Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

getting laid off, canned, let go, fired, down-sized...

-JQ-

Yup happen to me today at 4 pm.

An Investment/Options Research company (~70 employees) not the best place to be right now. Myself and 6 others got the axe today due to finances...they let go 3-4 in sales last week so I wasn't too surprised...

Oh well.

For sale:

One computer-nerd, videographer/editor/producer, graphic designer, Flash animator, photoshopper, industrial hygienist, photographer, trainer, environmental consultant...burger flipper, car lockout expert...has enough miles to be broken in but not "shot out" yet...has minor mods and with major upgrades, can be re-finished to look like new, may be tough to start in the morning without proper caffination...three day non-firing inspection...

Paperwork upon request...

Joel

Industrial hygienist and environmental consultant are tickets to big bucks if you hook up with the right dry out contractors who do flood and storm work along the East Coast... Big money if you play the game right... (damned snakes.. <_< ) ;)

No doubt. Its the new asbestos - which I was around for... <_<

I forgot to mention aspiring hand model...

I have been there. Sorry to hear that, good luck and prayers to you and yours.

I had to lay someone off in our company earlier this year. It was worse to me than getting the axe. I really don't like to fire people that I like. I hope she finds another job, she is a single mother with two kids. It just eats at me if I think about it too much. <_<

It's tough, and I feel bad for you, but maybe you can turn a kick in the junk into an opportunity: Would you have left that last job for something better? (like most of us, probably yes) Were you actively looking for something better while working that last job? (like most of us, probably no). Most of us fear change, and avoid it. In your case, change was thrust upon you. Often, with change comes something better, hopefully that's what happens to you. Good luck to you.

Joel,

Hang in there. Uncertainty can be a scary thing but stay positive. Losing your job leaves the door wide open to getting a better one.

I posted the same thing here a few weeks ago. And looking back, I can't believe I stayed with that company as long as I did.

Keep your head high and go find a better job.

Best wishes!

It just opens the door to better opportunities. I ended my job today and start a new one on Monday. I've been looking for a couple of months knowing that mine was ending.

If you're in the 'nati, there are alot of companies hiring in the blue ash, west chester, mason, and northern cinc. area.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the encouragement gang!

I'm not too worried yet. Now I can get a few things done...like set up my loaders which I have neglected.

And now I have plenty of time to visit the BMV for my OH tags... <_< I never seem to have ALL the things they want when I go there. I feel like Monty Hall works there "Do you have a buffalo head nickel?" No, no I don't. "see you next time"

Of course the family said well I guess you can sell some of those guns..."What the..." How will I kill my food? ;) I may thin the herd a bit but let's not go CRAZY. Its funny, now they focus on my guns and not my bikes for a change.

I've already had one friend offer to let me work on his computers for him. My GF says I can be her "poolboy"... :wub:

Time to cowboy up and beat the brush!

Sometimes things happen for a reason.

My gf was laid off last year in February. She's a drafter for civil engineering firm that does commercial developments. Turns out, they prematurely let her go. She wasn't suppose to go during the 2nd round of lay offs. She was laid off on Monday, by Friday, she had a new job with another firm that just got a huge contract to do canals here in the Sacramento flood plain. She's now the Cad Coordinator and getting paid about 25% more. Oh the other company is now down to a skeleton staff working 32 hours a week and they don't know how much longer they will last. Looking back, it was actually good that she got laid off because most drafters today can't find work.

" Good luck Joel. Today marks 30 months for me..... "
But Nik, you were in school all this time!

I got laid off in August after eight diligent months on a new, interesting, part-time legal office gig. Boss then wants to cut corners and make someone do MY job and hers, too. Lays me off with two weeks' severance pay. Nutshell: Two months later I'm back on the job with more hours and a modest rise in pay. Heh. Other employee not only didn't have time for MY task set but didn't actually take that well to it and things weren't working out well. I was back on the job in an instant, fully-trained, happy as a clam (so were my former dept associates) and functioning marvelously.

What was scary though was, at my age and given the market conditions in Eugene, Oregon (virtually NEVER good, even when times are "up"), I was looking at no work prospects whatsoever. Moreover, the State of Oregon automated unemployment application system is currently not functioning correctly, so unemployed folks can't easily apply for benefits (I wasn't particularly interested in collecting unemployment anyway--too restrictive). I have no idea when that portion of the system is going to be fixed, either.

But take heart, employment surprises DO HAPPEN sometimes when you least expect them. It's happened to me more than once. And this most recent one simply had to be one of the best ones ever!

" Good luck Joel. Today marks 30 months for me..... "
But Nik, you were in school all this time!

Pretty close. I spent six months looking for work as a newspaper/magazine/wire service photographer or editor or photoshop geek --- then started thinking about other things. Eight months in I applied to nursing school and started learning independently --- Algebra, Anatomy & Physiology, Psychology. Wednesday I wrap up the third of four semesters of nursing school; one more and a national licensing exam and I should finish the career reboot process.....

In retrospect, my former employer did me a huge favor.....

good luck to you sir... had same thing happen to me the week before thanksgiving.. i was laid off from an a/c refrigeration company in fla.... go figure... any hoo. took a day to deal and beat bushes.. got very lucky and found new job in 48 hrs.. was truly blessed had lots of good folks rooting for me as i will for you.... one door closes another will open.. just gotta have the key!!! here is to hoping ur key turns up quickly.... :cheers: