Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going to Kona

Putty

Need a polarized lense, no thick frame below (gotta see the golf ball when looking down), needs to cross-over to AK fishing in the wintah and shoot with on sunny days. Lens color advice as well.

Bye frickin snow for awhile.. :cheers:

You puss, just squint and be a man!

On as less serious note, take a good look at the Rudy photochromatic Impact X lenses. The grey are a great all around choice so long as the frame you choose will allow you to see the ball entirely in the lense without moving your head abnormally, and the red absolutely rock for all things shooting. The lenses adjust from a super early match start or tee time where they are all but clear to the harshest of afternoon sun when they get very dark with no effort or input by you, they are the right shade for the conditions automatically. My mistake with them is that the frame I have has the ball outside or partially outside the lens when putting or hitting short irons and mid irons so I went back to the Terminator style bichromatic Ray Ban's for GP use. They work OK for shooting and OK for playing golf but they really aren't great at anything other than making me look even more handsome than normal and driving.

Last time I was in Kona, I don't think I saw the sun. It was raining on one half of the island and cloudy on the other half.

I'm partial to Oakley glasses and I know they make a polarized version for golf and fishing. Personally I've never seen any difference with polarized glasses since they only work when the sun is 90* to whatever you are looking at.

http://www.polarization.com/water/water.html

Maui Jims of course B)"clicky"

What I really like about them is that it eliminates the glare on water so you can actually see the fish or coral below.

Second that. I have a few pairs and they are great. Not cheap but worth it. They are a great sunglass for Hawaii from a company in Illinois. :)

Your gonna need a set or different glasses, Shooting on sunny days will need some shade but I wouldnt think alot. I'd say clear mirrored or a light smoke, sunny sand and beach you'll want a darker lense. and Alaska you'll want a high contrast lense like light copper or yellowish brown.

Forget about the glasses. Go to the Hawaiian Style Cafe in Waimea for 1 meal (cause each meal is probably 3K calories) every day. Huge portions and the food is awesome.

We made the ~40 minute drive each way from kona about 6 times in two weeks for the pancakes, korean fried chicken, loco moco.......

That'll probably be the first place we go to when we go back.

For fishing I like my Action Optics.. they call them polarchromatic.

Since I'll fish until I can't thread on a fly anymore.. it really helps towards the end of the day.

ETA: Now thy're made by Smith

Edited by BerKim

Kona ? They don't have snow there !!!! You tired of all the snow in North Idaho already ? I heard it has only just begun .......... :roflol:

They got snow there 365 days a year man!!!! You gotta measure your seasons in elevation, there's a winter but you gotta look up :cheers:

Make sure you check out the manta rays if you get a chance.

You guys with the oakleys half jackets,...how is the polarization on those? I tried on the Radar Paths today. Velly nice, too much chongo ($).

I love my Oakley Half Jackets. Changing the lens is rather simple and you can get them in your perscription if you need that. By the way, shooting USPSA in Hawaii is a lot of fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Maui Jim Makahas for my normal every day sunglasses - Oakley doesn't make a lightweight pair of sunglasses that fit my head anymore, besides the M-Frame. Oakley polarizing is demonstrably not a true polarizer - comparing them side by side w/ MJs or other true polarizing sunglasses, the Oakleys don't cut the glare or haze quite as well, but they still work OK.

My wife has MJs w glass lenses. Those are nice, too, but heavier than my Makahas (which are super light weight).

I bought my wife a pair of Ray Ban polorized wire frame sunglasses for christmas, and bought myself a pair of Oakly Titanium frame non-polarized red iridium sunglasses. We took a 6 hour drive on christmas eve to go see her family. Very sunny day here in Florida. I had a headache 1/2 hour into the trip from the glare on the dashboard and the road. My wife sais "try my Ray Bans", I did, and never put the Oakly's on my face again. Exchanged them as soon as we got back for the polarized raybans. They would serve you well in hawaii.

Forget the shades brah!

Go down to the scuba shop and get a mask and fins and snorkle and hit the water!

Its like swimming in your own private aquarium.

Maui and the Big Island had areas where the fish were unbelievable.

Rent a GOOD underwater camera and take lots of pics.

NEVER leave ANYTHING of any kind of value in you car.

Property crime in Hawaii ESPECIALLY stealing from vehicles is very high.

Other than that ...relax and enjoy it.

JK

I just got a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets and love them. I also have a couple pairs of Maui Jims, and Revos (OK, I admit it: I'm partial to high-end sunglasses : )

In my opinion, Revos used to have the best optics out there, but the quality has absolutely plumetted in the last several years; I've had 2 pair literally fall apart within months, and the optcs are noting like they used to be (probably somthing to do with their acquisition by Luxottica... ) I still really like Maui Jims - they're very well-made, and the optics are almost as good as Revos of the 80's and 90's....

But I have to say that Oakleys rock for anything active. They're light, comfortable, and well made. And the optics in their poly lenses are so good, you'll wonder why you ever bothered with glass.

I have been researching lenses for them (since the storage case accomodates the shades, plus 2 spare sets of lenses. The VR28 Polarized are a great choice... lets in 16% of light (good enough for all but intense sun, but still passable for heavy overcast days) and they are very high contrast with good color accuracy... e.g. good for seeing the red or green dot ; ) I also picked up a set of clear lenses for indoor shooting, reloading, etc, and a set of VR28 Black Iridium Polarized lenses for intense sun.

FWIW, polarized lenses are worth it in my opinion. There are several options from Oakley, and all Maui Jims are polarized.

Edited by Xfactor