Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else change out slide stops?

mike4045

I have started shooting a Glock after years of 1911/2011. I have had problems activating the slide stop with my off hand. I am not sure if it is my palm or thumb. I recently changed out to a std slide stop instead of the extended version that came on the guns. I have a 34 and 35 and it happens with both guns. I don't remember it happening on my 17 or 22. I hope this fixes the problem. I am not sure what else to try. I am starting to shoot production to get ready for Double Tap and the La Rue match.

Mike

Absolutely. The extended magazine release is an important component in this sport, the extended slide stop lever is a horrible addition for our sport.

Ditch it and install the non-extended slide stop lever...and never look back.

i changed out my extended stops for the standard ones.

ditto here...just changed because my strong hand (RH) thumb kept hitting it. When it happened it was usually after a mag change or if I had a bad grip. So I would regrip and my thumb would hit the slide lock. The extended SL where convienent but not worth the problems in a match.

LP

<lone voice on the opposite side of the fence mode>

I like the extended slide release - haven't had any problems w/ it (I have really small hands, which may be the difference).

I also use the extended mag release.

You can also grind on the G34 slide stop as well. Thanks, Eric

I would not recommend this modification unless you are shooting Production and have a desire to be bumped into Open.

Do it right the first time: A standard slide stop lever costs $3.

There is also the possibilty that it might not solve your problem.

I can't use a thumbs forward grip without activating the stop (regular or extended) on a Glopck 22 or 23. Even though I shoot a wee bit better groups with the thumbs forward hold, I just gave up and went back to a thumbs down grip, as the slight decrease in groups did not make up for the problems.

Hope you have better luck.

I have started shooting a Glock after years of 1911/2011. I have had problems activating the slide stop with my off hand. I am not sure if it is my palm or thumb. I recently changed out to a std slide stop instead of the extended version that came on the guns. I have a 34 and 35 and it happens with both guns. I don't remember it happening on my 17 or 22. I hope this fixes the problem. I am not sure what else to try. I am starting to shoot production to get ready for Double Tap and the La Rue match.

Mike

Just replace the extended with the standard slide stop from a G17/G22.

I had the same problem of hitting the extended slide stop with my thumb during recoil.

I can't use a thumbs forward grip without activating the stop (regular or extended) on a Glopck 22 or 23.

That's interesting because for most of us it's not the thumb but the palm of the left hand that bumps the extended slide stop and clears the standard.....

The thumbs are forward but floating off to the side of the gun.....

I don't really see a difference either way. I have yet to accidently engage or disengage the slide stop in either configuration. I think that it all depends on your grip. I have gorilla mitts, so my support hand is a little further forward on the grip, so my thumb clears the stop.

It's a three minute change and I'd strongly recommend it if your having trouble. I've changed my Glock 34 & 35. Two years ago I took a class from Dave Sevigny and discovered you've got to go with what works for you. I keep my thumbs forward along the frame and the extended slide stop gets in the way.

I locked the slide back on myself after reloads on 3 stages at Double Tap. Changed out the slide stop and never happened again. (My squaddies from that match are the best!!!)

Was it me re-gripping the gun? Hell yea!!!

Will it happen again? Hell NO!!!

When my G35 arrived with a non-extended slide stop I smiled. Some times living right just pays off!!!

B

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced both the extended slide stop and the mag release on my G34. The extended mag release was just a comfort thing, I couldn't stand it digging into my hand.

If you are shooting with a good thumbs forward grip you will eventually hit that extended slide stop, and it will usually happen at the worst time.

Lefty here. I need the extended slide stop and have to remove the extended mag button because it scrapes my shooting hand............

+1

For lefties there is no need to replace the slide lock, but you may need to replace the extended mag release.

I'm one of the few I guess, I have the extended slide stop and I put on an aftermarket extended mag release on my 35 and have no issues. The only issue I ever had is I had a slide stop spring break and so it was just jiggling there and it popped up in recoil and locked it back but that was due to a broken part so I don't consider that in the same boat. But the majority, as you can see, is to remove it. Go with what works for you.

Edited by jbullgpd

• 2 weeks later...

Timely thread for me. I have shot G17, G34 and G35 with extended slide stop without problem... until now. I added a Dawson Magwell on my G35 and I think it caused my grip to change just enough so I was hitting the slide stop in the middle of my magazine. I first thought it might have been a mag or COL problem. Replaced it with a std slide stop and I think it's all set now.

The question is:

In Limited- can you grid the part of the slide stop that hits the follower to ensure it doesn't happen again? Is there any real need in USPSA to have the gun lock back? And lastly- if you simple remove the slide stop will that cause any problems? I know some Open guns that won't lock back but I think they modify the followers not the slide stop itself.

All of our issue G22 and G23s come with the extended slide stop and we typically change them out for the standard slide stop on a very large percentage of trainees. It's extremely common. I was in that same boat and now all of my Glocks have the standard slide stop. R,