Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What the heck. Bent over to tie my shoes - felt a weird sliding feeling in my back. Pain down the back of my left leg, then numbness in the back of the leg and left foot, severe pain in the calf muscle. The pain down the back of the leg didn't even last a day so I didn't think too much of it.

MRI results today show a large bulged disk at the L4 S1 disk, if that sounds right? Doctor said he didn't worry about the pain down the leg, but is concerned with the leg numbness lasting so long. He did rule out any sort of blood clot with an immediate ultra-sound of the leg. He does not think I should let this go for an extended period of time before I get it fixed. He says the bulge is a big one, may have been caused by a previous injury, age, or who knows. He doesn't think the Chiropractor will do much good, is instead thinking coritzone shots to hopefully reduce swelling in the disk, or surgery. Recommends and welcomes second opinions.

I am guessing several on this forum have gone through the same thing. Just curious as to opinions, especially cortizone shots. I have not heard a lot of any long term good coming from that sort of therapy.

I didn't feel overly rushed or worried to come to a decision because I really don't feel much pain. I am now a little more concerned because of the lingering numbness.

Will be speaking with the surgeon later this week.

I blew out 2 discs (higher up, C6-C7 and C7-T1) and didn't get them fixed for a year. The numness and loss of fine motor control to my right hand is apparently permanent, as it has been 4 years since the surgery. They missed the blown discs and broken C7 when I initially went to the hospital after the crash and the numbness and loss of control set in and got worse over time. If I had gotten it fixed early, I might be in better shape.

I was curious about the Chiropractor repair also. The Dr. told me that everything was in correct alignment in my back (according to the MRI), just the stuff in between is no longer where it is suppose to be (or sticking out a lot further than it is suppose to be). I was under the impression that chiropractors basically re-align your body if you throw it out of wack.

Worth looking into.

Also look to a physical therapist. I used to go to a chiropractor regularly. After a while it seemed my back went out of whack too easily. I had numbness in my right leg, and my foot felt like I had sand in my shoe (best description of the tingle) I went to my doctor, and she sent me for therapy after X-rays. The exercises took care of the leg, and my back didn't go out any where as often. The explanation was that a lot of back pain is due to weak muscles.

It worked for me, it may not for everyone.

Good luck with getting the problem taken care of.

There are two things I never want a surgeon near, my spine and my wallet. I know, minimally invasive surgery has gotten better, but before I let anyone cut on my spine, I'm getting 5 opinions from non-surgeons to make sure that physical therapy isn't going to work.

#1 if you have an MRI confirmation of a disk herniation that is impinging on a nerve follow the advice to stay the hell away from the chiropractor.

#2 try the ESI (epidural steroidal injections) I have three herniated discs L2-3 L4-5 and L5-S1. The shots worked for me very well over the last 3 years.

#3 if the shots do not improve the symptoms then consider surgery. Look up Endoscopic Microdiscectomy for an explanation of the most likely technique for you.

#4 find an aggressive therapist/doctor combination. strengthening your stabilizing muscles will help in the near future with the existing pain and help to significantly reduce the chance of a reoccurence.

I finally had surgery on one of the discs two weeks ago and so far it seems to be going very well.

Feel free to pm with any questions.

Good Luck, Craig

Final straw for me came after bending ove to get a pair of jeans...POP. Fused the lower two vertibre in My back and had a Titanium cage put around the spine. I P.M.ed you my # for other reasons but call anytime Brian! Kurt Miller

I have broken L3 - L4 and L5 and have fought multiple bulging discs for 20+ years. My advice... get two opinions and try Physical Therapy before you use surgery.

Even CSEMARTIN will I'm sure agree that the knife ESPECIALLY ON THE SPINE may be required but it should be the last resort.

Even with all I've done to my back... mild medication, lots of PT, keeping my weight down, and regular exercise has allowed me a pretty normal range of activities.. shooting, riding my motorcycle, water sports, hunting etc.

Good Luck.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Had the same thing go bad overseas in '03, L5/S1 herniated, bulged, slipped, all different names for the same thing...the spongy material that acts as shock absorbers between the bone vertibrates has "escaped" it's membrane and is now rubbing against, or pushing on a nerve.

If its the psyiatic (dont know if that is spelled right) the pain is intense, other nerves not so bad.

I lucked out and instead of an Army Doc when I got back to the States I got to go out to Pinehurst, NC where all the rich retired golfers hang out, and had a nationally known Sawbones cut on me. He told me that the range of treatment options went basically: do nothing; physical therapy; chiropratic; steroid therapy; micro surgery (minimal incision, done like most knee surgeries now); standard surgery (big incision); and finally fusing (removing all the spongy material and "welding" the bones together).

According to him, the biggest difference between them is the amount of time it takes to get relief....obviously doing nothing gets no relief soon, disc fusion is immediate, but of course has disadvantages in mobility afterwards. However, in 10-15 years according to this guy, basically no matter which one you went with, all patients end up in about the same "state."

He did say that if the spongy material is pressing directly on the nerve, mine was, and it sounds like yours is, that a decision as to what I wanted to do should be made quickly as nerve damage is permanent.

I went with micro discetomy...again, basically using the Scope to go in and remove the material that had escaped the sheath and was pressing on the nerve. Went in at 8am...actually into surgery at 11am, post op ICU to wake up at 1pm...recovery at 3pm and walked out of the hosptial under my own power at 5 that evening.

Still have that "sore back" that 20 years of service as a paratrooper will get you, but the specific pain brought about by the bulging disc is gone....and I did serve two more tours overseas after surgery and all is good so I am glad I did it.

