Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use of vertical front grip

Julien Boit

I like them on certain stages. With that being said...I will use one if it is allowed that it be removed. Some match rules stipulate that what is attached at the beginning of the match must remain attached. But yes....I do find them to be benefical at times and they can also become very cumbersome at times.

VFGs do have a cool tactical look to them, but you don't really see them as much around here. If you shoot a lot of tight shoot house type stuff, they have a bad habit of getting hung up on window frames and door trim. I like having the extra couple inches of barrel (20"), throw a comp on and it gets tight enough without having to worry about snagging a VFG. With all that said, if you like it and it works for you, by all means enjoy one, just be aware of the snag factor because it is real.

They are legal for limited, Tactical....but you can't use them as a support on any surface, well, unless you wanna shoot open.

That is not entirely accurate. The only prohibited use of the VFG for support is if you rest it on a surface like a monopod. Any other bracing use is legal. It is also legal to rest you hand under the grip in the monopod manner. If I choose to monopod off the VFG, I just curl my little finger under the bottom of the VFG, so there is no contact between the VFG and the surface I am resting it upon.

Total rule gamer I know, but it is legal and it works.

Erik

• 1 year later...

After having seen a few people on 3 Gun Nation using a Vertical Fore Grip, I thought it might be worth revisiting this. LaRue has a QD stubby grip with two plugs that make it a medium or long grip, depending on what you want. It's not cheap but I wonder if it's worth a try.

I used one when I was in the army, and though I'm a civilian now I've kept all my ARs similar to how I had my rifle set up when I was AD. I don't think they give you much of an advantage in a multi-gun scenario but for military/SD/HD type situations where retention may be a factor they definitely help out IMHO. Also I find that VFGs give you a good reference point and a bit more leverage to activate white light tail cap switches (if you're into that kind of thing) ^_^

CAZ

I agree with CAZ. VFG's has a tactical purpose. I used one with when I was in SWAT having to make entry into tight (and often times occupied) spaces. The VFG gave me extra grip for weapon retention and for manipulating the gun around corners. It also allowed me to easily manipulate my weapon mounted light with a pressure switch attached to the VFG.

When I started competiting, I used one but found it to be problematic when shooting over makesift roof obstacles or a large wooden wire spool. I eventually dropped it after realizing that weapon retention is not as important in competitions (unless of course you worry about the guys in your squad).

I did start using one again after I switched to a POF rifle. With the piston system and wider hand guard, I was not able to get a good grip on the rifle. I have now switched to a JP Rifle and the JP hand guard is the best in the market.

I recommend trying a VFG and see if it works for you. I would also agree with going with a stubby one like an Ergo Mini-Max http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4271-BK&storeid=1ℑ=ergominmaxvfg.gif&CFID=2461113&CFTOKEN=18290392

I would also agree with going with a stubby one like an Ergo Mini-Max

I've been using what I think is called the "sword technique" (hand way forward along side with index finger pointed and other fingers curled around the handguard) and it works well but it aggravates a mild case of ulnar tendinitis.

I tried a Magpul angled forward grip and that is as bad or worse, so, I thought I might try a vertical grip for a while. But it seems that few people are using them.

A number of people are using the stubbies as a sort of a handstop, albeit in the reverse of the manner normally thought of. Assuming that you use the Leatham/Enos/"Thumbs-Forward"/Golfer grip, you would maintain the same angle of the weak-hand wrist and still point the weak-hand thumb directly at the target. Put this grip in front of the VFG and use the VFG as a handstop to press against.

Like such:

post-2240-043694800 1284181354_thumb.jpgpost-2240-018778100 1284181371_thumb.jpg

A number of people are using the stubbies as a sort of a handstop, albeit in the reverse of the manner normally thought of. Assuming that you use the Leatham/Enos/"Thumbs-Forward"/Golfer grip, you would maintain the same angle of the weak-hand wrist and still point the weak-hand thumb directly at the target. Put this grip in front of the VFG and use the VFG as a handstop to press against.

Like such:

post-2240-043694800 1284181354_thumb.jpgpost-2240-018778100 1284181371_thumb.jpg

This is the grip I use, which makes me suspect that most folks around here won't like it. :roflol:

Edited to add: My favorite is the Tango Down Stubby grip, but I also use the KAC grip.

Edited by joshua79109

If folks decide to go for a VFG whether full size or snubby I definitely recommend that they pay the extra $$$ and get the quick detach models. All of my long guns are set up for SD/HD, I haven't gotten around to competing in multigun yet, so the main reason I have a QD is so I can pop it off if I need to enhance some kind of hand guard supported position. This was a valuable feature when I was in the army because I would pop it off during qualification as we were using sandbags for supported shooting, then put it back on for everything else like SRM and CQB. I can also see the value of the QD feature for competition. That way if you scope out the match beforehand and see that a VFG may be more of a hinderance than a help you can take it off easily. My personal favorite so far is the tango down QD model.

I use the same VFG grip the braxton 1 shows in his pictures. I think it gives a good compromise in control and sustainability (i.e. not too fatiguing) I think that the sword grip gives you a bit more leverage for driving the gun and controlling recoil but the way my rifles are set up now the BUIS and white light get in the way of this type of grip.

CAZ

I use the same VFG grip the braxton 1 shows in his pictures with one modification in that the index finger is pulled up straight along the hand guard and pointed at the target along with the thumb. I prefer the Tango Down Stubby for this. I feel it gives a good target index and is easier on the wrist.

Out,

2011BLDR

the magpul AFG will give you a bit more natural "thumbs forward" grip with your weak hand. seemed to be a bit more consistant in getting the same grip angle when i had it on my rifle. (i know have a carbon fiber tube so no room for it). Plus i was worried about it making contact with a prop and bumping me to Open...

When I started competiting, I used one but found it to be problematic when shooting over makesift roof obstacles or a large wooden wire spool. I eventually dropped it after realizing that weapon retention is not as important in competitions (unless of course you worry about the guys in your squad).

Now that is funny. :cheers:

• 11 months later...

I was especially thinking about the stubby grip from Tangodown.

It should be easier to use when shooting prone with 20 rounds mags. Some country in europe doesn't allow more than 10 rounds in rifles.

I just bought a tangodown stubby (the old model with the AD QD lever). I am new to rifle and the idea was to use it as a reference point /hand stop to teach myself to use the same grip every time. I do not hold on the grip itself.

I have found that it helps me get a firmer grip on the gun using almost no effort. Unsure if that is really an advantage put it feels better during hoser stages. The biggest benefit for me has been that I am more consistent from the starting position to the first shot. When I have learned to grip the rifle in the same way every time I think I will take it off.

This been said yet?

They are legal for limited, Tactical....but you can't use them as a support on any surface, well, unless you wanna shoot open. :)

Tim

Tim, Where did you find that information.

I could not find it in the USPSA 3gun rules.

Is this a non USPSA thing?

I need to know because I plan on using one for support because of a disability in tactical division.

Thanks