Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wasted Time

Flexmoney

- Bringing stuff that just doesn't work. It doesn't matter what part of the combination is faulty...gun, mag, ammo...broken stuff wastes waaay to much time. Bring stuff that works.

- Reloads. Less reloads mean more shooting. (Those Open guys have a leg up on the Revolver shooters. Good thing there are Divisions. ;) ) Standing reloads are awful. Extra reloads are awful.

- Missing. Which often comes from not calling the shot. At best...a quick split to make up a called miss...worse, a transition back to the missed target...even worse, the extra reload.

I'll add the ones I'm most guilty of:

Not knowing where the next target is and

Not knowing exactly where to hit a position that will enable you to either see all targets visible from that position, or to at least see the beginning targets, if it's one of those tight spaces with a big swing where you have to keep shuffling....

And:

The mostly shooting production induced I'm moving so I'd better reload, thereby dropping my mag with 15 rounds on the ground, when I only need another six to finish the course of fire, while shooting Limited....

I've been getting hypnotized by the targets (both steel and paper) more and more lately. Looking for the hits even though I know they are there really slows me down.

On Sunday, the first two shots I fired in the match were two nearly perfect upper A-zone hits and I KNEW it from the sight picture I had after both shots. UNfortunately, as I was shifting to the next target, those two little holes in the head caught my peripheral vision and I spent not only the rest of that stage, but the rest of the match looking for my hits in the target.

At one time, I'd broken myself of this habit, but somehow I'm doing it again and perhaps even worse each time I shoot!

- Looking at paper targets, scoring hits while the clock is running.

- Missing steel.

- Inefficient engagement order.

- Re-seating (double-pumping) magazines on reloads.

- Extra-long last shot (after going dry, having a jam, etc.).

- Looking at feet and fault lines after coming to a position.

- Taking a makeup shot a couple seconds after I stop shooting thus adding an eternity to my time.

- Running all around the bay to get closer to the targets instead of taking shots that are a bit longer and travelling a straighter line when I know damn good and well that I can make the longer shots with no problem.

I found a way to keep myself from looking for the holes in the targets.

If I wear a mosquito net over my head, I can't see the targets well enough to see the holes, but I can see my front sight okay. It actually helped.

Uh, not that I was practicing or anything like that. I was, uh, function testing a new gun. Yeah, that's it. Function testing. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin,

I agree, but I would add, being too concerned about not "Putting yourself/your gun into, and then getting out of, a port, a door, or any other shooting position that you didn't need to be in to make the shot."

Very often a simple base movement is far quicker than pussyfooting around trying to be 'technically correct',

P.D.

P.D.:

Fair 'nough, but I was mostly talking about my unfortunate habit of sticking my gun through a port to shoot, or coming all the way up to a barricade to address targets that are visible further away, or opening blocked doors and then stepping through them to take the targets, even though I can see them before the threshold. Absolutely no economy of motion, and not even tactically sound.

• 2 weeks later...

I think charging the prop/port etc. are very common

also, improper entry into position. and sunday at an IDPA match... taking a knee... super slow at that i shaved a full second off of others draw times just by doing it more efficiently (just dropping my back leg out. not stepping forward to a knee)

several other things like not taking shots on the move. not using the best economy of motion/doing things that don't need to be done.

Movement in general. Most people take it for granted. Its common knowledge there are proper ways to enter/exit a box, but its so much more than that. There's lead steps, cross steps, drag steps, shuffle steps, half steps, weight transfer, open stances, closed stances, hip orientation, etc..., none of this takes into account the range/weather conditions or footware. Erik Warren could probably tell you how many times I slipped and slid around the Open Nationals stages. I didn't have the proper shoes for the terrain. It cost me so much time across the match I couldn't begin to add it up. Shooters don't think twice about breaking down reloads or draws into the "N"th degree to try to save a 1/4 second, but most of them take movement for granted because we've be doing it our entire lives. For example, I don't have to shoot faster than you on a stage to win. All I have to do is beat you to a box by a second and I'll win, all else being equal. Conversely, you have to push your shooting skills harder to catch me. This also increases your chances of making mistakes, making it that much easier for me to win. Take some of your critical thinking skills and start breaking down your physical movement in all aspects of your shooting. You will save seconds, not just fractions without ever having to pull the trigger any faster.