My Doc also pointed out that us Americans are always is such a hurry we end up screwing ourselves in the long run...watch an American go up the bed of a truck and grab something heavy like a foot locker and lower it to the ground, they will do it in a single move...lifting and turning and lowering in one motion...BAD, BAD, BAD for the back...watch a European and they will pick the item up, turn their entire body, then lower it to the ground....once my Doc pointed that out, I became much more aware of the things that we do that involve lifting and rotating at the waist and am very careful not to do them....

And that is all I know about that! :)

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and best wished for a speedy recovery.

Edited by CDRODA396

I would talk to a neurosurgeon and see what's going on. I know so many people who have had back surgery... some with horrible results. If the buldge can go away on its own that would be great. Atleast you did not herniate a disc. Be careful and try to AVOID any twisting, lifting, or any extreme bending/hyper extension. I was born with genetic L5 S1 problems. It is definitely no fun.

Good luck and be well!

All good points so far. But I'll try to add some info for you . Thank God I've never had major bad problems but my wife has had 4 back surgeries... 3 on L4-L5 and 1 on L5-S1. Her first three were on L4-L5 and the first two were std surgery- the rest were micro surgeries. The last surgery she had was on L5-S1 and it was a HUGE herniation. I couldn't believe how bad it was when I saw her MRI.

Here's the thing. Most good doctors will exhaust all other possible avenues- BEFORE suggesting surgery. Most herniations will "heal" themselves but there are exceptions in people and situations. As mentioned- permanent nerve damage can occur if numbness continues for many weeks. You know it's a big issue when you have "foot drop"- that is when the nerve damage is so severe that you lose strength in your foot. If that happens- it's probably time to give surgery a serious thought.

After my wife's first 3 surgeries on L4-L5 we really wanted to avoid surgery since after everytime there was a reoccurance of the herniation. But when you can't walk and are in constant pain with all the meds the doctors can give you- it can't be ignored. Before her surgeries- she did everything- injections, steroids, acupuncture, chiropractor- you name it.

If you have foot drop- find a GOOD doctor right away- the good surgeons are pretty busy and you want to line one up soon so you have that option. I hope things work out for you... I know it can be a terrible thing to deal with.

I would talk to a neurosurgeon and see what's going on.

YES!!! Don't trust the ortho doc's when you are talking about your spine.

I blew out 3 disc's... same type of scenario, bent over in the shower to wash my foot and boom (and I was only 26 at the time)...

Of course... the Army doc's said it was pulled muscles... for 2 years.

I tried physical therapy... didn't work.

Then, injections. Felt good for about 2 days.

Finally went to see a neurosurgeon on my own and he was surprised I was still walking. Blew out L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1. The worst was L4-L5. The bulge came out, and was going half-way down to L5-S1 space. Turned out I had broken my back at some point...

Once the neurosurgeon saw the MRI, was scheduled for Surgery the following week. You can't believe how much better I felt. When you wake up from Surgery and say... wow... I feel better... :cheers: He did micro-surgery. I took pain pills for a whole whopping 2 days. Was back to work in a week (office job... sitting at a desk). If the job at the time was manual labor... probably would have been about 2 months.

Now... I'm not saying go straight to surgery. Something like 90% of herniated discs can be fixed without it... but if it's so bad that you have numbness... time to see a neuro and get his opinion.

I'm probably about 90% of where I was before. I can't stand in one spot for more than a few minutes without my back tightening up, but as long as I'm moving I'm good. The surgery was just shy of 4 years ago.

Just my $0.02

Frank

I haven't been through it, but I've watched slipped disk's cripple my father. One thing I did take away from it: Seeing chiropractors every week is no fun, and not a permanent solution... seems there's a reason why it's still considered an 'alternative' medicine. Don't let it go, do whatever you can to avoid any future issues...

I know what your talking about. I blew out my disk between L5-S1. I finished 2 quarters of collage like this and did the steroid injections x3. Well the injections were very temporary. One shot a week for 3 weeks and I was pain free for 2 whole weeks! :surprise: Then it was back to the severe leg pain. Of course I had a asshat dr. that wouldn't prescribe anything for pain control other that 600mg Motrin. Woopy! The Resident Dr. that did my second injection hit something in my back and that spot would hurt bad for about 10yrs after.

I ended up having surgery to clip out the blown disk. Well 6 weeks later I was out water skiing. My advise is find a GOOD NEUROSURGEON, with lots of experience and get the surgery if thats what he thinks. It also never hurts to get a second or third opinion. My surgery will be 20yrs ago this summer. Good luck and take care.

Again emphasis NEUROSURGEON!!!

Jon Galde RN

Edited by snertley

Lined up for a Neurosurgeion next week. Just getting more advice.

The whole problem is that I really don't feel much pain, just the numbness in the leg and foot. I actually only went to the Doctor in the first place because I feared some sort of circulation problem in the leg. To find the problem was in my spine, was a bit of a surprise.

I will be checking all of the options.

Thanks for all of the good advice.

#1 if you have an MRI confirmation of a disk herniation that is impinging on a nerve follow the advice to stay the hell away from the chiropractor.

#2 try the ESI (epidural steroidal injections) I have three herniated discs L2-3 L4-5 and L5-S1. The shots worked for me very well over the last 3 years.

#3 if the shots do not improve the symptoms then consider surgery. Look up Endoscopic Microdiscectomy for an explanation of the most likely technique for you.

#4 find an aggressive therapist/doctor combination. strengthening your stabilizing muscles will help in the near future with the existing pain and help to significantly reduce the chance of a reoccurence.

I finally had surgery on one of the discs two weeks ago and so far it seems to be going very well.

Feel free to pm with any questions.

+1 to all these comments. I had a micro-discectomy in late Nov of last year. Prior to surgery I was in so much pain -

I couldn't stand or walk for very long.

Try epidurals and PT. If that doesn't work, then get at least two opinions before surgery.

Edited by chp5