Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Smith to Tune STI Mags?

Fullauto_Shooter

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got several STI .38 Super mags that need tuning - any recommendations on who can do this? Looking for the best combination of quick turn-around, quality work, and value.

My first thought was Benny Hill, but willing to listen to other suggestions too.

Howard Smith hands down for me!

HSMITH is his forum user name. :cheers:

Everybody is right--Howard (HSMITH) is great; however, he is backed up for months!!!!!

What are your mags doing that you feel they need tuning? Could be you just need different followers/springs/basepads.

Doug,

If you would like to try out some H smith mags, I have a set you can look at or touch, and maybe "BORROW", but can not keep........His back log is getting pretty long.

Shooters Connection sells his sets of mags on their web site.

I can bring them to the next Austin match if you want to see them.

Jerry Snyder

I'll put the mag tuning God Beven Grams up there! All, and I do mean ALL of my mags are Grams and ZERO issues with them.

Rich

+1

Bevan did my STI 9 big stick and it worked great.

I thought Bevin quit tuning mags (because he got so backlogged at one point), and now just sells new mags that he pre-tunes?

I'll put the mag tuning God Beven Grams up there! All, and I do mean ALL of my mags are Grams and ZERO issues with them.

Rich

+1

Bevan did my STI 9 big stick and it worked great.

I thought Bevin quit tuning mags (because he got so backlogged at one point), and now just sells new mags that he pre-tunes?

AFAIK, Beven will not work on customer's mags. He only sells tuned SPS mags now.

I have mags tuned by Beven from years ago that still run like butter and look good too. All I have to do is replace the spring/followers when they need to be replaced.

I have more tuned by Howard that work the same as ones by Beven. They work all the time and I dont have any problems with them and he has more of my mags now since Beven is working on other projects.

Howard does such a good job that he is now the victim of his own success.......... :roflol: and that is a good thing for us.

Howard's work is worth the wait, as they have a proven track record and work all the time, period.

Another plug for buying them from Shooter's Connection. Chuck's whole family shoots, and he sells the good stuff!

no, not a paid endorser, just a very happy customer that is very selective where he spends his meager toy money.....

Doug,

If you would like to try out some H smith mags, I have a set you can look at or touch, and maybe "BORROW", but can not keep........His back log is getting pretty long.

Jerry Snyder

Jerry,

If you don't mind doing this, that would be great. I contacted Howard and he's not accepting any new work until after the new year, but agreed to do the work then. He provided some VERY detailed explanations to me via PM on this forum and really took the time to explain how different tubes, base-pads and springs affect capacity.

I'd love to see your HSmith mags first-hand and maybe run some rounds through them with my gun. Thanks again for the kind offer.

Doug Johnson

Doug,

No problem, I also have some Brazo's tuned mags you can try. If possible, lets try to get on the same squad that day.

Cheers,

Jerry

Doug,

Jerry Snyder

Jerry,

If you don't mind doing this, that would be great. I contacted Howard and he's not accepting any new work until after the new year, but agreed to do the work then. He provided some VERY detailed explanations to me via PM on this forum and really took the time to explain how different tubes, base-pads and springs affect capacity.

I'd love to see your HSmith mags first-hand and maybe run some rounds through them with my gun. Thanks again for the kind offer.

Doug Johnson

I'm afraid the options are limited if you have existing mags to be tuned.

Beven Grams does fine work but has given up tuning customer's mags.

Howard Smith also has a reputation for doing fine work but is backed up badly.

It basically took about 6 months to get my 38 super mags tuned.

If you want to buy a tuned set (or individual mags), you can get them from Brazos custom.

Shooters connection has limited availability on new sets from Howard Smith.

If you can wait the wait, send existing mags to Howard.

If not, sell your existing mags and apply the money toward a new pre-tuned set.

Tony

Edited by 38superman