Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More USPSA clubs around Houston or San Antonio

I'm coming up on a mandatory move and get to rank certain offices, but it's not a sure thing where I'll end up. Obviously, Phoenix is #1 as far as USPSA shooting goes...no brainer there. Two other choices I can rank are Houston and San Antonio. I looked on the USPSA website and there are so many Tx clubs that it was taking forever to sort out which town had more clubs within a reasonable (say 2hr) drive.

So, if you live in either city or general area, how many clubs can you get to reasonably? R,

I count 5 from San Antonio that are within 2 hours - but that's looking at it from my Austin perspective. There may be another one or two that I can't reach in that timeframe that the SATX folks can... Houston, I don't know...

Note that the same 5 clubs are within 2 hours of Austin, as well, FWIW ;) With any luck, there'll be one closer in to Austin relatively short term...

Bart,

I lived in Houston for thirty plus years and now live between Austin and San Antonio. My choice would be San Antonio.

River City, Bullet Hole and AlphaMike are USPSA in San Antonio with monthly Matches. Plus there are Steel matches also. The Austin and Corpus Christi USPSA matches are about two hours away.

Lots of list members within about two hours of San Antonio, including Shred, XRE, Merlin, AlamoShooter and many more.

Benny Hills Shop in Corpus is two hours from San Antonio.

Dave Dawson's Shop and the STI plant are two hours from San antonio.

edited for all sorts of reasons.

Central_Texas_Match_Schedule__2_.pdf

Edited by CenTX

<_< I live in San Antonio and have lived in Houston and on the Bay area La Port Austin, grew up near Dallas. lived in many areas for 6 months to a year from Detroit to LA.

I like San Antonio enough to stay for 23 years.

San Antonio is a nice 'town' not quite big city yet. We would welcome you here with open arms

Jamie

I can think of 2 IDPA clubs three USPSA clubs three steel clubs & a Carbine match at three different ranges. Also Sporting clays ranges. the Skeet Nat and the Sporting Clays Nat the Sportsman's Team Challenge Nat are all held in San Antonio.

I would not work in Houston again for twice as much $$, plenty of nice people in both cities

If you can schedule a visit let me know ahead of time and I will give you a tour

Edited by AlamoShooter

+1 to Edwins comment.

Unlike Santa Fe, our matches do not get snowed out. (Hurricanes yes, snow no.)

Come down to Houston in April and shoot the Space City Challenge. Good time to get the nickle tour.

Depending on where you live (I live just north of The Woodlands) you can add in the Brazosland matches each month up near Bryan / College Station. Around an hour and twenty minutes.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Ugh, I think this is gonna turn into "what I hate" but I just found out I got Detroit :(

Gee, I ask for hot and dry and I get cold and snowy....I'm sure that's some kind of joke for a HQ weenie back in DC who hates life.

Ugh, I think this is gonna turn into "what I hate" but I just found out I got Detroit :(

Gee, I ask for hot and dry and I get cold and snowy....I'm sure that's some kind of joke for a HQ weenie back in DC who hates life.

Detroit? I didn't know that place was still open.

Is this one of those deals where they make you stay until you like it? I guess it could be worse, but I don't know if the Feds have any offices there.

Bill

You have got to be kidding. That just sux. Hell, I was actually looking forward to gaining another shooting buddy..

Sorry about your assignment, but welcome to Michigan and Area 5. Matt Cheely will be able to fill you in on the local matches. Hope to see you at the 2009 Area 5 match.

Mike

You are now in the best (Area 5) shooting atmosphere in the country. IMHO. Winters suck....but hell, we got the best people and that makes up for it. :)

Well, I hope that I agree with you later this year! :P

I guess it's a good thing that both my truck and wifey's FJ are 4WD! Actually, her FJ is a freakin' tank in the snow, so we've got that going for us. The other thing is I don't like front license plates and NM doesn't have them so we don't have to put silly plate adapters on our front bumpers. Yes, I'm trying hard to look on the bright side of things!

You are now in the best (Area 5) shooting atmosphere in the country. IMHO. Winters suck....but hell, we got the best people and that makes up for it. :)

I guess it's a good thing that both my truck and wifey's FJ are 4WD! Actually, her FJ is a freakin' tank in the snow, so we've got that going for us. The other thing is I don't like front license plates and NM doesn't have them so we don't have to put silly plate adapters on our front bumpers. Yes, I'm trying hard to look on the bright side of things!

I'm a little bummed about this :angry2: I was hoping you were coming to Dallas!

I'm a little bummed about this :angry2: I was hoping you were coming to Dallas!

You and me both brother!

Bart,

In regards to a Boston position. You could live in New Hampshire and drive into Boston. Not to mention the politicians here would keep you busy!

Well, it's not even an option now....Detroit or quit. Actually, I can put in for a headquarters job, but that would be after I get to Detroit. Those include firearms instructor jobs at Quantico, so that's my likely out if we're not happy in Detroit (or a satellite office which is a possibility). There are some rules on how far away you can live from the office, but I have no idea what they're like in Boston. In more expensive places they're more flexible since trying to get a new agent to afford a place in NYC or San Fran is unrealistic...but that means for ugly commutes. Ugh...