Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to the game

Titanium Eagle

Hello all

I am new to competitive shooting and I have lots of questions because Ilike to make informed decisions.

!st a little background on me. I am a 43 year old workaholic that does not play golf. I have hunted all my life but work keeps me from doingg this as mucjh as i would like. I live in NJ and have a home with property in PA where i can shoot freely. I own a 92F, a SS380, a S&W22 and a beretta 22.

I have 2 pistol permits on the way which might take a while but i plan on buying a 357 and a 1911.

OK here come the questions.

1 What gun do you guys and gals recommend for a beginner to the game? I like Sprinfield Armory Trophy Match and Para. I do not mind spending the money.

2 What do you recommend for a timer?

3 What is the best holster, mag holder and belt I can use?

4 I already purchased Enos and Burnett tapes and books what else can i do to speed up the process.

This looks like a great community and i am excited about entering into it. Any help and information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Hello all

I am new to competitive shooting and I have lots of questions because Ilike to make informed decisions.

!st a little background on me. I am a 43 year old workaholic that does not play golf. I have hunted all my life but work keeps me from doingg this as mucjh as i would like. I live in NJ and have a home with property in PA where i can shoot freely. I own a 92F, a SS380, a S&W22 and a beretta 22.

I have 2 pistol permits on the way which might take a while but i plan on buying a 357 and a 1911.

OK here come the questions.

1 What gun do you guys and gals recommend for a beginner to the game? I like Sprinfield Armory Trophy Match and Para. I do not mind spending the money.

4 I already purchased Enos and Burnett tapes and books what else can i do to speed up the process.

This looks like a great community and i am excited about entering into it. Any help and information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Welcome to the Forums, Pete! :cheers:

You posted the question in the right Forum. Did you read all the posts? LOTS of info directly related to your exact questions.... :)

Welcome Pete! :cheers:

I'll let the more experience shooters answer your questions. Well, almost. :roflol: IMO, you should check out a STI Trojan http://shootersconnection.com/guns/Trojan5/Trojan5.htm Sweet! As far as holsters, take a look here http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php. Belts? Check out http://thebeltman.net/index.htm

Stay Safe,

A.T.

Hello Pete,

Lots of info is gonna come your way.

The STI Spartan is a very good deal on a 1911 gun. If you want more then go for an STI Edge and let the rounds fly !

Holster / Belt, I would definately go with the CR Speed belt system, for a holster I would look into Blade-Tech for something that fits the division that you want to shoot.

Check out the newer tapes that are out from Saul Kirsch. And the books by Steve Anderson.

Chuck at Shooters Connection would be a very good person to talk to about guns, holsters, videos and a whole lot more.

Good Luck and Have Fun !

Welcome!!! I think a Springfield Trophy Match is awesome or a STI Trojan too. I don't think you can go wrong buying a 1911 and shooting it in the Single Stack or Limited 10 divisions for at least the first year or more. You will learn the game without sinking a ton of money in gear and the extra money you will save by not buying a high dollar limited or open gun you can spend on ammo. This will get you way farther down the road. It is all about rounds down range. Also, when you start shooting matches ask questions. You will find the folks in our sport are very forth coming and will always be willing to help. This forum is a wealth of info as well. Any question you have just do a search and you will undoubtedly find it.

Tim

Edited by tpcdvc

Single Stacks rule!!! :cheers:

I like the Trophy match for a stock gun, then again I like Springers. STIs are also very nice guns. For belts CR speed inner and outter. For holsters, kydex from comp-tac or blade-tech. Mag pouches either IDPA legal types like from Comp-tac or race type from CR speed.

Wow!!

Thank you all for the welcome and for the quick response. Because I live in NJ I think it will be at least 30 days before I see my pistol permits. I want to buy the right gun that can grow with me if I stick with this. Until them I will be using the 92F. I think I should get a timer ASAP to start some practicing in house. I have been reading posts one the ced7000 and 8000 th 8 looks a bit cumberson . Any thoughts ?

Pete

Edited by Titanium Eagle

1. I would also suggest an STI Trojan. Best gun for the money in my opinion.

2. I have been using a Pact Club Timer III for sometime now and it has been problem free. You might also check out the CED 7000.

3. CR-Speed all the way for belt and mag pouches- holster, I would recommend a CompTac for the 1911.

4. Saul Kirsch has a bunch of great material on improving in this game. Several books and videos which top the list of must have in this category.

Welcome aboard!

