fixed asap but if you dont verify - you lose.

No matter the match level, the first thing I check before I sign the score sheet is that the time is written down. If you don't have a time, you automatically get a ZERO for the stage. Also, always make sure the hits that are recorded add up to the total round count for the stage.

at our level II matches we use a generic carbonless score sheets. it has 16 slots and a steel slot. teh shooter is responsable for filling in his information. it works 99.9% of the time.

I really detest generics --- to the point where we only use them for Level 1 bad weather matches, where range conditions dictate something other than originally planned....

For level 1 matches, we print 5-9 stages on both sides of an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper; set-up occurs in Word. One of the advantages is that we only have one piece of paper for each competitor to deal with.....

For level 2 and above, all I see are EZW generated scoresheets on NCR paper, typically 5.5" x 8.5"....

Gonna have to look at some sort of summary sheet for our competitors at OB since we are looking at tmaking the transition to full electronic scoring very soon.

I think each shooter will have his own sheet that he may fill in or not as he wishes. Having a squad sheet where the CRO fills in all the shooters info on the squad then lets a member tear it apart like at Nats only works I think with dedicated staff. Since most shooters at L1 matches are not used to any take away sheet anything is better than nothing. The StageScore system will allow for a printout, but that would require another level of tech and $$ that we are not ready for yet.

Whenever we have used generics at matches, there seems to be more errors in scoring than usual.

They are an accident waiting to happen.

EZ Winscore score sheets are great and are very easy to set up and print.

I've only shot Level I matches so far, and usually only take note of my classifier results so I can look it up when I get home. I'm mainly there for the fun of it, but it wouldn't be a competition if I didn't pay more than a passing interest to my scores...! At my level, I doubt anybody would ever be out to screw me, but I can easily acknowledge the human-factor part in typo's or error in transcription. You guys have given me some good ideas.

I like the idea of carbon-copy score sheets the best, but that's probably going to depend on if the match organizers opt to use them or not. Having some sheets for my own use w/ T1 - T16, # of Steel hits, and a box for time is easily doable. I could probably get 6 stages on one sheet. Good idea, and simple. I'm an analog guy, and not very digital, so you probably won't find me 'twittering' my scores... Pencils work for this kid.

At big matches (Level II or higher), once we're done shooting a stage, does somebody run them over to the Stats Shack, or do we turn them in at the end of each day?

Thanks for all the advice/tips/war stories. Got Area 1 coming up in a few more months, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before then.

Cheers

When you shoot a Level II or higher match all you do is shoot and have fun.

You get to keep your copy of your score sheet for each stage and the match staff takes care of the rest.

Good Luck at A1.

Enjoy!

I forget where and or who showed me this method, it works rather well. I follow the RO as he scores the hits, as he calls out the hits, I in turn will count down how many points or penalties I am. If Im down 10 points on a stage, its easy to look at the score sheet and see that you have some combination of scored hits that equals 10 points down and or the penalties. Its worked rather well at larger matches and I cant say that Ive ever had a problem (Knock on wood) with my scores. If I think the handwriting is even remotely unlegible then I ask politely for them to make the number or decimal a little more legible. Hope this helps someone else as its helped me,H!

At big matches (Level II or higher), once we're done shooting a stage, does somebody run them over to the Stats Shack, or do we turn them in at the end of each day?

Typically at bigger matches Stats employs some runners (or folks in golfcarts, on fourwheelers) whose job it is to collect scoresheets. They either make the rounds roughly once a rotation, or sometimes more often than that --- their job is to keep the number crunchers supplied with score sheets....

As far as the process for shooters goes: Shoot the stage, walk with the RO, review and sign your score sheet, receive a copy. The other copy goes in a folder or clipboard awaiting the aforementioned pick-up.

At the end of the day --- sometimes in the middle too --- stats will print interim results: typically broken down by division, listing all stages, with your name, time, points, penalties, and hit factor. That allows you to check your copies of the scoresheets against their data entry.

A well-run stats shack will have double checked, final results posted shortly after the last shooter finished shooting....