Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds in a typical shotgun stage?

chrisct

I typically have 7 carriers, but 2 rarely get used and they are just to keep special ammo separate from SHOT, if you can carry 29rounds on you including the stuff in the gun, you should be good for 99% of the SG stages you'll see. Remember on a typical 25 round pistol course, you probably have 60+ rounds on you, so carrying extra is not a bad thing.

trapr

In the U.S. 4-5 4 round strippers would be fine...overseas I have had 6 six round Choate loaders on me plus the 9 in the gun and had 2 shells left at the end of a stage. The only thing that even came close was the 45 round stage at CMMG last year.

I like the 6 round holders as for every grab of 4 you do you have 2 in reserve for the same amount of belt space used up...,just something to think about. KurtM

Thanks for all the replies.

So what does everyone use...4-shell or 6-shell holders? I was steered away from the 6s because of the difficulty of just grabbing 4 under pressure. I like the idea of more shells, but I'm probably weakest with shotgun reloading, so I didn't want to make it harder on myself.

What's the consensus? Obviously I need to figure out what works for me, but would 4X 6-shell holders a good place to start?

Edited by chrisct

So what does everyone use...4-shell or 6-shell holders? I was steered away from the 6s because of the difficulty of just grabbing 4 under pressure. I like the idea of more shells, but I'm probably weakest with shotgun reloading, so I didn't want to make it harder on myself.

What's the consensus? Obviously I need to figure out what works for me, but would 4X 6-shell holders a good place to start?

I like the 4's for the reasons above. I also think the 6's are too long and can hit your legs when bending. YMMV.

I like the 4's for the reasons above. I also think the 6's are too long and can hit your legs when bending. YMMV.

Do you guys have an auxiliary belt where these shot gun speed strips mount, or are they on your normal pistol belt? Currently the only rifle/shotgun gear I have is a Wilderness belt that I use for IDPA to mount a pistol holster and mag carriers.

All I use is a Wilderness belt, I have seen way too many of the Velcro belt depart the shooter. I have also never had a 6 round holder hit my leg, but a lot of folks go with 4 round holders because it is less confusing...except if you need an extra or two. KurtM

when I started I was grabbing 3 shells and could go to a carrier twice, since then I've progressed to grabbing 4, I only load 4 into the carrier unless i need the extra rounds, I have now gotten to where I can grab 5 if I really need to, but its not pretty!! :surprise:

I much prefer the 6rd carriers to the 4rd carriers.

Trapr

I usually will have 3-4 of the 6 rounders, plus a side saddle, 2 on the forend and 9 in the gun. I go strippers first then use the sidesaddle as extras if need be and the 2 on the forend incase i need one in the tube quick. The only time i go straight for the side saddle is if I need to do a mixed slug/shot reload in the middle of the stage. I stack them in the order I need them and go front to back down the side saddle and dont miss lol. It might take a hair longer than off the belt but they are going to be in the correct order and I have the side saddle load down pretty well

Under the stress of the timer, I'm not the best at grabbing just 4rds out of the 6 shell holder, so I took the dremel and made a small notch in the front of the plastic holder. Now when my hand goes down and slides down the front of the holder, when my finger hits the notch, I know that is the place to dig in and come up with 4 rounds. I got this from another member on a similar thread, and it works great. Also like EkuJustice, if I have a mix n match stage, I use the side saddle, but I take a big marker and put a big "s" on the end of the slugs so I can tell them apart. Looks kinda goofy but it works.

I use 4-4rd carriers, and when the stage may require a few more I have an old M60 ammo pouch with a fastex buckle I strap on with whatever I need for the extra. Its not usually very many. The lead of the shot always has them base up in the pouch so grabbing a few is intuitive and takes up no realestate on my already crowded belt.

I use four 4-rd Progressive Machine and Tool holders on a Mark Otto chest rig, then three 6-rd PMT holders on the belt. I did have to modify the clips on these to raise the holders up so that I could bend over normally, otherwise they would get in the way. I also have an 8-rd arm band I can put on if needed.

I use the 6 round strippers and an old GI pistol belt.

352054464.jpg

3 Gun is the only time I wish I had a bigger waist. 32" isn't quite enough to get all the gear where you need it. Although for most matches, I can drop one of the AR mag carriers and add another 6 round stripper.

Like Bryan 45 but for the Iron-Man my belt looks like the below picture, with a Blade-Tech drop thigh rig for 3 AR magazines and attached to each magazine pouch (Blade-Tech screws/nut combo) are 3 each California Customs 6 round caddies. I believe alot better than a bandolier...

post-11094-1236202362_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you shoot X3 monthly matches you will have 30 plus round stages with slugs mixed in the middle. The California series will have high round counts and you'll have to use bird, buck and slugs. It's interesting. Carry accordingly.