You are right, this is a great community, and we are glad to have you. A buddy of mine just picked up a STI Spartan for a starter gun and is very happy with it.

Hope to see you at a match soon.

Guns? Glock 17. Its simple to operate and takes a beating. If you ever move up to a G34, the mags will fit it. Once you learn how to shoot one Glock, you've pretty much learned them all. A G22 is good too. You can shoot production first and then move to Limited later. The mags also fit a G35.

I would not buy a timer right away. Focus on safety, accuracy, and the game itself. Speed comes with practice.

The best holster is a solid kydex holster and mag pouches that fit your budget and the rules of the sport.

Watching DVD's are great. Dry fire helps. Practice is best. Matt Burkett makes some good ones.

I'm not an expert, but.... If you're going to shoot USPSA, buy a modest rig to allow you to shoot Production to start. Master the safety aspects, learn the sport, and most of all enjoy yourself. Talk to local shooters, and find out if any clubs are running clinics or hold weekly practice sessions. There are plenty of training sessions around if you want to travel and spend some money. Find out if a nearby club is hiring someone to come there.

Speaking as one of the many with a drawer full of holsters and gadgets that didn't work out.... Keep it safe, keep it simple, and enjoy yourself. You've got plenty of time to spend LOTS of money, as you get better at the sport.

Safe and happy shooting!

Edited by MLE-ShootingSports

Welcome to the sport. Where do you live in NJ and PA? There's a match this Sunday (Nov. 23, 2008) at Old Bridge, NJ. If you can, why don't you come out and see what people are using and talk to some people. I live near Philly and shoot in the area. You are welcome to contact me about anything.

Edited by racerba

Pete, welcome! I would suggest that you check out the USPSA and IDPA web sites for rules and lots of info. I am lazy so I just type in USPSA or IDPA and locate the organizations home page and go from there. Both organizations have a "club finder" function so check that out too. Once you locate clubs go, watch and ask a lot of questions!!!!! Also, do you reload? It is almost a must unless you are rich or plan to hit the lottery soon. Lots of info to search on that subject here also.

Richard

Edited by chirpy

I would go with the Glock 17 or 34 in 9mm, or the 35 in .40. Bladetec dropped and offset holster, CR speed belt and mag pouches. I would suggest shooting in the Production division for a year or so. You are going to have a blast. There are so many good possibilties and combinations of equipment that no one can tell you decisively what is the best. I think the Glock is a good first choice because they are so easy to modify and work on, and the aftermarket is huge. Plus they just run and run. Chirpy's advice is great. Have fun, welcome to the best sport ever and some of the best people you'll meet!!

I would go with the Glock 17 or 34 in 9mm, or the 35 in .40. Bladetec dropped and offset holster, CR speed belt and mag pouches. I would suggest shooting in the Production division for a year or so. You are going to have a blast. There are so many good possibilties and combinations of equipment that no one can tell you decisively what is the best. I think the Glock is a good first choice because they are so easy to modify and work on, and the aftermarket is huge. Plus they just run and run. Chirpy's advice is great. Have fun, welcome to the best sport ever and some of the best people you'll meet!!

I thought a Bladetech DOH holster was not legal in Production... or is it not legal in IDPA?

Pete, welcome! I would suggest that you check out the USPSA and IDPA web sites for rules and lots of info. I am lazy so I just type in USPSA or IDPA and locate the organizations home page and go from there. Both organizations have a "club finder" function so check that out too. Once you locate clubs go, watch and ask a lot of questions!!!!! Also, do you reload? It is almost a must unless you are rich or plan to hit the lottery soon. Lots of info to search on that subject here also.

Richard

Thanks Rich

I do not currently reload, but i will look into it. Not sure what your definition of rich is but i will tell you that time is my most valuable asset. With that said what reloader do you recommend and how much time do you spend reloading.

Thanks again

I live in Howell NJ and have a Second home in Preston PA(wayne county)

You're not far from Old Bridge. Check out www.OBRPC.org and come out this Sunday if you can.

I thought a Bladetech DOH holster was not legal in Production... or is it not legal in IDPA?

It's legal for USPSA Production.

Edited by racerba

You're not far from Old Bridge. Check out www.OBRPC.org and come out this Sunday if you can.

There are USPSA "practice" matches at Old Bridge indoor range first and third Friday of every month. It is probably the best place to start. Come on down.

There are USPSA "practice" matches at Old Bridge indoor range first and third Friday of every month. It is probably the best place to start. Come on down.

Thanks

At what time?

Thanks

At what time?

6:30-10:30