Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Food for thought!

Jay6

I was thinking about the "what if's" of another weapon ban and my thoughts shifted to USPSA. What if legislation again banned hi cap mags? Would open and limited class slowly get phased out? I know that existing mags would probably be ok to own and use but new shooters would not be able to get into it. Over time an existing shooter would not be able to obtain additional mags if theirs broke. Thoughts?

We went through this from 1994-2004 and open & LTD survived just fine.

Well obviously there was some affect because wasn't that the time that they created "limited 10" to allow shooters to enter the sport? Don't get me wrong, I shoot open and do not want the cost of my big stick to go through the roof. I just thought it was worth a discussion.

I know that existing mags would probably be ok to own and use

That is not a given. When they legislated mag restrictions ion NJ they did not grandfather anything.

Ok, well that would pose even greater of a problem for the sport. I am still not sure what the logic would be to pass another ban as the previous one did not lower any of the vital statistics they were hoping but it still wakes me every now and then thinking about it.

That is not a given. When they legislated mag restrictions ion NJ they did not grandfather anything.

Ok, well that would pose even greater of a problem for the sport. I am still not sure what the logic would be to pass another ban as the previous one did not lower any of the vital statistics they were hoping but it still wakes me every now and then thinking about it.

So you think a couple more reloads per stage, or perhaps less 32 round stages would be toxic to this sport? One would have to be pretty lame to quit shooting simply because he could no longer use more than a 10-round magazine.

So you think a couple more reloads per stage, or perhaps less 32 round stages would be toxic to this sport? One would have to be pretty lame to quit shooting simply because he could no longer use more than a 10-round magazine.

There is no room in this discussion for logic or reason! :surprise:

Not at all what I was saying. I started out shooting production and limited 10 and just recently switched to Open. All I was saying is it would tough for someone to have thousands of dollars into gear that can not be used.

Man, does everyone get jumped all over in here when they try and start a normal converstion? :rolleyes:

it's a slippery slope. danger. watch your footing.

everyone for some reason (ok, history) assumes you'd be limted to 10.

what about open-6? what about open-3?

sure it CAN survive, but why are you ok with that?

-rvb

What if legislation again banned hi cap mags? Would open and limited class slowly get phased out? Thoughts?

No worries as there is no such animal as "Open" or "Limited" class.

The classes are U, D, C, B, A, M, and GM. Class represents your shooting ability compared to others.

"Divisions" are determined by the equipment you use for a particular match. B)

(Not jumping on you, it is a common confusion)

I blame Charlie Funk for it and those familiar with the early development of EZ-score will understand why. ;)

Not at all what I was saying. I started out shooting production and limited 10 and just recently switched to Open. All I was saying is it would tough for someone to have thousands of dollars into gear that can not be used.

Man, does everyone get jumped all over in here when they try and start a normal converstion? :rolleyes:

If you think this is bad then go to the reloading area and announce that you are buying a Lee loader. :surprise::roflol:

Chris

Not having a crystal ball, I cannot see what will be. Going on what we had from 94-04, we managed to keep shooting.

I started IPSC shooting in 2001 (Oh, how I wish I had known about it earlier :( ) and I was shooting what I had at the time. In 2002 I bit the bullet and bought an STI. It came with 2 hi cap mags and two 10 rounders. The ban was in effect at the time and you could only replace damaged or destroyed magazines, but the tubes were available. They were about $100 a piece for 140 mm mags.

The point is, I didn't know the ban would end in 2004, I just wanted to shoot limited with hi-caps so, being able to, I spend the $$$$ required to do so. Lim-10 was created, IMHO, to allow those who didn't want to invest in the hi$$$ mags, or were in states that didn't allow anything >10 rounds, to be able to shoot.

Sooooo, I'm not going looking for troubles. I'll be prepared, as much as is possible, for a future ban. But I cannot say if the 'ownership' of hi-caps will be banned or if only the purchase of new ones will. Only time will tell.

That being said, until the time I cannot, I'll shoot my hi caps in limited and open and enjoy every minute of it. :)

fwiw

dj

Edited by dajarrel

If you think this is bad then go to the reloading area and announce that you are buying a Lee loader. :surprise::roflol:

Chris

Well that would be just plain silly :ph34r: